News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Messy Booger...

Started by GrindCustoms, August 04, 2014, 04:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Hey guys! Makes a while i have'nt posted here so here's my latest built.

Couple months ago i've started to brainstorm about my live rig built with utility, ease of setup and that would give me what i need no matter the venue of if my amp shits in my hand and that i have to play in a Bandit112 (nothing against the amp, just very common to have those as slave amps in some place, over here that is.)

So this is the first of couple builts going in that setup.

The Messy Booger «Pre-Multi»

The idea was to have everything that goes in front of the amp (all my time based effects and other stuff goes in the FX Loop usually). But that would'nt become a one trick pony.

Here are the Gut Fillers:

GCFX RottenKomp (LoveSqueeze) with re-locate Bloom pot, jumpered the actual Bloom and installed a B250K pot in the place of R8 iirc, 39K resistor in the feedback loop of IC1B.

IDA Tusk (Klone) with Fat switch (82nf to 390nf) and Growl switch (390nf to 10pf) and built per the newer BOM with mysterious rubber package diodes!!!!! :o

MadBean GreenBean (TubeScreamer) that i named «Booteek Screama'», LM1558 OpAmp, BC109C for the buffers, MA150 Si for Symmetrical clipper and unknown old school Si that all measured 486fwdV for the Assymetrical position. Big thanks to artstomp for the diodes :)

And finally a Gallego Decimator etched by Keefe, built stock.

Then came the preparation of the enclosure:

This thing is a swiss cheeze...  in order from input to output this is what the signal path is:
-Tuner/Mute switch, with send jack to Tuner.
-Compressor Bypass
-HardWired Loop, no switching jack, there will always be something in there.. and space was more than important, using a 1590D, it's quite shallow for the amount of stuff going in it.
-Klone
-Tube Screamer
-Another hardwired Loop
-Decimator (Bypass via toggle switch.

Then came the power requirements!

The primary power input is 18V, so i built a small daugther board on vero with a L7809 Vreg and 220uf caps at it input and output. The 9V is then routed to a DC outlet (for later daisy chain)  and to the Decimator 3PDT daugther board that will give power provision to the Klone too. The 2 other effects, TS and Komp run directly from the 18V source.
Each side of the 18V input there's 2 other power outlets with 100R resistor on their positive end to prevent the chance of voltage ripple. One of the outlet will be used to feed the future «Post-Multi» and the other one... ...well... it was looking nice and you never have enough power sources! :D
I use a linear 18V 2A PSU to supply this pedal, so it will handle the duty of feeding the whole pedal board, once everything will be linked together.

Onto buidling now!

Tuner/Mute switch, Komp, Hardwired loop between Komp and ODs.....done!

Klone and Decimator in.... Sandwich stylee!

Booteek Screama' is in!

I added some symmetrical LED clippers, going from Lug2 of SPDT (Common) and Lug1 of Gain pot. That way the LED are always in the feedback loop, using a SPDT OnOffOn switch, when in Off you get LED instead of harsh low end loss lifted diode not so goodness sound.... ....and square blinkers, because it's cool!

Guts complete!

More guts, because there's never enough! ;D

And here's what it looks like from top.....

Final shot and talking.........makes 35minutes that i'm typing this damnit!

The enclosure before anything is installed in, this was the first time that i perform the «grind worn» on such a large surface, i'm pleased by the result but it could be better and i've found how to improve it for the next ones. On a smaller scale, it bunch up pretty fast... but with that much space... it's harder. Maybe the first time that i was thinking of failing one of these, hope i have'nt.

Kudos to those who've read this entirely!

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Tremster

Do you expect any other reactions than: this is unbelievable!

wgc

This is awesome!  Funny how the scale can change an approach to decorative elements.

There are times I travel back home, where I can be a guest at a friend's gig and then politely go back to not being in a band. There's just no room for an amp when we go, and something like this would be really great instead of showing up and wondering what I'm going to be playing through. The 1590a format is really appealing for just these reasons alone.

So I've been thinking along much the same lines to have something nice at the ready in a few min just in case. 
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

brejna

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Yeah, now that's one sweet board-in-a-box.  8)
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

selfdestroyer

Crazy awesome. I think I am going to try some ribbon cable. I love how you have it routed, looks so clean.

Cody

GrindCustoms

Very much thanks guys! :)

It was'nt that much of a pain to put together but...... it still was!

The result (sonically) are everything i wanted and i gained some big real estate on my gigging pedal board! Took 1x1590BB, 2x1590B and 1x1590A out of it :D

The 1590BB was my 2in1 comp with A/B and MasterBypass, LoveSqueeze and 4KnobRoss... that one is going on another board, too much love for that box.

Quote from: pickdropper on August 04, 2014, 06:01:04 PM
Damn Rej.  Just damn.

I feel you, it's quite messy.

Quote from: selfdestroyer on August 04, 2014, 08:19:25 PM
Crazy awesome. I think I am going to try some ribbon cable. I love how you have it routed, looks so clean.

Cody

Thanks mate, it could have been better tho, i strongly suggest to anyone going for a 4 stomper to bump up to 1550G enclosure size, the real estate it takes on the pedal board is not much more than the 1590D but you have higher sidewall and more room to route everything comfortably.

The footswitch spacing on this one is OK, very similar to when you have 1590B stacked side by side. Even my 13size feets have room to play.

Quote from: wgc on August 04, 2014, 04:47:01 PM
This is awesome!  Funny how the scale can change an approach to decorative elements.

There are times I travel back home, where I can be a guest at a friend's gig and then politely go back to not being in a band. There's just no room for an amp when we go, and something like this would be really great instead of showing up and wondering what I'm going to be playing through. The 1590a format is really appealing for just these reasons alone.

So I've been thinking along much the same lines to have something nice at the ready in a few min just in case. 

Thanks!

After the  Post-Multi, i'm doing a power amped tube preamp with DI out to put on that board... you might find it inspiring for those gigs on the fly.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jubal81 on August 04, 2014, 06:27:18 PM
Yeah, now that's one sweet board-in-a-box.  8)

Thanks Jason, now with a bit of imagination....... Brazen Bull and other variants like that... into a big enclosure, just imagine! 8)

Leevibe

Wow! That's so extremely cool!

m-Kresol

Very cool stuff, as usual. And fwiw, the finish looks great and the insides are as neatly done as possible.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

GrindCustoms

Thanks! :)

Now that i look at it... i don't like to have the Decimator under the klone and a bit of the TS.

I'll pull the Klone out and install it side way toward the top of enclosure and have the Decimator sideway under it, will be much cleaner and better thought of.