News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another Newbie Parts Thread (Zombii)

Started by aunchaki, January 28, 2011, 07:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aunchaki

Hello! I'm taking a stab and building a Zombii. I've been going over the Project PDF w/parts list and I'm putting together an order from Small Bear. I have a few newbie questions:

Q1: I think I've got the capacitors sorted. From the PCB (and searching small bear), it looks like the 10mf and 47mf caps are electrolytic caps and the 100nf/.1mf cap (C2) is not. Is this correct?

Q2: What are your thoughts on the LEDs: 5mm or 3mm? I'm assuming 3mm (looking at other pedals I own).

Q3: Is the switch a 3PDT? NOT momentary, correct?

Q4: Jacks: I know I need one mono (tip/sleeve) and one stereo (tip/ring/sleeve). What are your thoughts on the basic Switchcraft vs. the enclosed black plastic ones?

Q5: DC Power Jack: I'm struggling to find the right one on the small bear site. I use a 1-SPOT. It looks like the plugs are 5mm outside diameter.

Q6: Any idea of the enclosure this is supposed to go into (the size of the zvex one)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michael

Haberdasher

Q1 The round ones on the pcb doc are the electros; make sure you order radial instead of axial.  16v is probably ok, but I usually go with 25v.

C2 is the only one that is film.  I'd go for a topmay or panasonic there.

Q2 completely your choice.  A lot of my old pedals used 3mm, but many of us like the 5's.  It's just a matter of aesthetics.

Q3 3pdt for true bypass.  Not momentary.

Q4 I've only used enclosed once, but they weren't switchcraft.  The ones I used had a real cheapo feel to them, but I'm sure the name brand ones are better.
I normally use Switchcraft or Neutrik, both are good.
You need a stereo and a mono if you are going with the option to also power with 9v battery.  If you aren't going to include the battery snap, you'll only need 2 mono jacks.

Q5 use the 2.1mm plastic jacks.  Round ones.

Q6 1590b or 1290s
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

aunchaki

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't really use batteries in any of my pedals, so I'm eliminating the battery snap and going with two mono Switchcraft jacks.

Small Bear has a "Taiwanese 'B' Size" small enclosure that is licensed from ZVex (4.39" x 2.36" x 1.03" OD). It comes raw, polished, painted or powder-coated. It looks like the Zombii board (3.61" x 0.86") will fit inside. It'll be a tight fit, but the ZVex stuff is very small.

Off to double-check, then place, my order!

Thanks!

Michael

lincolnic

That enclosure is the one you want - if you're not using a battery, you'll have no problem fitting everything. (You could fit a battery too, with a little extra planning.)

Some people like to use these DC jacks because they've got an external nut - the other ones have the nut on the inside, which means that once you wire it up you can't take it out of the enclosure without cutting your wires: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=666

maysink

Try and get the 9mm pots that solder directly to the PCB like these. You eliminate 15 wiring points plus the PCB is mounted automatically. Good luck and let us know where you get your germ transistors.
[nothing to see here]
-e

aunchaki

Quote from: maysink on January 29, 2011, 07:41:48 AMTry and get the 9mm pots that solder directly to the PCB

I did get the 9mm mini-pots. I really like the small size of the zvex pedals, and definitely want to make soldering as easy as possible.

Quote from: maysink on January 29, 2011, 07:41:48 AMGood luck and let us know where you get your germ transistors.

I got a pair of PNP Germaniums from Small Bear. They may or may not be best suited, but I tried to pick something middle of the road (without breaking the bank). I also got two transistor sockets to mount on the board, so I can easily swap transistors later.

When stuff arrives and the build starts, I'll post a build thread. Thanks for all the help so far!

eniacmike

Quote from: aunchaki on January 29, 2011, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: maysink on January 29, 2011, 07:41:48 AMTry and get the 9mm pots that solder directly to the PCB

I did get the 9mm mini-pots. I really like the small size of the zvex pedals, and definitely want to make soldering as easy as possible.

Quote from: maysink on January 29, 2011, 07:41:48 AMGood luck and let us know where you get your germ transistors.

I got a pair of PNP Germaniums from Small Bear. They may or may not be best suited, but I tried to pick something middle of the road (without breaking the bank). I also got two transistor sockets to mount on the board, so I can easily swap transistors later.

When stuff arrives and the build starts, I'll post a build thread. Thanks for all the help so far!

you will be happy with the pnp's from small bear. any of them will work for the zombii.