News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LED with integrated resistor for Chunk Chunk

Started by Migs42, October 02, 2012, 07:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Migs42

Hi y'all, I was wondering I could use an LED with an integrated resistor, I saw it at Radio Shack for a reasonable price and snatched it up. The LED is rated: Forward supply voltage12VDC, 20Ma, 1.5 mcd. If not, that's ok, I purchased a separate LED with resistor. Thanks very much!

Hangingmonkey

Shouldnt be a problem.  The on off LED is separate to the signal path so you can use whatever type of LED you want to show that the effect is on.

Migs42

Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm a bit confused though, the resistor is necessary in all cases though correct? to protect the LED from burning out?

jubal81

Quote from: Migs42 on October 02, 2012, 08:53:37 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm a bit confused though, the resistor is necessary in all cases though correct? to protect the LED from burning out?

Yep. That resistor usually goes by the acronym CLR for current limiting resistor. Without limiting the current going through the LED, the power will burn it out.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Migs42