News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger One: more questions

Started by fixxe, June 06, 2013, 11:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixxe

So how did you guys connect your pots on the Harbinger? Wire or board-mounted? And what about the toggle switches?

Thanks in advance!  :)

fixxe

The reason I'm asking is that I'm not sure if the stereo pot fits in there height-wise if i solder the toggle switches on the board.
i also don't know how to solder the normal pots so that they're on the same height level as the toggle switches.  ???

madbean

The switches are mounted directly to the PCB and soldered. You can use 16mm short pin PCB mounted pots for the Vol and Int control, but this is not required. If you use regular solder lug pots, you can affix something to the back of the pots to create more support. I use 3M double sided foam tape a lot. Or, you can use dust covers (smallbear has them cheap).

A 16mm dual pot fits height wise, but you should gently bend the top row of lugs flat with some pliers. This will ensure those lugs do not contact the back of the board.

fixxe

Aah okay, thanks!  :)

one more question, is this the right ic?
http://www.banzaimusic.com/7815.html

fixxe

Maybe the bean himself can answer my question (though he's probably pretty busy right now).
until then I have a few more stupid questions:
-do the lamp and photocells have polarity?
-which way do I install the leds? I don't see any labels on the pcb.
-do I still need to add a resistor to the led or is it already integrated in the circuit?

sorry for so many beginner questions...

Hangingmonkey

lamp and photocells dont have polarity

the pcb has a pic of the led flat and curved side, just line them up with the flat and curved side on the edge of the LED

wstimson

Quote from: fixxe on June 11, 2013, 08:00:46 PM
Maybe the bean himself can answer my question (though he's probably pretty busy right now).
until then I have a few more stupid questions:
-do the lamp and photocells have polarity?
-which way do I install the leds? I don't see any labels on the pcb.
-do I still need to add a resistor to the led or is it already integrated in the circuit?

sorry for so many beginner questions...

Hangingmonkey is correct. 

To your last question... If you mean the rate LED (flashes to indicate the lamp rate), no you do not add a resistor.
Solder that directly to the appropriate pads.

fixxe

Thanks guys!  :)

One more:

Does it matter which row of the speed pot I connect to which row on the pcb?

paulyy

fixxe

Great!
If the lamp doesnt react to the speed pot at all (it's just on) where would be the starting place to look for an error?

Edit: Nevermind, I see someone else has the same problem...

paulyy

fixxe

Come to think of it, maybe i just installed the rate led wrong.
This is how i did it:
i put the led with the flat side on the pcb (with the led outlined) and then i erected it. i don't know if this is right.
a + symbol would have been easier on the pcb.

billstein

Quote from: fixxe on June 13, 2013, 06:10:54 PM
Come to think of it, maybe i just installed the rate led wrong.
This is how i did it:
i put the led with the flat side on the pcb (with the led outlined) and then i erected it. i don't know if this is right.
a + symbol would have been easier on the pcb.

Like with an Electrolytic capacitor the + side for the LED is the square pad on the pcb.

fixxe

That was it!
now everythings working  :D
thanks to all you guys that helped me, i really appreciate it!!!!

paulyy

That's great you got yours to work. I just wish mine was that easy to fix. :'(