News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road Rage + MXR M117r wiring (Fixed!)

Started by zRobertez, April 27, 2013, 09:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zRobertez

Hi! I've got an MXR M117r and a road rage charge pump. I've got the Road Rage all put together and wired up. But I think I need help with the wiring as this is my first foray into the modding/building world outside of complete kits. So when I turn my m117 on, I get nothing. I believe this 18v pedal should easily run off of a standard 9v but I think I may be off with the wiring.

Here is the wiring I've done so far.

If you can't see in the picture, I'll lay out what is wired to what here:

The tip of the DC in is wired to one of the +9 pads on the RR
The sleeve of the DC in to the corresponding ground pad by the first one the line above
The +9 pad next to the other two is wired to the tip pad on the PCB
The ground pad next to the three above is wired to the sleeve pad on the PCB
The 18v pad on the RR is wired to the remaining hole on the DC pads on the PCB

I'm not sure what to do with the final wire, it is soldered to the ground pad next to the 18v pad on the RR

Here is the RR wiring diagram for reference

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/RoadRage/docs/RoadRage.pdf

Any direction is appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gingataff

if you dont mind the clutter you could build the road rage in a small enclosure and run it externally ,at least to check it works.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2

DutchMF

These things can be a b*tch to remove, but it can be done. You'll have to remove the knobs, then remove the nuts from the pots, switch and I/O jacks, and probably that screw you tried before. Then you have to GENTLY push back the adapter jack just a hair to clear it from the inside of the enclosure. That should let you remove the board. Be very careful not to break anything and when in doubt, STOP!

Another idea: I think it should be possible to attach the Roadrage to the socket where the two batter snaps are attached to, might save you a lot of trouble!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

zRobertez

Thanks for all the info guys! I eventually got it out. I pretty much had to unscrew/pull/ease out everything that was removable before it came undone.
Unfortunately I ended up smashing the adapter input somehow into millions of tiny plastic bits :(
No worries! I ordered another and in a few days when it gets here, I'll try again. For now, I'm just going to keep track of all the pieces and keep the pcb unattached to anything. I will chime in more if I get stuck again!

zRobertez

Bump for a new issue... lol I'm having trouble with the wiring and have updated the OP to reflect my current situation.

DutchMF

Hey dude, for starters, I think you should have just made a new post instead of updating your old one. People who haven't read this thread before can get confused as of what is happening! And since this is a new problem, it would have been ok to start a new thread. But to get back to your question: I guess what you are trying to do is power your pedal with 18V with the RR and still keep the battery snaps of the pedal functioning as wel. I'm not sure if that can be done, but here's how you have to wire it up to power it through the RR:

First check if the original PSU has ground on either the tip or the sleeve
- Tip of DC jack goes to ground on RR
- Sleeve of of DC jack goes to +9V on the RR
- +18V from RR goes to the corresponding pad on the main board
- Ground next to the +18V on the RR gos to the corresponding pad on the main board

Now you can power the MXR with any standard center-negative 9V PSU. I would forget about the batteries for now, but maybe someone else knows how to do that!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

zRobertez

I'll remember that next time.
But it worked! It was only the wiring and it runs perfectly off of a normal onespot adapter.
Thanks a lot, man!