News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is there a soul preacher clone?

Started by jimilee, July 04, 2013, 01:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

A little off topic... but who wants (or wants bean) to clone the EHX white finger compressor from this here schematic i've got?

Did check but I don't have the new soul preacher factory schematic.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on July 04, 2013, 03:25:35 PM
A little off topic... but who wants (or wants bean) to clone the EHX white finger compressor from this here schematic i've got?

Me. (I've got a Black Finger, which I love, but it's big and clunky. I'd like to see how the white finger compares.)
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Quote from: jimilee on July 04, 2013, 03:36:26 PM
Quote from: Guitafuzz on July 04, 2013, 03:12:59 PM

Hey Jimille i think this could help.

Cheers

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Compressors%20Gates%20and%20Limiters/Electro%20Harmonix%20Soul%20Preacher.pdf
is that the El nano?

I think this is the older version. It matches the schematic I have. But, It's EHX. They easily could have gone back to their older design or something close to it for the Nano. We need that photo of the top. It probably will just lift out.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

Quote from: RobA on July 04, 2013, 03:46:49 PM
Quote from: jimilee on July 04, 2013, 03:36:26 PM

Cheers

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Compressors%20Gates%20and%20Limiters/Electro%20Harmonix%20Soul%20Preacher.pdf
is that the El nano?

I think this is the older version. It matches the schematic I have. But, It's EHX. They easily could have gone back to their older design or something close to it for the Nano. We need that photo of the top. It probably will just lift out.
I'll see what I can do. Like I said, it's borrowed so I'll see if I can get it out. I could fix it if I break it, I just don't want to have to.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

I'm nervous every time I pull apart one of the pedals I personally own. I'll do a web search and see if I can find a shot of it.

midwayfair

hahahaha, I just looked at the schematic.

Do you want to know what it is? It's an Orange Squeezer with buffered input and a full-wave rectifier on the other half of the op amp.

Don't get me wrong, there's other "modernized" stuff going on, but the resemblance is uncanny. The power section is freaking awesome (maybe it's just my infatuation with discrete transistors talking).

Why the hell is the input impedance so low?  ???

Jimi, I think the switch in the nano would just be a resistor between the base of Q2 and the two diodes. I think changing the 20K would do something similar. Basically, anything that affects the current flow on Q2 after the rectifier. Technically these are altering the threshold, but that's just because few compressors really do have an attack control. (Manufacturers are really loose with the term, and 90% of the time it's affecting the threshold.)

RobA

That schematic is from an old classic Soul Preacher. I've seen claims that the newer versions are based on OTA's. It could be they've gone back to the older design for the Nano model, but I haven't seen any info one way or the other yet.

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on July 04, 2013, 04:21:48 PM
hahahaha, I just looked at the schematic.

Do you want to know what it is? It's an Orange Squeezer with buffered input and a full-wave rectifier on the other half of the op amp.

Don't get me wrong, there's other "modernized" stuff going on, but the resemblance is uncanny. The power section is freaking awesome (maybe it's just my infatuation with discrete transistors talking).

Why the hell is the input impedance so low?  ???

Jimi, I think the switch in the nano would just be a resistor between the base of Q2 and the two diodes. I think changing the 20K would do something similar. Basically, anything that affects the current flow on Q2 after the rectifier. Technically these are altering the threshold, but that's just because few compressors really do have an attack control. (Manufacturers are really loose with the term, and 90% of the time it's affecting the threshold.)

I got a ross clone pcb (a red one ) from someone here recently with an attack knob probably close to the same thing probably huh.

atreidesheir

old one
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/MarkMs-Gallery/album15/album76/Soul_Preacher_revision_7_PNP.gif.html
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/MarkMs-Gallery/album15/album76/Soul_Preacher_revision_7_LAYOUT.gif.html

One of MarkM's layouts.  He says, "Here's an interesting "relative" of the Orange Squeezer. This circuit is much cleaner and smoother."
Mark is a diy senior statesman and his layouts are usually on the money.  I remember someone saying this version was a bit noisy, but every preacher I heard was. amen.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jimilee

Cheers

Hey thank you so much. Is that the first one or  the el nano version isn't it? I'm looking for the el nano version because it has the knee switch with 3 selections.

Scruffie

Quote from: jimilee on July 04, 2013, 08:39:04 PM

Cheers

Hey thank you so much. Is that the first one or  the el nano version isn't it? I'm looking for the el nano version because it has the knee switch with 3 selections.
Not to nitpick... but the el symbol is actually an h coming out the e :P

It's very possible the switch on the new version has just had another cap added to make it 3 position, for something so simple, it'd probably be best to breadboard it and compare it to the one in your possession.

Quote from: RobA on July 04, 2013, 04:45:10 PM
That schematic is from an old classic Soul Preacher. I've seen claims that the newer versions are based on OTA's. It could be they've gone back to the older design for the Nano model, but I haven't seen any info one way or the other yet.
The old Big Muff deluxe used an OTA based version of the Soul Preacher I think  ??? I guess they could have taken it from that.

It depends how early they started producing the soul preacher, at the restart of EHX everything was pretty much straight copies of the original (unless a word like stereo was added) that changed as the years went on though.

Quote from: RobA on July 04, 2013, 03:45:07 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on July 04, 2013, 03:25:35 PM

Me. (I've got a Black Finger, which I love, but it's big and clunky. I'd like to see how the white finger compares.)
To the Bean mobile!

I mean i'll post a request...
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on July 05, 2013, 02:46:09 AM
[...]
The old Big Muff deluxe used an OTA based version of the Soul Preacher I think  ??? I guess they could have taken it from that.

I have seen this mentioned as the possible source of the new Soul Preacher design before. I don't know though, I can't find a shot of the PCB anywhere so far.

[...]
To the Bean mobile!

I mean i'll post a request...

That would be very cool. Thanks!