News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aguaboy Deluxe (2019 version) - Build Report

Started by brooks78, November 23, 2023, 07:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brooks78

I finally completed the Aquaboy Deluxe. Issues that I encountered were a tl062 that wasn't producing enough voltage to light up  LED3/LED4, and a trimpot that I most likely overheated when soldering in.
For some reason, the delay won't work if the Tails switch isn't engaged (any thoughts on that are welcome), but it's nothing that I'm too concerned about to figure out why.
I biased the pedal by ear against the recommendation of the build docs, but I wouldn't recommend it. Biasing this effect doesn't have the same flexibility as a fuzz (at least in my experience).
It's a great sounding pedal, but it was hands-down my most difficult build to-date. At least obtaining the bucket brigade chips is now much easier thanks to the CoolAudio remakes.

blearyeyes

Where's the GUTS shot? Gotta see the insides... ;)

jimilee

Very cool. Congratulations. Gut shot or it's a rehoused behringer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

brooks78

Here is the requested gutshot.  The rehoused Behringer comment took me out. 💀

blearyeyes

Great looking pedal. I'm not so good at enclosures...that's cool!

jimilee

Quote from: brooks78 on November 23, 2023, 11:50:27 PM
Here is the requested gutshot.  The rehoused Behringer comment took me out.
That looks fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Quote from: jimilee on November 23, 2023, 11:45:19 PM
Gut shot or it's a rehoused behringer.
bwahaha

Nice build! Is the marbled enclosure a hand-made one? either way, looks great.

brooks78

Thanks! Yes, I swirl painted it using Borax and Humbrol paint. I painted the graphics with Posca paint pens.

jessenator

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: brooks78 on November 23, 2023, 07:14:50 PM
For some reason, the delay won't work if the Tails switch isn't engaged (any thoughts on that are welcome), but it's nothing that I'm too concerned about to figure out why.

Just a quick thought but, are you certain you used the correct switch type? Is it supposed to be a Normally OPEN momentary and you used a Normally CLOSED switch? OR vice/versa?? Or used a momentary switch when you need a latching switch??

brooks78

There is nothing in the documentation about any difference in the 3pdt switches.

madbean

The Tails switch is a secondary bypass. So, when the effect is on and you disengage the tails switch, the delay dies off naturally rather than abruptly. Your signal still passes through the audio through of the effect, but none of that signal is sent to the BBD.

Just so it's clear:
Normal bypass (hard shutoff): Tails switch always on, bypass switch disengaged.
Tails bypass (trailing shutoff): Bypass always on, tails switch disengaged.

brooks78

I have to keep the TAILS switch on, otherwise I get no effect at all. I'm not sure why that is happening, but I'm happy enough with how it is working and don't want to "poke the bear" by messing with the effect too much because of how much effort it took to get it working in the first place.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: brooks78 on November 29, 2023, 03:35:13 PM
I have to keep the TAILS switch on, otherwise I get no effect at all. I'm not sure why that is happening, but I'm happy enough with how it is working and don't want to "poke the bear" by messing with the effect too much because of how much effort it took to get it working in the first place.

Is the Tails LED functioning properly? If so, use your multimeter to measure the poles on the 3PDT that control the Tails switching. Make sure they are functioning properly.

Bio77

Quote from: brooks78 on November 29, 2023, 03:35:13 PM
This is how the pedal works, mine is the same.