News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Not so big 1 uF box caps?

Started by croquet hoop, June 20, 2013, 04:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croquet hoop

I received my first Tayda order yesterday (yay!) and everything looks good so far, except that their 1 uF box caps are waaaaay too big:

No complaint, the specs were written on the website, that's why I only ordered a few. But since I need them for several mini builds, I'd rather use some that are the size of the yellow one (which I got in a Tiny Giant kit, so I didn't source it myself). I know, X7R MLCCs and tants are the way to go when space is tight, but many baby layouts have space for box caps, so why not?

So, do you have any recommendation? I have a cart at mouser so I looked at a few datasheets for 63v 1 uF caps (Kemet R82 and MMKs, Epcos) but I'm not sure I can find anything the same size as the mysterious yellow cap.

alanp

They aren't box caps, but Tayda's monolithic caps are pretty dang small for 1uF.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Vallhagen

I havent searched every place or every product, but the Panasonic SMF series are pretty small (means: the smallest 1uF cap I have used so far).

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

midwayfair

Quote from: croquet hoop on June 20, 2013, 04:07:59 AMSo, do you have any recommendation? I have a cart at mouser so I looked at a few datasheets for 63v 1 uF caps (Kemet R82 and MMKs, Epcos) but I'm not sure I can find anything the same size as the mysterious yellow cap.

Here ya go. 8mm high, 7mm long, 3.5mm wide, 5mm lead spacing, MIGHT be short enough to fit in a 1590A. Nothing else is shorter than 10mm, at least not without having, say, the width be that size.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/MMK5105J50J02L165TR16/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF17gIuUB4mH1CfNYlSFYLOc%3d

Of course, there's a pretty good reason not to use them: minimum order of 2,000, and they're 91c each.

croquet hoop

Thanks for all the answers. Yes, I've seen the Panasonic caps, they are indeed shorter, but also wider, so that does not fit the bill. The 63v caps at Tayda have been out of stock for as long as I can remember (have they been restocked since February?), so I did not think of them as an option.

And thanks Jon, these would be the perfect size, but of course as you point out they're not really available  ;D

I googled the code printed on the yellow cap but found nothing about it. I guess I'll stick to tants and MLCCs. Thanks for looking into it anyway!

Govmnt_Lacky

HAve you considered multilayer CERAMIC? Or is that a bad word?  ::)

croquet hoop

Yes, I have. No, it's not ;D

I was just curious to see whether the size of the yellow box cap was common or not. Unfortunately, looks like it's not. But there are alternatives, so...

RobA

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 20, 2013, 06:10:37 AM
HAve you considered multilayer CERAMIC? Or is that a bad word?  ::)

MLCC = ceramic = monolithic.

And no, it's not a bad word. I use them all the time.

EDIT:
Quote from: RobA on June 20, 2013, 06:17:32 AM
The 50V WIMA MKS 2 are 3.5 x 7.2 x 8.5 mm. Mouser has them and they aren't too bad price wise.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS2-1-50-10/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF2CPLAojp4yW5Q0WRWoDlA8%3d

OOHH! That's it. I guess I missed one (other WIMAs were not so small). :D

8.5mm is still a little tall for the average 1590A build, I think, but it could be possible.

croquet hoop

Quote from: RobA on June 20, 2013, 06:17:32 AM
The 50V WIMA MKS 2 are 3.5 x 7.2 x 8.5 mm. Mouser has them and they aren't too bad price wise.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS2-1-50-10/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF2CPLAojp4yW5Q0WRWoDlA8%3d

Oh, right, that could be interesting. Could the 10% tolerance be a problem? (I guess not since it's acceptable for MLCCs and tants, but I'd rather ask)

RobA

It depends on what you are using them for. For a filter with a critical cutoff frequency, it probably isn't good enough. For use as a decoupling cap, where you usually are going to be seeing 1µF caps, 10% is almost always going to be fine.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

croquet hoop

I see. But for example, if I take C2 in this Big Muff schematic: http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_guts.html#Circuit

It says both:  "Coupling cap/High pass filter with volume pot" ;D In this case I'd say that a lower tolerance cap would be fine, am I right?

Vallhagen

Quote from: croquet hoop on June 20, 2013, 06:40:52 AM
In this case I'd say that a lower tolerance cap would be fine, am I right?

Yes you're right.
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

RobA

Nice page, I haven't seen it before.

Yep, the decoupling cap is going to form an HP filter with whatever the impedance is that follows. For the output cap, it's the volume pot paralleled with the input impedance of whatever follows. You can compute cutoff frequency using the formula,

F = 1.0/(2 π C R)

If you plug in the numbers from the Big Muff output using say, 1.0µF and 0.8µF, both would be OK for a guitar circuit (keeping in mind that the cutoff is where you have started to come up from the filter knocking out most of the signal so you really want the cutoff a couple of octaves lower than your lowest notes you are going to play).

The only place you might get in trouble with it is if you had a low input impedance pedal or amp coming right after the BMP.