News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SSD advice

Started by pickdropper, June 04, 2013, 04:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

My backup strategy is weak, compared to you guys. I just use the automatic backup in Windows Home Server. (My fileserver only has 200G free... I think it's time for another drive for the caddy.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Quote from: alanp on June 05, 2013, 05:39:26 AM
My backup strategy is weak, compared to you guys. I just use the automatic backup in Windows Home Server. (My fileserver only has 200G free... I think it's time for another drive for the caddy.)
http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WSL-B2C-Site/en_NZ/-/NZD/ViewOfferDetail-Product?ProductRef=213741@WSL-B2C
Here you go Al... pretty cheap for a 2TB.  I need to sell a pedal before I can get one

alanp

Not quite, Cdog -- I have a fileserver in a CM Stacker case, with two 5-in-3 hotswappable hdd cages in it. Six drives in it at the moment, and four free slots. I buy normal hard drives and load them in :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

Quote from: jubal81 on June 04, 2013, 11:20:17 PM
After losing all my Eagle projects a while back I installed dropbox on my mac. Now all the important files live in the dropbox folder.

Did time machine not work for you?

I use an external hard drive with time machine, that's why I ask...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

Well, the upshot of this whole thing is that it should push me to get around to setting up an SVN server on my Raspberry Pi, which I've been planning on doing for months, but haven't.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

RobA

I've been doing all my electronics work on my Raspberry Pi using Kicad. So, I've set the Pi up to be a file server so I can get to the files from my main machine. (I actually use Kicad remotely from my laptop as well). It's been working great this way for a few months now. It should make a good SVN server.

I don't like hearing about the dead SSD though. I was hoping SSD's would solve some of the issues with HD stability. They just seem to be getting worse and worse over time. So far, my SSD hasn't had any issues at all, but a data point of one doesn't mean much.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jubal81

Quote from: gtr2 on June 05, 2013, 12:45:02 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on June 04, 2013, 11:20:17 PM
After losing all my Eagle projects a while back I installed dropbox on my mac. Now all the important files live in the dropbox folder.

Did time machine not work for you?

I use an external hard drive with time machine, that's why I ask...

Josh

I use an SSD for my OS and a bigger HD for storage. I should use time machine, but at the time I didn't have space to spare. After my storage drive failed, I got a 2TB, so I have the space now.

BTW, iTunes Match saved my bacon on that one. I was able to use it to recover all my music.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: RobA on June 05, 2013, 01:40:28 PM
I've been doing all my electronics work on my Raspberry Pi using Kicad. So, I've set the Pi up to be a file server so I can get to the files from my main machine. (I actually use Kicad remotely from my laptop as well). It's been working great this way for a few months now. It should make a good SVN server.

I don't like hearing about the dead SSD though. I was hoping SSD's would solve some of the issues with HD stability. They just seem to be getting worse and worse over time. So far, my SSD hasn't had any issues at all, but a data point of one doesn't mean much.

I believe that the failure rates of SSD are still lower.  The problem is that, when they do fail, they often do so without warning.  Mechanical drives usually make noise and let you know that things aren't working right before they outright die.

My boss and my father have also had SSD controllers go flaky on them.  Hopefully, the technology will be more robust as the technology matures.

I just wish the drive manufacturers would find a way to build in recoverability into the drives, at least the ones that design their own controllers.
Function f(x)

culturejam

Thanks for the reminder, Dave. I just got some new backup software to go with my new 2TB NAS. I've been putting it off for a while, but your post made me get my ass in gear. Thanks!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on June 06, 2013, 04:00:37 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Dave. I just got some new backup software to go with my new 2TB NAS. I've been putting it off for a while, but your post made me get my ass in gear. Thanks!

Glad I could help   ;D

Function f(x)

TNblueshawk

Holy shitake I have no idea what any of you are talking about other than generally. Imagine being me and not knowing what to really do  :-\  I've got back up when I got my Mac but I'll be darned if I understand any of it. It backs up each day, where and to what I don't know. I should have majored in computers or something rather than Finance.

Anyhoo, what a bummer Dave. I'd be pissed followed by quickly by melancholy knowing me.
John

madbean

I use AllwaySync. Well worth the money (it's pretty cheap for lifetime updates). I back up to two extra drives pretty regularly after learning my own lesson a few years ago.

Sorry, bro :(

TNblueshawk

As a noob may I ask about this Cloud thing. Would backing up to this alone "solve" your problems or does that open up another discussion?
John

croquet hoop

The best backup strategy is not about chosing the right platform (RAID array in a separate PC, cloud, any other) but chosing at least two different ones. A cloud solution is interesting is case something bad happens to the place where your computers are (fire, robbery), but I don't think they fully guarantee that nothing won't happen to your date. So, that "alone" does not solve everything.

RobA

Yeah. The general strategy is two different forms of backup with one offsite. It does really matter how much you value the data though. I use different forms of offsite backup for different data. For work and projects I need to make sure I have access to, I use an offsite server. For photos and video, I make periodic DVD's and store them offsite. The cloud can be a good solution for the offsite component. But, you have to know you can trust the storage location with the data, or encrypt it (if it's important business related stuff) before you send it up.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).