Ehx make klones for $68

Started by LaceSensor, December 17, 2013, 12:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

They now make a bass version too with added clean blend;

Works at Lectric-FX

Muadzin

Quote from: culturejam on December 18, 2013, 05:28:18 PM
And if I want a sound that is "like your amp, but more of it", I'll either turn up the volume or add a boost up front.

I can so dig that philosophy.  8)

For me the whole point of dirt boxes, or any kind of stomp box for that matter, is to not sound like my amp.

madbean

I think the bass version sounds like poo. Bass doesn't need overdrive. It needs FUZZ (with a clean blend)!

GermanCdn

I thought the Bass version sounded better on guitar as well, though it was fun to listen to, as I never pay attention to Gene Simmons bass lines (or, in general, anything Kiss has put out since Revenge, which is what, 25 years ago), and my first thought was the writing session went something like this

Gene - "Hey guys, I've mastered a lick that involves more than the fat string!"

Ace/Paul/Peter - "We can work with that, now let's expand that into something."

Gene - "I don't think you heard me.  I MASTERED A LICK.  You guys do the rest of the work."

I do realize that all the wrath of the Kiss Army will now descend upon me.......
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

alanp

Speaking as someone who never heard of them till his twenties, I never really understood why they got such a reaction. Especially when I listen to their music. Just sounds like normal, somewhat poppy, rock and roll to me.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

brucer

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 06, 2015, 02:33:40 PM
... my first thought was the writing session went something like this

Gene - "Hey guys, I've mastered a lick that involves more than the fat string!"

Ace/Paul/Peter - "We can work with that, now let's expand that into something."

Gene - "I don't think you heard me.  I MASTERED A LICK.  You guys do the rest of the work."

LOL!! Too funny.  It's early going, but that may be my laugh of the day.  Of course, the conversation continued:

Ace/Paul/Peter - "We KNOW Gene: you've already registered A PATENT on THE LICK so we either have to pay for use or come up with a lick that performs a different, but similar function or performs the same function in a different way.  YOU'VE TOLD US!"

Love the old Kiss hits though.  Can't help it.  Part of my formative years and all that.

Thanks for the humour!

pickdropper

I always figured that the Kiss band meetings went more like this:

"Hey, should we practice?"

"No, we don't have time.  We need to make T-Shirts, Calendars, Trading Cards and Action Figures.  We'll practice later."
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rumbletone

Quote from: pickdropper on January 06, 2015, 06:45:20 PM
I always figured that the Kiss band meetings went more like this:

"Hey, should we practice?"

"No, we don't have time.  We need to make T-Shirts, Calendars, Trading Cards and Action Figures.  We'll practice later."

I thought it went like this: "Bob Ezrin [or other applicable producer] says the album is coming along great. He's going to call us when they are done the recording so we can come in for the photoshoot."

thesameage

I think that there's something to adding a little overdrive/boost to a bass signal though. Does give it a more "alive" sound. Though I guess that's more boost than anything.

thesameage

The guy who worked on it has been posting about it over on talkbass. I asked him what he changed and here's what he had to say:

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-ehx-bass-soul-food.1125816/page-2#post-16804624

Cory,
How is this different from the regular soul food? Did you just beef up the input caps or mod other parts of the circuit? What kinds of diodes? Silicon? Getmanium?

Hey, thanks for asking. The circuit was pretty significantly changed - certainly some input and coupling caps were enlarged, but I found that that wasn't enough. Obviously the blend knob is a big change, which is parallel circuit to the entire SF circuit, using a nice op-amp. There's also the pad switch, which uses the other half of the same op-amp. Of course, the standard SF gain knob is a sort-of clean blend with a dual-gang pot. I kept this the same - the drive knob still mixes between an EQ'd clean path and the clipping path (so if you're using the BSF as a clean boost by turning the drive knob low, you can change the color of the boost from totally pure to totally EQ'd). The EQ on the clean path is a big part of the magic of the original circuit, but I found it needed to be tweaked for bass - the BSF is in the same ballpark as the SF clean path, but is more pleasant on bass to our ears. The overdrive path had changes to the frequency response of the first gain stage, and a modified clipping section with different diodes (I don't think I can just say what they are, but I'm sure someone will trace the circuit soon enough) and one other bass-centric trick. The mixing stage between the pseudo-clean and drive also has some filtering changes. Finally, the frequency range impacted by the Treble knob was tweaked to be a little more appropriate to the highs produced by a bass. Sorry if that's more chatter than you were looking for... I can go on and on about this stuff and sometimes don't know when to stop!