News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

electronic components

Started by kost2112, June 21, 2013, 12:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kost2112

hi,
i'm a newbie in this forum and also newbie in making pedals so i'd like your help in something that maybe sound silly...
well, as i read in the guide for a particular pedal, i have to use 750k, 1M resistors etc., caps, diodes....etc. But i don't know if i have to use 1/4W or 1/8W resistor, or should it be metal or film or ceramic resistor. Also for the caps. I don'tknow which particular type of these components to use.
Any help would be more than appreciated....

jkokura

On a general basis, we use 1/4 watt film resistors. You can also use 1/8 watt resistors which are smaller.

As to the caps, the jury is out on the type you use. Most of us use box film type for the range between 1nF and 1uF (non polarized). Most of us use 5mm round aluminum electrolytic for the 1uF+ polarized caps. Some of us use film, and some of us use ceramic for the pF range.

More important than type sometimes is size. Double check the size needed and make sure the caps you order are the right size for the project.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

kost2112

thank so much...i hope my first pedal will work properly... :P

stevie1556

Good luck with the build! What you looking at making?

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

kost2112

i'm want to make the Cave Dweller delay and it's my first try on DIY pedals...do you think it's a difficult start?

stevie1556

I wouldn't say it's difficult at all if you are putting it into a 1590B enclosure, but if you are putting it into a 1590A (small) enclosure then I wouldn't say it's difficult either, just more troublesome.

I got the majority of mine built last night, but I'm missing a few resistor values so the board is on hold for the time being, but from the demos it does sound amazing. I'm going to be building mine in a 1590B enclosure though, as I don't have any small enough pots and I find the 1590A is a pain to work with due to the size of it.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!