News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First 'Bean: Retrograde.

Started by gingataff, January 27, 2013, 09:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gingataff

I've finally boxed up my first 'Bean. A lovely Retrograde.

The skinny:

MadBean fabbed board and SJ Effects 3PDT board.
Alps pots
Switchcraft jacks
Sato knobs
Alpha 3PDT
Belden teflon wire
Nichicon Electrolytics, Toshin Kogyo film caps and some random ceramic fella.
1/4w Carbon comps
Diodes, transistors and transformer as per the BOM.
White LED (looks blue in the pic)
Blue hammertone Ibanez style enclosure.

Special thanks to Brian and Steve for the great PCBs. The socket on the 3PDT was invaluable while I spent a few hours hunting down a loose piece of solder that was causing a short.

murdog47

Very cool! Where did you get the enclosure?

jimilee

That is very cool,is that a sub miniature enclosure? How about a size comparison to say a 1590a.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gingataff

Thanks guys!
The enclosure is the same size as an Ibanez or Maxon pedal, think tubescreamer. It's bigger than a 1590b.

I got it from Garrett Audio, they are the Japanese version of Small Bear or Mammoth.
Here's a link in case anyone feels like an adventure! http://www.garrettaudio.com/

The bad news is I don't think they ship overseas. They have some cool stuff but there's also a lot of interesting electronics shops here in Tokyo. There's some stuff that I can only get from Small Bear though.

MattOcaster

Awesome.
Cool to see stuff not in the usual Hammond 1590b.
Very cool!
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

ch1naski

Wow, those knobs are cool. And not cheap, either:)
That box would be very popular, I would think.....someone needs to carry that here in the USA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

icecycle66

I do believe those will be my next enclosures, once I get rid of the plain box back log.

nzCdog

raulduke

Hey dude sweet build; I whole heartadly approve of the blue hammer finish!

Glad those PCB's and connectors came in handy too!

Can I be annoyting and ask another question; where did you get those cool RCA style knobs?

gingataff

Thanks for the comments guys!

@effectslation
I didn't get the enclosure from smallbear, it looks a bit different. I think I did see someone post a build using one of their enclosures recently though.

@raulduke
The knobs I bought locally, they are fairly common in the electrical shops here. They are made by Sato parts who have an English website http://www.satopartsusa.com/ and the part number is K-2195 (small I think).

I've completed a few more builds over the weekend so I hope to get some more pics up soon.

eldanko

That blue hammertone looks absolutely killer! Definitely got me wanting to try a Bare Box-style enclosure now. Awesome first Bean!
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense