News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmlee

I've always wondered too (uk) so I recently tried making some.  They were more like scones, but lighter and fluffier, probs due to all the butter.

Marcus

>Marcus

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on March 31, 2016, 09:58:51 AM
Sounds a little bit like Yorkshire Pudding.

I think it's closer to a danish or puff pastry in principal. The dough is leavened with baking power, kneeded and rolled out, then a circle is cut out, and it puffs up in the oven. They're soft quick dough.

Yorkshire Pudding is a completely different family of baked goods comprised of

Egg
Flour
Milk
Fat

in similar proportions. That family includes crepes, waffles (moreso than pancakes, I think), popovers, etc.

Biscuits are far drier and do not involve eggs.

davent

And if you can't be bother mixing up your own dough there's Bisquick, "90 seconds from package to oven".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisquick

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

White Bean/Sausage Soup with Beer Biscuits, from back a few months.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Was abandoned for the evening...

Solace in bacon...

dave

midwayfair

welp, i know what i want for dinner tonight.

disorder

Dave, I need to know how you fry your eggs. In my opinion that's how a fried egg should look.

davent

Well i'm no expert but a constant experimenter so this time...

Heavy, well seasoned carbon steel frying pan, low heat, 3.5 on a dial that tops at ten, old electric range. We never wash the frying pan just wipe it out with a paper towel when finished cooking.

Heat up the pan, add a pat of butter, swirl around to coat the bottom, in with an egg cracked directly into the pan and cook until set to your taste. Sometimes i'll put a lid on the pan near the end to speed up the setting of the white but of late haven't bothered.

This one was not so smooth, the pan had sat for too long on the heat before i started so was too hot initially, knew as soon as the butter was added. The egg whites spilled out widely so had to be reshaped after they had lightly set. The browned edges would be a result of a too hot pan i and the browning butter (i believe), desirable for some, others not.

Thought about flipping, would have looked prettier but again didn't bother. Releases no problem from the pan, i use a very thin, very flexible stainless steel spatula, pretty sure an OXO brand.

dave

midwayfair

My preferred method of fried eggs is butter, lots of it, and you drop the egg in and almost deep fry it. Spoon the butter on top repeatedly like cooking a steak. I'm pretty sure that's the classic french method, buy my grandmother basically did the same except with bacon fat. You get crispy edges and it doesn't overcook. But it's a LOT of fat involved. Which is probably why it's so freaking delicious.

... I love eggs.

nmbb

Finaly a cooking thread :P Love the hot sauce recipies, will try one of these days (And not to chop you into little pieces...). For my dinner in parent's home, don't know yet, but for soup i'll have "caldo verde", (google it!). for tomorrow lunch I'll have some tuna with onion and tomato sauce (We call it in Portugal, "cebolada").

See you after dinner!

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on April 09, 2016, 11:13:40 AM

... I love eggs.

Me too, even it's natural packaging i find enthralling, they just look so cool! I do however have a line in the sand, won't go near an egg that has had air incorporated into it, i can't bear the texture, any hot/warm food i can chew with my tongue, no go, can't do it. However egg options are pretty unlimited.

Family album

dave

disorder

Quote from: davent on April 09, 2016, 11:00:18 AM
This one was not so smooth, the pan had sat for too long on the heat before i started so was too hot initially, knew as soon as the butter was added. The egg whites spilled out widely so had to be reshaped after they had lightly set. The browned edges would be a result of a too hot pan i and the browning butter (i believe), desirable for some, others not.

Seems like timing is key. The few times I committed to frying it on low heat in my cast iron the whites started to puff up and bubble even before they were fully cooked. Still tasty with perfect yolk just not as presentable, I like them to look fake almost.

davent

Zero pedals in a year but i gotta eat!

For a snowy spring evening...

Porchetta- Sage, rosemary, garlic, fennel seeds, black pepper, salt, orange zest, lemon juice & olive oil paste filling/coating. Pancetta wrapper.

Yellow fleshed potatoes, carrots & celeriac chunks roasted with garlic and olive oil.

dave

chromesphere

Dave, seriously mate, screw pedals...start up a restaurant  :o

Even your eggs on toast are making me salivate.  Your an excellent cook mate, even if your just a home cook, you make amazing food!

what is the cut of meat you used in the perchetta wrapped roll?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

davent

Thank you Paul! How's that first billion coming along, i'm packed, the ground is now white again, crazy!

The cut here is a boneless loin that's been butterflied. The recipe also mentions in an aside that you could do similar with a pork shoulder. The loin makes for a nice presentation but i'm guessing the shoulder might make for a moister tastier meal. Following he recipe i cooked to medium which was too far for our preference so next time i'll cut the time and do some tweaking of the filling/coating.

Take care!
dave