News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VU meters for pedals?

Started by GhostofJohnToad, June 14, 2013, 05:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

ValveWizards GlassBlower "GTI" has a LM3916 based led VU meter that you might try.
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/glassblower.html (Bottom of page)
QuoteThe VU meter is done in the usual way by sending the audio to a peak level detector and then to an LM3916 audio-taper LED driver. Although this chip is designed to drive 10 LEDs, it is not easy to get the full scale out of it with only 9V available, so I used six LEDs.

It's the last one in his build pdf and the full schematic is there toohttp://www.valvewizard.co.uk/glassblower.pdf

Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

aballen

That guy always has amazing stuff.  As soon as I have time I'm building an engineers thumb.

spaceboss

Quote from: jimilee on June 15, 2013, 04:22:32 AM
Quote from: spaceboss on June 15, 2013, 04:00:13 AM
I'm also very interested in this curious how you'd hook something like this up to a pedal, to show output

(I'm not even remotely interested in it being properly calibrated, I just want to see the meter move when I play. )
Hell yeah! Guitar players are the coolest. My guitar player took his tuner off his board so he could have room for another dirt pedal!
/derail

Not that the tuner is important, it isn't.  ;D But if your guitar player still doesn't have enough room, he can always Velcro new dirt pedals on top of existing dirt pedals.  8)

jimilee

Quote from: spaceboss on June 15, 2013, 03:39:59 PM
I'm also very interested in this curious how you'd hook something like this up to a pedal, to show output

(I'm not even remotely interested in it being properly calibrated, I just want to see the meter move when I play. )
Hell yeah! Guitar players are the coolest. My guitar player took his tuner off his board so he could have room for another dirt pedal!
/derail

Not that the tuner is important, it isn't.  ;D But if your guitar player still doesn't have enough room, he can always Velcro new dirt pedals on top of existing dirt pedals.  8)
right he just tunes to me after I tune, I suggested a bigger pedal board.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

billstein

Quote from: spaceboss on June 15, 2013, 03:39:59 PM

/derail

If you get enough dirt pedals turned on nobody will know you're out of tune anyway.

pedalman

I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

pedalman

I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.