News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Horde Howler-SD-1

Started by Thewintersoldier, December 27, 2022, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

On this installment of Boss's blasts from the past, we have the ubiquitous yellow overdrive...the other tube screamer, the SD-1. The SD-1 is IMO the superior tube screamer, especially with humbuckers.

Unlike the TS, the SD-1 has Asymmetrical clipping like a tube amp. The smooth symmetrical clipping is part of the reason I dislike a stock TS, it sounds and responds so unnatural. The Asymmetrical clipping gives the texture of the drive more character, openness and more dynamics. The SD-1 has a broader range of gain available, more volume on tap to be used as a clean boost, and the added high end presence makes it less dull sounding and better suited to darker voiced guitars and amps. It has to my ears more bass response as well.

For the enclosure I went with a yellow tayda enclosure and UV printing. For the horde howler name, I went with Jack Russell aka the werewolf by night. While I know it's not as cool to play this circuit when everyone wants the new boutique clones with more clipping options and a more full frequency response, but those are more for low volume bedroom players. If you play a blackface amp, play live at high volumes or want to simply tighten up a high gain amp I highly recommend the SD-1, it's a classic for a reason.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

That is an incredible build! Nice work good sir!

jimilee

Superb, it is a favorite of mine. Built one and bought the anniversary one when it was released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on December 27, 2022, 03:21:48 PM
That is an incredible build! Nice work good sir!
Thanks Dan!

Quote from: jimilee on December 27, 2022, 03:36:30 PM
Superb, it is a favorite of mine. Built one and bought the anniversary one when it was released.

Thanks Jimi
Who the hell is Bucky?

blackhatboojum

Tight!  This build screams badassery and sd-1
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Paradox916

Another immaculate build! Definitely add this to the que

Bio77

Another stellar build, Chris!   8) Going to have to build one of these some day.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: blackhatboojum on December 28, 2022, 02:13:12 AM
Tight!  This build screams badassery and sd-1
Thanks Clinton!

Quote from: Paradox916 on December 29, 2022, 03:33:44 AM

Another immaculate build! Definitely add this to the que

Thanks Rob, you goofy bastard lol.

Quote from: Bio77 on December 29, 2022, 05:17:32 PM
Another stellar build, Chris!   8) Going to have to build one of these some day.

Thanks John, maybe I'll just build one and mail it to you haha.
Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

This looks so good. Makes me wanna try an SD-1

jessenator

That build and board are great! I may have to get one now.