News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I hate painting enclosures

Started by Jabulani Jonny, March 21, 2014, 03:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

I admit, I didn't prime the enclosure and I didn't put them in the oven. However, it's not too cold and everything is in the garage at the same temp. This was me going for the standard second coat. Fart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

Tremster

I know that.
It adds character. It does.

peAk

me too

Hate painting, hate drilling as well. That being said, I always prime!  ;)

mattlee0037

Painting is the bane of my existence. Need to invest in a powder coat kit...

flanagan0718

Quote from: mattlee0037 on March 21, 2014, 03:10:43 PM
Painting is the bane of my existence. Need to invest in a powder coat kit...
I second that. I have a pedal all done for a customer, graphics, painted, and tested. All I have to do is clear coat. 1st coat ok, 2nd coat huge drips. FML! Well drill a new enclosure and set that one aside to strip and use for something else. In the mean time, I need to convince my wife to let me spend $200 on a powder coat set up.

rullywowr

Powder is the only way to go. I got my Eastwood gun for 69 on ebay. Add a used toaster oven (10-20), air compressor (even a tiny one $50, and some powder $10 and you are set.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

davent

I think i build to paint (and i prime).

Self-etching primer then BIN Primer-Sealer-Stain Killer (heavy bodied primer that sands and smooths out well). Artists acrylic waterborne paints and waterborne lacquer so can work in the house year 'round. Do a bunch of enclosures outside with the self-etching primer before the weather gets ugly in the fall, everything else inside with no worries.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Gledison

Quote from: davent on March 21, 2014, 04:22:57 PM
I think i build to paint (and i prime).

Self-etching primer then BIN Primer-Sealer-Stain Killer (heavy bodied primer that sands and smooths out well). Artists acrylic waterborne paints and waterborne lacquer so can work in the house year 'round. Do a bunch of enclosures outside with the self-etching primer before the weather gets ugly in the fall, everything else inside with no worries.

dave
Hey Dave! Which waterborne lacquer do u use? How does it look in comparison with automotive lacquer? I remember that the waterborne needs some surfactant to stabilize the lacquer particles and that can lead to a kind od orange skin effect!
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

jkokura

Dave's a genius with the paint. No joke.

But I don't paint either. Tried it once or twice. Never made it work satisfactorily. PPP for me!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davent

Thanks guys! The lacquer i'm using these days is Target 7000 which is now the waterborne lacquer Stewart MacDonald sells for finishing guitars. I started with StewMac's but they discontinued it and switched to the Target 7000 and luckily i found a nearby Canadian distributor for it so it's not costly to purchase.

I was having problems regular lacquers over acrylic paint, after a number of months they crack and craze on random projects so gotta say the end result is better with the waterbornes, never any issues. They can be buffed up to a high gloss but i really like how the Target looks raw, the gloss gives a nice consistent matt finish. Applied very lightly with an airbrush.

Have had good results spraying other waterborne woodworking varnishes but the lacquer is much easier/forgiving to work with.

StewMac waterborne

Target 7000 handbuffed

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Jabulani Jonny

Dave,
Your pedals always amaze me. I know you've walked through your paint process, but thanks for reminding me. I'll have to look into it. You have to use an airbrush right?  Which calls for a compressor? 

Jonathan

davent

Those two were airbrush with a great deal of masking with tape and frisket film. Compressor i've had now for quite a few years is a small, noisy regular workshop model. It's not an oiless type which is what is recommended for airbrushing but with moisture and oil filters on the airline i've haven't encountered any problems. And i use a 50' hose between the compressor and the filters so any water should condense before hitting the filter... and that hose reaches well into yard from the basement if i need to do anything outside.

Of late getting brave/chaotic and painting more with regular brushes or anything else that will transfer paint (which leads to a lot of sanding and paint removal), but still the airbrush and masks for controlled painting and then airbrush for clearcoating.

dave