News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VU meters for pedals?

Started by GhostofJohnToad, June 14, 2013, 05:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

Was thinking it would be cool to incorporate a VU meter in a future build.  I guess my questions are:

1) Could it even work? maybe as a LFO sort of visual feedback, clipping indicator, or a signal level meter.
2) Are there any small enough to fit on a 1590BB at least?

drezdn

jprizz

selfdestroyer

I have seen a fuzz face that had the voltage for the transistors somewhere.. Might have been here or FSB forum. Was pretty cool.

jimilee

I saw one on diysb where someone bought a cheap meter with the vu on it and hooked it up to the dc jack
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GhostofJohnToad

Quote from: jprizz on June 14, 2013, 05:48:54 PM
This one does too:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9409.0

^^^I especially like this implementation. 

Glad to know some people have done this.  Guess I'm going to have to buy some and monkey around.

drezdn

Can't wait to see how it turns out (and then try it).

Effectsiation

Yeah, in my experience people mostly use them to measure voltage, when connecting a "Sag" or "Starve" pot to the DC Jack.

gordo

I just like lots of lights and switches.  I may have been a trout in a previous life...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ch1naski

Cortex has a digital vu that shows bias voltage on one of his fuzz creations....pretty cool.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

spaceboss

I'm also very interested in this curious how you'd hook something like this up to a pedal, to show output in db.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-VU-Panel-Meter-500-A-Warm-Back-Light-Audio-Tube-Amp-630-Ohm-DC-AC-6V-to-12V-/390611279951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af23f204f

What do you hook up where, and do you need a resistor, etc? I don't know if it is possible to do what I want in a simple way...

(I'm not even remotely interested in it being properly calibrated, I just want to see the meter move when I play. )

jimilee

Quote from: spaceboss on June 15, 2013, 04:00:13 AM
I'm also very interested in this curious how you'd hook something like this up to a pedal, to show output

(I'm not even remotely interested in it being properly calibrated, I just want to see the meter move when I play. )
Hell yeah! Guitar players are the coolest. My guitar player took his tuner off his board so he could have room for another dirt pedal!
/derail

ch1naski

Jimi...lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.