News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Urchin Pop Follow Up Question

Started by das234, September 13, 2013, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I've read a bunch of earlier posts on eliminating the POP on the Sea Urchin.  I attempted to solve it by soldering a resistor (sorry I can't remember what value - it was between 150k and 1M) to the 3PDT.  The POP is still there so I wonder if I put it in the wrong place or maybe I need to change the value.  I soldered it right to the switch between pin 2 and pin 8 (the left and right pins in the middle row).  Is that the right spot?

I followed the standard MB wiring diagram.

Haberdasher

a 100k should work and i think you can just solder it between the sleeve and tip lugs of your output jack (or anywhere else that is output to gnd)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

das234

I got rid of the resistor on the switch and put in the 100k from T to S on the output jack.  I think it's an improvement but it still has a big pop the first time I turn it on.  Then it goes away if I turn it on and off after that. 

Haberdasher

did you ever determine what value resistor you are using there?  try increasing the resistor size and see if it improves- maybe a  220k if you have it?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

das234

I shrink tubed the resistor I put on the switch so I can't tell what it was anymore, but I took that one out and put a 100k on the jack instead.  I'll try bumping it up and see what happens.

das234

Tried 220k and 470k with no luck.  How about if I stick a 1M or 2M pot in there temporarily and sweep it to see if anything works?  If and when it works, just read the resistance at that position and go with that resistor.  Plausible?

hammerheadmusicman

Better than keep taking resistors in and out, that's what I do when testing something like that, tweak till you like, then measure and replace.
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..