News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Movin to Orange County CA

Started by gordo, January 20, 2022, 03:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This has been a long time coming but as I get closer to retirement I snagged a place in Huntington Beach CA and although I have a few years to go in Chicago am looking forward to a change of scenery.  I'm the only one I know that moves to a place with a higher cost of living and a nuttier governor but I don't want to get political.

The new place has space for a workshop and hoping to transition in bits and pieces.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mauman

Congrats Gordy.  I've been to Chicago, and I've been to Huntington Beach, and it's no contest.   

Bio77

Congrats Gordy!  HB is a great choice. When you get settled, we should grab a beer.  I'm down the road  8)

Aentons

I used to live next door in Newport Beach for 5-6 years and was in Huntington a bunch. It's awesome.

cooder

Sounds great and exciting, all the best for the move! And a photo of the new workshop will be on order then!
BigNoise Amplification

pickdropper

Congrats on finding a nice place to retire (particularly if it has a workshop).

Chicago will still be here if you ever want to come back for a visit.  ;-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

matmosphere

That's awesome! I'm only in my early forties and my wife and I already talk all the time about where we want to end up after we retire ;D

California is weird for sure, but there are certainly nuttier governments in other states where lots of people retire.

oeslicoalfin

Congrats Gordo! I miss SoCal. My stomping grounds went from San-O to Seal Beach. From about 5th grade on my friends and I would jump on the Brookhurst St. bus in Fullerton and take it to the "end of the line" in HB. We did that until people starting riing in high school and we had swapped boogie boards for surfboards. We spent the holidays at my Mom's place. It rained the whole time, except for one day. I took my girls to HB that day, and my 6-year-old got to ride her new bike on the boardwalk from Brookhurst towards the pier. They had a blast splashing in the surf zone and looking for seashells, too. I miss surfing, my wetsuits don't get much use in AZ. There is a lot of sand here, but no waves. Enjoy Cali, the beach lifestyle can be nice.

midwayfair

danfrank

Behind the Orange Curtain!!!
SoCal is nice, I hope you enjoy!

TNblueshawk

I grew up in Huntington Beach but that was 70's. Moved with the parental units in 1980 to Nashville. I'm told CA has changed since the 70s  :o

You're going from a 6 month winter to...well.....no winter really.
John

peccary

I've been living behind the Orange Curtain for most of my life. If you need some good taco places let me know.

Thewintersoldier

Congrats Gordo, I grew up in SoCal and I miss it especially in Winter in Detroit. Take me with you, we can build pedals and eat Mexican food all day!
Who the hell is Bucky?