News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Virgin - Neutrino

Started by andywragg, May 10, 2010, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andywragg

Hi all,
As promised in a couple of other threads here's my Neutrino build report so far. This is the burst variant, the Black version will follow just as soon as this one is complete, as I already have the bits (just no boards - You picked a fine time to move house Brian).

Any how, my previous gadget building comes from assembling on-board glo-drivers for RC model airplanes  - the optoglowII as an example. I'm not an electronics guru, I can (thanks to my time in the army reserves a long time ago,) handle a soldering iron though.

I have sourced the bits from 3 different suppliers, although now that I know about Faith Healer on ebay I'll probably just use him and Farnell for the electronics.

You'll notice from the pictures that I am using servo cable for wiring the pots. Its dead easy to get hold of for me and is just the right size. It also aids in getting the connectivity right first time. I'm also using some alternative coloured servo cable (stripped into individual conductors), Brown orange red, for some of the other connections.

The labels are from an office type Brother label printer that was liberated from a former employer.

Any hoo here are the pics

andywragg

OK the pedal is finished and I'm mightyly impressed with the results.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow as is getting late here, and I've only just fixed it. Blasted resin from the solder.

I think I need to get a tube amp as my SPider III 30w seems to be colouring the tone. If I play it through my Zoom G1XN on bypass mode into my small active PC speakers it sounds mint. Through the spider it sounds 'processed'.
I do have a Peavey Bandit 112 to try as well which is upstairs in the junk room. I know that the Zoom sounds so much better through the Bandit than the Spider so I should be OK with that for a while.

I'm chuffed to bits that some I have built sounds so good.

andywragg

Try as I might yesterday, I couldnt get a decent video recording of the guitar, as soon as I hit the OD switch and start to strum, the sound from the mic just goes to shit. Granted I am using the webcam and mic built into my netbook, so I didnt expect great results. I do have a better spec system upstairs but this is surrounded by crap from the building work that I still have to tidy up.

Rich_S

Hey, Andy.  I hate to see a Nutrino getting no "reply" love, so I'll jump in.  Nice first build.  My search for a primary overdrive ended when I built mine. 

I know what you mean about the interaction between your Line 6 and the dirt pedal.  As good as modelling amps sound, the one area they really fall down is the guitar/amp interaction part.  I have a little Vox Amp Plug that sounds exactly like a Marshall with a 4-12 cab, but when I run a boost or overdrive, it doesn't react like the real thing.
So, your first DIY pedal is working.  What's next?
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

andywragg

Thanks Rich_S

Next is the Black version, which is already well on the way. Just got to prep the enclosure. Can't make my mind up what to do with it. Whether to leave it natural and polish it up or paint it - Black of course.

I have most of the bits for a Gruntbox, just need an enclosure, jacks and the 100nf caps which have been split from my Farnell order of last week. This will be the Violet Rams Head version.

After that who knows? I could do with a valve amp, and a wah. Both of these are beyond my skills so I'll be buying them.

Haberdasher

Good job Andy.  Glad you got things worked out.

P.S. Yeah, get a tube amp and put some decent preamp tubes in.  Try a new production tung sol 12ax7 in v1 if nothing else.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

andywragg

I'm hoping to get a Bugera V55HD. They have a really bad rep, but everyone I've read who has one, swears by them and there's a guy on YT Dingle1 who's done loads of demo's of all the bugera amps, along with MattTuck5150 and the Tone King. I have my heart set on a 333xl but the V55HD is more within my price range at the minute.
They sound Sweet with the stock tubes and even better with a set of branded tubes.

dcribbs1412

congrats Andy
great to see the use of power tools and high heat with good beer
always makes thing better

QuoteBlasted resin from the solder
what did you do to clean?

I would suggest a 5e3(Fender) or 18 watt(Marshall)kit
build
http://www.triodeelectronics.com/deluxerebuild.html
http://www.triodeelectronics.com/18wtmbkit.html
both of these kits are top notch

andywragg

Thanks for the links;

I actually found a UK DIY amp kit site yesterday, but for what it would cost me for an 18W DIY kit (complete), I could actually buy the 55w amp I want and still have change, and be confident it isnt going to blow the house fuse board when I plug it in.   ;D

Here's the link to Ampbuilder here in the UK...

http://www.ampmaker.com/

andywragg

OK Clean and dirty sound samples here

SoundClick artist: Andy Wragg - page with MP3 music downloads

Please excuse my clumsy playing...and its the first time I've recorded and uploaded to soundclick so please be gentle.

andywragg

Just thought I'd update you all on the progress. Neutrino Burst #1 is now in the ownership of one of my friends. He liked it so much when I let him borrow it that I ended up giving it to him as a birthday present.

I have since built another Burst pedal, using the last of the 3 boards I picked up from Madbean, and I think this one sounds just a little better than my original.

The Black pedal needs a bit of tlc as I think its developed a short somewhere. Started off fully functional, but then started to each battery power, and now it doesnt work at all when the back is on.

I also built a Gruntbox for some vintage fuzz, which might come in extremely useful.

I also have a valve amp on the way for some filthy tube action.

gtr2

You gave away your first born!  :o
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

andywragg

Indeed,
But it's gone to a good home where it will be loved and cherised in a way befitting my first born. Currently starring a PRS USA Custom 22 and a Mesa Boogie Mk iii.