News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zombii Slambox

Started by youngstownguitar, January 27, 2011, 05:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngstownguitar

This is my first build that wasn't from a kit -it really highlighted my incompetence with this stuff. 
Sounds AMAZING tho - madbean makes some awesome PCBs. 
Thanks to everyone that answered my noob questions here and to runmikeyrun@DIYstomboxes for all the help.

Here it is next to a 808 I built from a ggg kit

guts:

here is a pic of how I cracked the enclosure by using a worn out drill bit that was better off in the trash:

I think I may build the same exact pedal again just so I can try to do a better job at it.  I certanly couldnt do much worse.

chromesphere

Hey man, looks good to me!  Not an easy build...

For what its worth, ive built over 30 pedals, and have had the odd one crack like yours. 

These days, i use a 'step-bit' in my drill press. It's much kinder on the enclosure, as it drills out the hole 1 mm at a time.  Just wish i had of bought the drill press / step bit earlier...

Paul.

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

FuzzMonkey

Quotehere is a pic of how I cracked the enclosure by using a worn out drill bit that was better off in the trash

Yikes!

gtr2

Food job on your build.

I've never seen an enclosure crack like that!  I like that you still used it instead of throwing it in the trash too.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

youngstownguitar

Quote from: gtr2 on January 28, 2011, 05:41:05 AM
I've never seen an enclosure crack like that!  I like that you still used it instead of throwing it in the trash too.

Yea I just got a piece of metal from lowe's for $0.30 and cut it to cover the hole I busted out.  Then I just used some JB weld to patch it up- cant really see it when the pedal is on the board unless you are looking for it.

There is a lot of similiar situations here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=89213.0

chromesphere

It happened to me only once, on the side of the enclosure like youngstownguitars did.  I was using a 12mm drill bit with a handdrill into the side of the enclosure.  Drilled out ok to start off with, then the cutting spiral of the drill bit, kind a got stuck as it started tp come out the otherside.  The hole cracked, even the clamp couldnt hold it in place.  The enclosure went flying across the room. I was like this: :o

Like i said, dont use a hand drill anymore.  Drill press with a step bit is easier, safer, quicker, does a better job, etc etc.  For 100 bucks, its not worth the potential injuries.

PS: oh yeah, mine was a prepainted 1590bb box as well.

Paul.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube