News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Beginner's Drill Press

Started by alanthing, June 08, 2013, 05:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: davent on June 09, 2013, 08:36:33 AM
To go with the drillpress get quality drill bits from a specialty dealer not the crap sold at big box stores, that goes for the indispensable step bits too. I too break the rules and handhold enclosures while drilling but with great bits i can release the enclosure while drilling and it doesn't budge as the bit goes through, table top friction is enough to hold the enclosure in place after initial start of hole and the exit.

Yeah, I bought an Irwin step bit from Home Depot.  Irwin has a decent reputation but I was surprised at how crappy it was.  It didn't compare to the Klein step bit that I usually use.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pryde

@pickdropper

Definetely a X/Y table is a good investment. I went without for a while but couldn't live without it now.

alanthing

This thread is fantastic, thank you everyone! I certainly have some reading up to do.

BUT, I got impatient and borrowed my friends' handheld cordless drill. The layout of the LED is a little goofy but considering it's my first time drilling a box, I'm happy with it! Choosing a 1590a for my first non-pre-drilled project was probably not the best idea  ;D

I'm going to definitely look at a drill press since I'm hoping to do this more often. I'm surprised at how affordable highly-recommended models are! Before posting here I would've guessed it to be over $200 or so, but some of these linked well within reach.

davent

One more tool whether hand drilling or using a drillpress, center punch,  mark exactly where the hole is to go.  Being totally anal i resort to an optical center punch.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

gordo

Further thoughts, I haven't worked with a laser sight on a press but if it works would be cool.  For circuit boards I got the Small Bear bits, which are incredible and last a long time.  I wear a magnifier hood (cheapo Harbor Freight) and I have an air line from an old aquarium pump that blows on the board (away from my face) so I can get my head in close to the board.  That way I can get insane accuracy on boards and don't have to worry about getting fiberglass in my eyes.  The Small Bear bits have a big tang on them so your drill chuck doesn't have to be crazy accurate.  They're not cheap but I've blown thru tons of hobby bits that go dull really quick or snap.  Also, chuck your bits so that there is very little of the bit exposed so they won't wobble under pressure.  Most of the Hammond-type stuff we deal with is very forgiving.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

hoodoo

OT, but Davent i really dig that knob layout on the pictured pedal and may have to "borrow" this idea someday, original and cool lookin' :)

davent

Hi Matt, Drill templates, another great tool to get the most from your drillpress.

The small circles below the pots just show the spots where standoffs have been epoxied inside the enclosure. If you open the pdf in Inkscape you can edit it/fine tune it to meet your needs. No room for a battery in this build so using a small unswitched power jack but the art for a regular switched power jack is there if you need one.

Take care
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?