News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point SDX Slam Question

Started by bcalla, August 14, 2013, 01:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcalla

I've seen this question asked in a couple of build reports, but I don't think it was ever answered:
Is there a way to tone down the effect of the slam switch? 

I'd like it to either oscillate a little less wildly, or get to that wild point a little slower or both.

LaceSensor

+1

mine goes fucking mental immediately.

kothoma

You could increase R41 a bit.
But this would also affect the possible maximum of the feedback knob.
But maybe that's OK with you.

(Another idea would be to use a resistor in series with the slam switch.
But the right value would depend on the setting of the feedback pot.)

Signal going from right to left:

kothoma

Almost forgot, of course you have read the following in the build doc:

Note that the Slam mod will behave differently depending where the Path switch is set. When the Path switch is set to the right, the Slam function will be nearly instant. When the Path is set to the left, the Slam will be a bit more gradual.

Matt

I think you could put a resistor in series with the slam switch to tone it down a bit.  But it will affect every mode, so if you use too high of a resistance, it may not oscillate in every mode.
Matt

bcalla

I'm away next weekend, so I'll tinker with this by the following weekend & report back what I learn.

bcalla

It took longer for me to get to this than I expected.  Yesterday I decided to try out the in-series suggestion.  I plugged in a bunch of values from 1k to 22k and decided that 18k worked best for me.  It really tames the slam switch, probably way too much for some of you.  But at the lower values, you can get control of it and still retain some of the insanity.

jkokura

Quote from: bcalla on September 01, 2013, 01:50:46 PM
It took longer for me to get to this than I expected.  Yesterday I decided to try out the in-series suggestion.  I plugged in a bunch of values from 1k to 22k and decided that 18k worked best for me.  It really tames the slam switch, probably way too much for some of you.  But at the lower values, you can get control of it and still retain some of the insanity.

I'm thinking I'm gonna install a 22 or 25K trimmer in series on a bit of perf on mine. I like the path switch set to the right, so I need something to tame that slam switch down a bit.

I also have to tweak the repeats values somewhat as well, as almost all modes goes into oscillation way to early.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

This might help:

Values referenced are in the Multiplex but they have analogies in the Zero Point.

QuoteI realized that I needed some resistance between pin 2 and ground for it to work, otherwise I was just grounding lug 3 [...]. So it was simply a matter of connecting to the far side of R21. This put 2K resistance between lug 2 and ground and voila, oscillation at all feedback pot settings. Whew! One weird thing about this, though: There's some extra filtering that never happens when oscillating via the switch. So the repeats from the switch sound different than the ones from the feedback pot.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7720.msg66656#msg66656
and more or less repeated in my ZP:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9314.msg81500#msg81500

madbean

I hope to show a little drop in circuit for more control over the Slam switch soon. I have a few things I've tinkered around with. It would be something small enough to build on perf (maybe three or four components).

LaceSensor

I added a 2K2 in series with a 20k resistor and can get a suitable level of slammage regardless of other settings

YMMV