News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

HELP!!

Started by SlickNick, April 20, 2014, 12:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlickNick

I bought a handmade pedal 4 years ago second hand. He said it was made by a guy here in TN.  It is a Mythos Overdrive pedal.  It should be noted that I'm new to the idea of making my own pedals and to guitar pedals in general as I'm just now really starting to pick up my electric guitar over my acoustic.  I was naive when I bought it and now I just recently purchased the Pigtronix Polysaturator and it's great. I don't know if I should sell it on here to someone that may be interested or scrap the parts for my own pedal making ventures.  It picks up radio frequencies which is why I'm questioning my purchase lol. It was also acting weird the other night but it worked fine just now on a different power adapter. One power adapter that I used the other night puts out 9.6 v at 200 ma and the one from today puts out 9 v at 1A. Doesn't seem like a catastrophic difference to me. I coulda used the one from the polysaturator the other night (18v) but I doubt it.  It looks like they used quality components though.  I did notice there's a stereo jack on one side and a normal mono jack on the other? Any help would be much appreciated.

midwayfair

Do you mean Mythic Overdrive? It's made by Comfort Player. He posts on BYOC. It's a Klone, and a very well made one.

DO NOT USE THE 18V ADAPTER WITH A KLONE. You will blow up a critical component if you do.

The power adapter has nothing to do with picking up radio signals. It also probably has nothing to do with the pedal construction, circuit, or really anything else. It just happens sometimes. It could be from any number of sources, and it could be your guitar and the pedal was just amplifying it, or amp producing it.

SlickNick

BUMP.  I noticed the PCB is labeled "Neutrino Ver. 3"  I still also need help with the stereo jack on one side and the mono on the other.  It should also be noted that the mono jack only has one wire hooked up...?  It is the tip or "hot" and there's nothing hooked up to the sleeve or "shield."  I'm certainly no rocket scientist but this doesn't make any sense.

davent

The mono jack body/ground is in electrical contact with the enclosure so it's connected to circuit ground by the ground connection wire on the stereo jack. To ensure great electrical contact between the jacks and enclosure you can install inner-toothed lock washers to the jacks, they'll bite into the jacks and enclosure improving contact and help prevent the jacks from loosening up.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

SlickNick

Quote from: davent on May 06, 2014, 05:57:28 PM
The mono jack body/gound is in electrical contact with the enclosure

Didn't think about that.

oldhousescott

It looks like one of Madbean's Neutrino boards (Lovepedal Eternity clone, which itself is a TS variant). I don't see anything obviously wrong with it. The leads to the pots are stripped back a bit far for my tastes, but as long as they are not shorted to the pot case, they're fine. You could tack a 50pF capacitor in parallel to R1, that should help with radio-frequency interference without dulling the tone too much.

The stereo input jack is there to disconnect and save the battery when the input cable is unplugged.