News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uproar opamp

Started by ckim715, January 31, 2011, 09:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckim715

So I just ordered the BOM for the Uproar, I'm praying I got the right Opamps. This will work fine, right?
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RC4580IPvirtualkey59500000virtualkey595-RC4580IP

*crosses fingers*
-Charlie

Haberdasher

You got what is probably the same chip, only made by Texas Instruments instead of New Japan Radio.  I'm guessing the ones you got will work fine.  The NJM chips linked in the build document are only 40 cents each though, so you may have overpaid a bit.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Ang3lus

will the rc4558 work as well ?
should work, no ?

easier to get for me, mouser has a 40$ shipping charge to israel

Haberdasher

Wow, $40 shipping is steep!

Anyway, 4558 work for sure because the dual op amp pinout will be the same.  Whether it sounds the same, I don't know.

If I decide to build this one, I'll use LM833N's just because I already have a few of those.  If you can get those they might make a better substitute.

Anyone else have an opinion on op amp subs for this pedal?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

4558 will work fine. 2272 is another good choice.

ckim715

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 31, 2011, 10:02:58 PM
You got what is probably the same chip, only made by Texas Instruments instead of New Japan Radio.  I'm guessing the ones you got will work fine.  The NJM chips linked in the build document are only 40 cents each though, so you may have overpaid a bit.

Yeah, stupidly, I clicked the link after I placed the order. Oh well, live and learn, I guess.
-Charlie

pandadandan

Quote from: madbean on February 01, 2011, 06:58:53 AM
4558 will work fine. 2272 is another good choice.

2272 is my new favourite opamp.

The Zendrive sounds pretty average with the AD712.  With the OPA2272, it sounds amazing.

madbean

I totally agree. The 2272 just seems to "have it". The differences in tone with different op-amps is usually pretty subtle, IMO, but it does seem to have a little bit extra of something.

I just slapped together a real mojo-type Klon for fun (all the standard bullshit: carbon comps, fishy caps and so on) and tried it with 2272 for IC1 and 2. Sounds very nice!

camsna

Hows about an NJM4580L ?

Ang3lus

I just slapped together a real mojo-type Klon for fun (all the standard bullshit: carbon comps, fishy caps and so on) and tried it with 2272 for IC1 and 2. Sounds very nice!

where can i get carbon comps for all values, and fishy caps ?
any online store i can buy from ?

pandadandan

Quote from: madbean on February 02, 2011, 03:40:37 AM
I totally agree. The 2272 just seems to "have it". The differences in tone with different op-amps is usually pretty subtle, IMO, but it does seem to have a little bit extra of something.

Oops TLC not OPA!  Anyway...
I used six of them in my AD-202 (rackmount analogue delay).  Ripped out the chips that were in there (super mojo vintage tubescreamer JRC4558D - in the bin you go!) and in went the 2272s.  Nothing lost in the analogue mojo stakes, but everything gained in beautiful clarity.  No more nasty distortion either.

A magic chip...

madbean

Quote from: Ang3lus on February 02, 2011, 09:11:26 AM

where can i get carbon comps for all values, and fishy caps ?
any online store i can buy from ?

Mouser has some carbon comps. I've bought from them. I also have some that I got from a local shop in Texas.

For fish caps, you pretty much have to go eBay. All I had is some 100n ones I got from Geekmacdaddy on BYOC. But, I've seen plenty of others on eBay. Pricey, though.

Ang3lus

which version of the 2272 would i need
TLC2272AIP ?

oldhousescott

The AIP has the best specs and is only 20 cents more, although the IP or CP would work as well.