News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Still trying to adjust quantities for cooking for two and not having leftovers although our daughter is happy to drop by and take them off our hands.

Leftover chicken used by my wife for a pot pie on the weekend.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Tonight, because we didn't get to it last night, all new ones,  honey/mustard crusted rack of lamb from Thomas Keller, roasted fingerling potatoes with baby arugula and  horseradish sauce, sauteed mixed mushrooms, found shiitakes/enoki/oyster/kingoyster/enoki, those two recipes from a local cookbook and baked mini Camembert with quick homemade bread sticks.

Have an okay week...dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Damn, sometimes I wish I wasn't vegetarian. That looks amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Thanks very much Jimi! Had never had or cooked rack of lamb before,  i have now, it was alright, the mushrooms and potatoes were the winners worth doing again.
dave

davent

Local food writer/promoter had giveaway last week on her Instagram account in conjunction with a local restaurant we'd never been to and i was one of the two winners, full meal for four and we're still on no dining so takeout. We're really not much on takeout, maybe a half dozen times in the last year and that would be excessive but this time it was really really good.

Burrata cheese with candied squash and hazel nuts, Polo Alfredo, Arugula/prosciutto pizza, Caesar salad, Tiramisu & Blueberry/Oreo cheesecake for dessert.

Have a couple bags of fresh lo mein noodles. First up noodles with seared sirloin steak with cucumbers, peppers, mushrooms, cilantro, cinnamon basil, garlic, sesame oil, fish sauce & lime juice...

... then a constantly evolving/changing, Asian informed, chicken noodle soup. I usually throw all the vegetables together into the wok to cook en-mass but this time used a couple heavy pans to cook them individually and this will be the way going forward unless i can grill them. Broiled chicken thighs, the days chicken stocked coloured with Maggi, seared Shiitake & black oyster mushrooms, sugar snap peas, bok choy, carrots, topped with bean sprouts, cinnamon basil, radish, crispy chicken skin, toasted sesame oil & Sambal Oelek. Great soup winter or summer.

take care,dave

davent

Catching up.

Tuesday - Cat Food, based on a recipe by Mandy Lee in Escapism Cooking. Tin of smoked sardines, chopped parsley/cilantro/cinnamonbasil/arugula/scallions, sardine oil, lemon oil, fish sauce, pickled biquinho chili juice, crumbled Arbol chili, minced fresh ginger, radish, basmati rice.

Wednesday, for years, no decades have made vegetable stir fries on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, infinitely variable and delicious, every spoonful in every bowl is different. If there's any leftover protein in the fridge i'll add that to that wok at the end of cooking to mix in and warm. This time  protein a protein boosti prepped a block of extra firm tofu flavouring it with Maggi and Sambal Oelek.

Sugar snap peas, broccoli, bok choy, cremini mushrooms, scallions, fresh ginger and garlic, sauce of Maggi, oyster sauce, Srirachi, & chicken stock thickened with cornstarch, on lo mein noodles.

Today, Thursday, market day, picked up a chunk of seven year old orange cheddar & a small wedge of Shropshire to go with bits and pieces at home. My wife's mac n' cheese, roux with today's cheddar & a piece of white Irish cheddar, a couple kinds of fusilli for pasta, those mixed and into the dish with scattered random chunks of the Shropshire and cubes of Camembert, topping of panko/parmesan & ground Aleppo pepper. Feta cheese for the garden salad...

Ever changing.

Take care.dave

davent

Polo Cacciatore -  skinless boneless chicken thighs, roasted peppers, portabello mushrooms, red onion, Kalamata olives, rosemary, a jar of tomato chunks, served atop polenta, really, really good with the polenta, a weak spot. If there is a second time will use cremini mushrooms and more olives they were a highlight hidden away in there.

Take care,dave

alanp

Dave, nice! I've got a feral old rosemary bush I need to rip out in the front garden -- while it looks big, the inside is all woody stems, and the green parts are always dry. It does smell nice, though, and the bees love it. So maybe I'll put a new plant in.

Got a cooking request the other day (Mum wanted scones.) I'm a wee bit scone'd out, and rubbing in the butter is the part I hate doing. (Some people cut the butter in... that's not how I was taught in Home Economics in Intermediate!)

Once work slows down, and I go from six day work weeks to five, I'm planning on making a nice batch of cheburek, with chives from my garden and (if they're still around by then) dill from same. Venison mince is best for this, if you can get it easily.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Thanks Alan! Last year we brought in our rosemary for the winter and it survived, this year brought it in again and it's done, have to replace in the spring. Re may be able to rejuvenate your plant with judicious trimming at the appropriate time of year, nice that they're perennial for you, only once have we had one make it through the winter, a fluke.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/rosemary/rejuvenation-of-rosemary.htm
dave

davent

Pork/Squash Vindaloo, basmati, & papadums.

Pork tenderloin, butternut squash, red onion, garlic, jar of tomatoes, half a jar of tomato sauce, madras curry paste and cilantro for taste and colour.

Have a good week!dave

davent

Saturday night and nowhere to go... first grill for 2021, forgot how good open fire cooked food tastes, the start of many good things to come.

Started dinner with an tomato egg drop soup, used a jar of tomato chunks, a bit of ground pork, garlic,  green onions, couple drizzled in eggs, edamame, corn more green onions.

Grilled ribeye with Shropshire blue cheese butter, grilled prosciutto wrapped green beans, fingerling potatoes braised in chicken/porcini mushroom stock, radish/snow pea salad.

Stay well.dave

alanp

Mmm. Fried the bacon and onion on a pan, added that to some macaroni in the oven dish, and added some cheese, as well as cheese sauce, with breadcrumbs and more cheese on top.

I actually screwed up on the cheese sauce -- it was a type I'd never used before, that needed the milk and powder to be simmered on the stove. Being the idiot that I am, I had it way too high, and the bottom burnt, resulting in a decidedly smoky flavour to the cheese sauce.

Quite edible in the end, however 8)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

March's pizza night, made the dough Friday and kept in the fridge for 48 hours, '00' and all but need to work on this.

#1 - the house favourite variation, drained jar of our tomato sauce, pepperoncini peppers, we grew these yellow biquinho peppers last year and their killer on pizzas, need to pickle and can a whole lot more this year, Abruzzo sausage, fior di latte cheese.

#2 - pesto, more garlic oil, mixed dried tomatoes, walnuts, chevre, balsamic glaze. Tomatoes didn't take kindly to being broiled but tasted fine.

Monday, monday... take care
dave

davent

Use what you have, dinner in a hurry, random part bags of pasta, jar of summer tomato sauce, onion & garlic, 200g paortion of veal/pork sausage from the freezer, jarred pesto, dried Arbol chili, olive oil, Parmesan.

Have a good day.dave

davent

Wanting to work on pizza dough tuesday mixed up a one pizza dough using hard flour rather than the '00' flour which is a soft flour, 65% hydration rather than 70% in the '00' recipe, yeast and salt samo % in both recipes, the hard flour recipe wants kneading the '00' never gets to the kneading stage more just mixing to uniformity.

Degassed the dough Wednesday and made the pizza Thursday.

Left over sausage pasta sauce, half a ball of fior di latte cheese, pepperonicini, pesto in a squeeze bottle, much happier with the crust of the recipe, used it for a long time before experimenting with '00' flour.

Tonight, Nova Scotia halibut poached in tomato sauce with chorizo, green olives and thyme, Brussels sprouts colcannon. Not so thrilled with poaching, rarely do any cooking in water, this ended up reinforcing my avoidance.

Have a good weekend,dave