News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mangler led problem

Started by HailToTheBlues, December 08, 2014, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hey guys,
I have a possible quick question regarding my mangler project. Well i built a mangler and a hipster on the same box, and when i start playing with the mangler, the led starts blinking and fading until it shuts down completely, usually really quick, and the more fuzz i have the faster it shuts down, but the effect remains the same, so, any suggestions on what's causing it?

Best regards

GermanCdn

Question #1

You're using +9V for the Hipster and a Mangler with a built in voltage converter, or an older Manger with a RR?  Using a +9V and -9V in the same circuit can be a little tricky with power and grounds.

Question #2

Are you daisy chaining the power to the LEDs on both circuits, and if so, from where?  I've had two in one builds with issues on the LEDs because of shared power, though not the way you're describing.

Question #3

What value of CLR are you using for the LEDs?  Blink and fade is typically indicate of too much current through the LED, though it's usually followed up by a pop, smoke, and burning smell, and no more LED, which is not what you're getting.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 08, 2014, 05:57:46 PM
Question #1

You're using +9V for the Hipster and a Mangler with a built in voltage converter, or an older Manger with a RR?  Using a +9V and -9V in the same circuit can be a little tricky with power and grounds.

Question #2

Are you daisy chaining the power to the LEDs on both circuits, and if so, from where?  I've had two in one builds with issues on the LEDs because of shared power, though not the way you're describing.

Question #3

What value of CLR are you using for the LEDs?  Blink and fade is typically indicate of too much current through the LED, though it's usually followed up by a pop, smoke, and burning smell, and no more LED, which is not what you're getting.

I'm using the latest version of the mangler, the version that has a built in voltage inverter, so the fuzz is wired as a normal effect i presume, and i only have one dc jack, so the dc is connected to the hipster, and then two wires from the hipster go to the mangler. The leds are soldered on the pcbs because these projects have a place for soldering the led directly to the pcb. And finally, i'm using 4,7k resistors if i'm not mistaken, and i think the problem isn't from there, because the led works every time, for a little, then when i start playing it starts failing until it dies. The led from the hipster seems to be working but it is hard to say since it still lacks the 10pf ceramic cap it needs, so it could have the same problem, but since it is not being put to the test yet, i cannot tell.

HailToTheBlues