News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cut highs out in Aristocrat?

Started by CurlyMo, May 17, 2012, 06:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurlyMo

I built my Aristocrat to "stock" with the exception of doing the high gain and C1/C12 mods (47n) and the low-end sounds very full. That being said, the high-end has a piercing fizzle anywhere after 9-10 o'clock on the tone pot (anywhere before that cuts the volume/gain like rolling the volume back on a guitar without a treble bleed setup). It's bearable through my Celestion 2x12 cab, but any of my dad's fender cabs (various 12s and 10s) are painfully bright. I noticed with a Tweed Super clone that it was dramatically thinner and brighter in the high-end in comparison to the clean tone...good bass response though no matter the amp.

Where would I go to address just the treble response? I've got the presence control bottomed out. Would raising C7 or C8 help or should I try larger caps in C1/C12? Look elsewhere? I'm extremely noobish when it comes to modifying anything other than a Rangemaster...

oldhousescott

I found I had to turn the presence trim completely off to get a useful range on the tone control. With it set that way, I didn't have excessive brightness unless the tone pot was cranked full on, and even then it wasn't piercing.

mgwhit

I built the v4 Aristocrat with specs similar to yours (one higher gain channel and 33n C1/C12), and, while it's a bright overdrive, I'm not having your experience at all.

I suppose that pedal could just be a bad combination with your amps, but I think it's more likely you have a bad value somewhere in your build.  Apart from the Tone and Presence capacitors I would also triple check the 100p caps at C2 and C13.  Those cut treble frequencies in the output of the first op-amp stage, and if you accidentally subbed too small of a value you could get some obnoxious highs.

If those turn out to be correct, you could probably sub a 220p there, but I think I'd want to keep searching for the real problem.  Good luck!