News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean Upper Decker

Started by chromesphere, March 25, 2013, 02:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys,

We're a little starved as far as DIY high gain / metal pedals go imo.  Sure, i built a dr boogey.  It was early on in the piece, i may not have done a very good job with it, but alas, i wasnt really that impresed.  The suhr riot is a great high gain pedal as well!  But it doesnt get that low end 'chunk' that this thing has in spades.  The EQ is just awesome (watch the sound demo for the sweep demo).

I never thought my 1x12 30 watt bad cat could sound like this.  Maybe im a bit ignorant of these pedals that dish out low end, i dont really search for 'metal' pedals as such...but...i dont know, it just sounds 'amp-ish'.  Bucket loads of attack.

Anyway, hope you like it.  If your into this sort of thing (amp in a pedal / metal / high gain) i highly recommend it...it just kicks ass...

Paul

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

sclemmer

What ic's did you use? Pedal sounds awesome!

chromesphere

Thanks sclemmer!

The answer to that is in the build report :) (joke)

3 x 4580's.  The best combination imo.

Paul

pryde

Excellent build and your intro playing rips. Nice job. Gonna have to build me one now  :)

chromesphere

Thanks Pryde!

Its a kick ass pedal \m/ \m/ :D

angrykoko

Whoah!  I always like your playing but that intro totally kicked ass!!

I'll have to check out this circuit, I agree with your opening statements, even built all the same pedals you mention with the same feeling about them.  I was going to build a deadastronaut spitfire but maybe I'll do this next instead.

Excellent stuff!

Koko

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

octa805

Hangingmonkey

Great job on the build.  I made one on vero which I was never happy with.  I havent tried brians version but I bought the pcb from chiboy and it sounds great, full on metal!

Good work making it all in a BB.  I used a huge box for mine (I had to for the vero one which I have since replaced with the PCB)

chromesphere

Thanks guys!
For anyone thinking of building it, you can fit it into the BB fairly easily if you follow Brians awesome drill template!  as mentioned in the build report, if you cant get lug mount pots, you can do what I did and just solder on some thick wire to the lugs of the pots and bend them, so like a 'fake' pot mount lug, if you know what I mean. Fits fairly easily into the BB!
Paul

nzCdog

Great build... sounds sick! 8)

chromesphere

Sorry NZ missed your message.

Thanks for the compliment :)

Paul