News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point DD Clock Noise

Started by MADWAGNER, July 02, 2013, 10:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MADWAGNER

Hey guys,
I've got another build to debug, it was a bad week.
I built a zero point dd delay, and when I fired it up all I got was a clock noise, tick sound.
I was wondering if anyone knows what might cause this?
This is my first Delay pedal and I have no idea where to start debugging.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jkokura

I haven't double checked your values, but have you?

Also, if you could take voltages, that might help.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

'Clock noise' is a high pitched whine. It doesn't go tick-tick-tick. THAT sound is usually a power supply short.

MADWAGNER

hi guys thanks for the reply!
Quote from: midwayfair on July 02, 2013, 10:19:10 PM
'Clock noise' is a high pitched whine. It doesn't go tick-tick-tick. THAT sound is usually a power supply short.
You were dead on. The tick noise is gone now that I changed the supply. But now I get no sound

Quote from: jkokura on July 02, 2013, 10:16:41 PM

No I'll double check them now. I've never done voltage readings with my multimeter yet. I'm not quite sure how. I did try to check and all got was a fluxiuanting number. This also happened when I tried to check the voltage on the dc jack. I couldn't get it read 9, it just moved between 3 different readings. Maybe I dont have the right settign on my multimeter. I'm not sure.

midwayfair

Quote from: MADWAGNER on July 02, 2013, 11:18:32 PM
hi guys thanks for the reply!
Quote from: midwayfair on July 02, 2013, 10:19:10 PM
You were dead on. The tick noise is gone now that I changed the supply. But now I get no sound

Quote from: jkokura on July 02, 2013, 10:16:41 PM

No I'll double check them now. I've never done voltage readings with my multimeter yet. I'm not quite sure how. I did try to check and all got was a fluxiuanting number. This also happened when I tried to check the voltage on the dc jack. I couldn't get it read 9, it just moved between 3 different readings. Maybe I dont have the right settign on my multimeter. I'm not sure.

Jacob gives instructions for taking voltages in the tech help rules thread. :)

MADWAGNER

Quote from: midwayfair on July 03, 2013, 12:32:24 AM

Jacob gives instructions for taking voltages in the tech help rules thread. :)

I got it working! I read Jacob's post on troubleshooting and noticed I was getting no voltage reading at the DC Jack.So I replaced it and It works! ;D
Thanks again for the help!

Tcheloviski

the same problem.
I got clean sound and a tick tick tick from effect.

what you do?

MADWAGNER

I was lucky and it was just a bad DC jack. So you could try replacing it. But try a different 9v adaptor if you have one first. If you can, test the voltage of the Jack with the adaptor plugged in. You should be get around 9v I think. Hope this helps.
I'm still learning myself.

jimilee

So on my delay build today, some 15 or 20 pedals in, I actually installed the IC backwards and got no delay, Post some pictures and take some voltage readings, and start another tech help thread.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

MADWAGNER

This is alittle off subject but last night I finished my Mudbunny GreenRussian. And I plugged it in and it had the weirdest fizzy distortion I've heard. It turns out I soldered my spare Lm78L05 Power regulator in place of the 2n5088 transistor. I love it when it's something simple like that.