News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I thought it was going to be awesome...

Started by selfdestroyer, October 05, 2014, 12:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I got myself a new Mac Book Pro 15" retina and I was so excited to finally retire my older Mac Book pro 13". I was really excited to run Logic Pro X on a i7 and finally utilize all the hardware with full 64bit. I got everything installed and it worked perfectly so next up on the list my my new monitors. I went with 2 Dell U2414H monitors with the hopes of using the Displayport daisy chain so I would only use one of the two Thunderbold connectors. Here is my first fail. I guess Thunderbolt 2 supports everything that Displayport 1.2 supports EXCEPT daisy chaining. If I physically hook up the Dell monitors in daisy chain configuration and I setup the monitors as displayport 1.2 mode I get mirroring in OSX with 3 displays (2 Dell monitors & my 15" Mac Book Pro monitor) but in Display properties it only detects 2 displays (1 Dell and my 15"). After searching around it looks like this is all I am going to get.

Why don't you just use both Thunderbolt ports and run the displays like that? you say.. Here is my next problem. I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 which I love and its firewire. I have the firewire to Thunderbolt adapter and all works great. I would hate to have to move to a USB interface at this point and I really want to use my 2 Dell monitors on my  desk.

I was thinking of trying next was use one Dell monitor on the Thunderbolt cable and the other on the HDMI cable and see if I can get them to match up. I had troubles with that a few years back getting the contrast and color pallets to match up right together.

Anyone else have any ideas or experience?

Cody

jubal81

Can't give any advice, but that sure looks like a fun setup.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Shrtyska9

Doing some searching around the web it looks like this is an osx issue being reported by many. but there are a few guys running one thunderbolt and the other hdmi with good results. off subject but How do you like that Focusrite interface? I've been looking to ditch my mbox pro for the saffire pro 40 so i can record drums.
Richard

Leevibe

I recently upgraded to a MB pro retina 13 (from an old MB pro 15) and I'm loving it. But I have a Tascam FW-1082 that is now a boat anchor because tascam won't update the drivers. It really stinks because it has full touch sensitive motorized faders, transport controls, jog wheel. Now it's on consignment. :(

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on October 05, 2014, 01:40:18 AM
Doing some searching around the web it looks like this is an osx issue being reported by many. but there are a few guys running one thunderbolt and the other hdmi with good results. off subject but How do you like that Focusrite interface? I've been looking to ditch my mbox pro for the saffire pro 40 so i can record drums.

So I hooked up an HDMI and a Thunderbolt and it does look good. I think I will run it like this for now. Thanks for the assistance and reassurance.

I love my Saffire 24. Like LeeVibe, I had instant issues with it when OSX 10.9 came out but they have now resolved the issues and it works great. I love the preamps on this thing and the mixer is very helpful also.

Tomorrow I need to go get a firewire 800 to Thunderbold adapter and I can get my interface up and working again.

Cody

Shrtyska9

Quote from: selfdestroyer on October 05, 2014, 04:22:54 AM
Quote from: Shrtyska9 on October 05, 2014, 01:40:18 AM

So I hooked up an HDMI and a Thunderbolt and it does look good. I think I will run it like this for now. Thanks for the assistance and reassurance.

I love my Saffire 24. Like LeeVibe, I had instant issues with it when OSX 10.9 came out but they have now resolved the issues and it works great. I love the preamps on this thing and the mixer is very helpful also.

Tomorrow I need to go get a firewire 800 to Thunderbold adapter and I can get my interface up and working again.

Cody

Awesome man glad you got the monitors working.

I've been kind of kicking myself since I got the mbox instead of the saffire pro 40. Should have just spent the extra 100 bucks or so that the mbox cost used.

Richard

Richard

pickdropper

I would really like to upgrade to a retina from my previous gen MBP.  For the life if my I can't figure out why they dropped the matte screen.  I've tried using the glossy model in the past but couldn't deal with it.  Hopefully, they decide to offer it with next years models.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on October 05, 2014, 01:04:11 PM
I would really like to upgrade to a retina from my previous gen MBP.  For the life if my I can't figure out why they dropped the matte screen.  I've tried using the glossy model in the past but couldn't deal with it.  Hopefully, they decide to offer it with next years models.

I was a little nervous about that but it hasn't bothered me in the slightest. I mostly run it in clamshell on my desktop though. I was also nervous about going down from a 15 to a 13. So glad I did. I don't miss it at all with the resolution being so good. It's just a whisker bigger/heavier than the mb air. I love the SSD too.

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on October 05, 2014, 01:33:35 PM

I was a little nervous about that but it hasn't bothered me in the slightest. I mostly run it in clamshell on my desktop though. I was also nervous about going down from a 15 to a 13. So glad I did. I don't miss it at all with the resolution being so good. It's just a whisker bigger/heavier than the mb air. I love the SSD too.

On the previous gen I actually got the glossy first but had to return it.  With all the glare, I'd get a headache about an hour into using it so it's a no go for me.

Yeah, in clamshell mode (which I use often) it isn't an issue because obviously it doesn't use the onboard display.  But the retina display doesn't do me much good in that mode, either.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on October 05, 2014, 02:20:10 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on October 05, 2014, 01:33:35 PM

On the previous gen I actually got the glossy first but had to return it.  With all the glare, I'd get a headache about an hour into using it so it's a no go for me.

Yeah, in clamshell mode (which I use often) it isn't an issue because obviously it doesn't use the onboard display.  But the retina display doesn't do me much good in that mode, either.  :-)

For me the retina was less about the display and more about features and form factor. That really sucks about the headaches though.