News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phrase sampler/looper DIY projects?

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, March 31, 2016, 04:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Hallenbeck

I did a couple of quick searches here but didn't see anything.
I'm guessing it would probably be more trouble and $$$ than it's worth for a DIY project but....

Has anyone seen, built, heard of any DIY sampler/looper projects?
Something along the lines of the TC Electronic Ditto or a basic Digitech Jam Man....

Commercially available units might be the easiest way to go.  I had someone ask if it was something I might be able to build and I thought it might be a fun project to tackle.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

peAk

Drew Hallenbeck

Just ordered a few things from there a couple of days ago.
Checked the site again just now but don't see anything.
There are a bunch of cool utility boards and some loop switching things. But, no phrase sampling looper type things.

You're right though, tons of cool stuff over there!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"

peAk

Quote from: desmondtencents on March 31, 2016, 06:43:24 PM
Just ordered a few things from there a couple of days ago.
Checked the site again just now but don't see anything.
There are a bunch of cool utility boards and some loop switching things. But, no phrase sampling looper type things.

You're right though, tons of cool stuff over there!

ahh, sorry. I saw looper and never thought about if it was a phrase looper or not.

Sometime last year, a bunch of us here grabbed some Akai Headrush pedals off Ebay that were going for dirt cheap. I can't remember how much but it was silly cheap.

selfdestroyer

You are unfortunately not going to find any DIY solution that will compare to a Ditto.

There are a few DIY ones based on the ISD1020AP IC (Madbean Loophole is one of them) but its really "lofi" compared to newer loopers and the ISD1020AP can oly handle 20 seconds of record time.

Here are some notes from the Loophole build doc:
QuoteThe ISD offers 20 sec. of
digital recording at a sample rate of about 6.4kHz. All the A/D conversion is done within the chip, so
designing an analog wrapper around it is a straight­forward task.

If you are wanting a easy phase looper, I have found its hard to beat the Ditto for the size and features. Now that there are many new version of the Ditto, you can pick up the v1 for pretty cheap on eBay or Reverb.

Cody

Drew Hallenbeck

Kinda what I thought.

I'm thinking it might be a fun idea to pick up a used Ditto or something and do a cool re-house in a new enclosure with some custom colors/graphics.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

alanp

Brian has the Loophole project. I've built it, it's a bit lo-fi, but does the job :)

Plus it's insanely useful for biasing projects. You can hold the screwdriver to adjust the trimpot in one hand, the audio probe in another, and not have to strum the guitar with your foot.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website