News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy MN3005 failed

Started by r4ndy, July 01, 2013, 06:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4ndy

I have an older Aquaboy (red pcb from FSB buy) that worked fine when I built it, when I recently plugged it into my voodoo labs power supply it would not get any delay - the only thing that happened moving any of the knobs was a very slight whine when cranking up one of the pots (I think it was the feedback pot).

I pulled the pedal off the board and plugged it into a one spot, same thing. Tweaking all the trimpots had no effect. I then swapped out the MN3005 with another one and got delay, I then tried a few more chips and they all worked fine.

It dawned on me I had the voodoo labs power supply set for an original Boss DM-3 at 12V. I thought the increased voltage might have caused the failure, but what I have seen in other threads suggest I should be able to run the Aquaboy at 15V, so I am thinking 12V should be fine.

Could the 12V have friednthe chip? If it was not the voltage any suggestions on how to troubleshoot to ensure I don't lose another chip?

Thanks

jimilee

Did you get delay in the Aquaboy from another mn3005 and not the original? Or did you take the mn3005 out of the Aquaboy and put it in another build?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

r4ndy

I put 4 other MN3005 in the Aquaboy and all work, but the original one I had in the pedal will not work. I don't have another BBD based delay to test in.

Scruffie

Sounds pretty dead to me  :(

The 3005 can handle 15V MAX so 12 is within the limits.

They are static sensitive parts though.
Works at Lectric-FX

r4ndy

The pedal worked before I boxed it up, I doubt it was static related, but it is possible.

Could someone help a paint by numbers builder with where I would measure input to the MN3005 to ensure my voltage is not going north of 15V for some odd reason.

Scruffie

Quote from: r4ndy on July 02, 2013, 03:47:26 PM
The pedal worked before I boxed it up, I doubt it was static related, but it is possible.

Could someone help a paint by numbers builder with where I would measure input to the MN3005 to ensure my voltage is not going north of 15V for some odd reason.
Just measure all 8 pins of the MN3005 and list the voltages, should tell us a lot.

Maybe you got a voltage spike out of your supply somehow, that'd kill it.
Works at Lectric-FX

r4ndy

Thanks Scruffie - I will check it out.