News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

HF hack

Started by Leevibe, April 24, 2014, 11:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Here is my Harbor Freight hack. It's my poor man's tool balancer: 3 janitor-esque key reel things and zip ties. It holds my cheapo heat gun up out of the way, yet at the ready. It's ugly but fun to use. I need to add one more reel to it, but other than that it works perfectly!

alanp

Nice! At work, the slaughterboard has the brisket cutter on an industrial version of that kind of thing. We have a branding iron attached to one during bobbycalf season, downstairs.

I'm guessing Harbour Freight is similar to Bunnings, or Mitre 10?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on April 24, 2014, 11:34:45 PM
Nice! At work, the slaughterboard has the brisket cutter on an industrial version of that kind of thing. We have a branding iron attached to one during bobbycalf season, downstairs.

I'm guessing Harbour Freight is similar to Bunnings, or Mitre 10?

Harbor Freight = all things built cheaply in China. I consider it a great place to buy tools that only need occasional use or are so cheap the cost to replace is negligible. For example, I bought some metal punches there for punching holes for tube sockets in a chassis for an amp build. A set of 4 punches was like $15. The real deal Greenlee punches start at about $40 a piece! I'm sure I wouldn't be able to punch more than a dozen holes before they are useless, but I got what I needed out of them already.

rullywowr

That's a nice hack!  In many production lines they hang air tools and powered screwdrivers the same way.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Leevibe

Quote from: rullywowr on April 25, 2014, 02:34:38 AM
That's a nice hack!  In many production lines they hang air tools and powered screwdrivers the same way.

Yeah, I used to build inkjet printers on an HP assembly line and we had lots of cool tool balancers. I would use a real one but they start at about $50. This is like $4 worth!