News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Double Flush flashing LED question [SOLVED]

Started by Marv Mod, December 04, 2012, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marv Mod

Just finished and boxed the Double Flush. I'm very happy with the result but one thing is on my mind: the status LED flashes as it should in time with the pulse / speed setting, but it does this all the time. When I power the pedal (even without a jack plugged into the input) it flashes. And it flashes when in bypass - I thought it was meant to go solid on (or maybe off) in bypass?

Is this how it is meant to work?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jeremy

GermanCdn

It working the way it should, it's designed to flash all the time to give you an idea of the rate of the tremolo even when it's bypassed.  A pretty common feature on trems.  Pretty sure you can get around it by wiring the +ve side to the board and the negative side to your switched ground on your 3PDT, although truthfully I haven't tried this yet.

EDIT - next time I'll actully look at my board before answering.  Bypass = no flash. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

calciferspit

Not how mine works. I have it wired to disconnect the power when no plug is in in the input jack, and the LED only lights (flashes in tempo) when the effect is engaged. Did you use Madbean's wiring diagram?

Marv Mod

Quote from: calciferspit on December 05, 2012, 03:54:43 PM
Not how mine works. I have it wired to disconnect the power when no plug is in in the input jack, and the LED only lights (flashes in tempo) when the effect is engaged. Did you use Madbean's wiring diagram?

Yes I followed his diagram, and mine doesn't do what yours does. The only thing I omitted was the wiring for the battery as I don't use them. Also I've checked that the negative leg of the LED is wired as per the schematic to link to the to the SW pad on the board. Any ideas?

calciferspit

from the build doc "Note that your LED indicator will flash in time with the PULSE setting. This will shut off when the effect is bypassed, but the actual LED/LDR combo will not: it will flash as long as power is connected."

It seems like you are not disengaging SW when you bypass. I'd check that your footswitch is wired correctly.

midwayfair

You've got something hooked up wrong.

Take a look at the schematic. The LED intended for the footswitch is wired in series with R13 to the switch. When the switch is in the "on" position, the LED's cathode is grounded (there is flashing). When the switch is in the "off" position, the LED's connection to ground is shunted (no circuit, no light). If it's not turning off, you've somehow managed to connect the LED's cathode to ground all the time. Sw pad is right next to the ground pad -- make sure you don't have a solder bridge. And don't trust your eyes; use your multimeter.

Marv Mod

Quote from: midwayfair on December 06, 2012, 04:59:18 PM
If it's not turning off, you've somehow managed to connect the LED's cathode to ground all the time.

Thanks Jon, you were absolutely right. The way I had wired the switch was causing the constant grounding of the SW lug of the 3PDT. The jumper I had soldered between the bottom left two lugs of the switch, up to the middle left lug was in contact with the end of the wire coming out of the top left lug (SW connection) so there was always grounding.
I've nipped both ends off with the cutters to break this contact and now the LED flashes just as it should.

Thanks for pointing this out, and sorry I really should have spotted this at point of wiring! Your help ismuch appreciated!
Jeremy