News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

Quote from: davent on August 27, 2013, 03:34:09 PM
Quote from: das234 on August 27, 2013, 03:14:14 PM
I've done pretzels before but not bagels.  Do you use lye solution to make your pretzels nice and brown?

Yeah i was surprised by that the other day while looking for sources of sodium hyrdoxide for use as photoresist board developer. Found food grade sodium hyrdroxide, why do we need food grade NaOH... turns out it was pretzels. Do your pretzels then develop your boards.

Jon any good resource/books/magazines that you are fond of. Here, like pedal building, bread baking is a cold weather activity although bread baking on the bbq works well and bbq'd pizza is a mainstay. Have had good success with recipes from Laurel's Kitchen bread book and last winter was exploring Peter Reinhart's; Whole Grain Breads. Any suggestions?

Curious as to how much bread are you're having to come up with each week?

Thanks
dave

PS. The bagels look great, i've got some perfectly ripe tomatoes on the vine and some smoky bacon in the fridge... just need something toasty to slip them between.

I'm probably not the bread afficionado that Jon is but I like Shirley Corriher's "Cookwise".

davent

Thanks Dave, i'll cast about and hopefully the local library has a copy.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

das234

Quote from: davent on August 27, 2013, 05:07:37 PM
Thanks Dave, i'll cast about and hopefully the local library has a copy.

I like it because it's got a lot of food science in it, and it has quite a bit on baking.  I suspect MadBeaners would be attracted to that type of thing too.  Also, Alton Brown has a Good Eats cookbook that is dedicated to baking.

davent

Quote from: das234 on August 27, 2013, 03:41:08 PM

I'm probably not the bread afficionado that Jon is but I like Shirley Corriher's "Cookwise".

Library has it and "Bakewise", also by Corriher, in the system so have both coming my way. They also have a half dozen Alton Brown books, only read  "Gear For Your Kitchen" which i really enjoyed being a tool junkie, have i number of his ideas in use here. Three different "Good Eats", one with no designation and "2", "3".

Thanks
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

The breadmaking episode of Good Eats alone is probably worth as much as reading a whole book on breadmaking. I learned so much in that 22 minutes.

Being told to knead until you get paning and looking at stills is one thing. Being shown what proper paning looks like and what improper paning looks like is another. My professional cooking textbook was useless in that regard.

das234

Agreed.  All the Good Eats books are good.  I believe volume 3 is the one focused on baking.  And the shows are tops!

DutchMF

Thought I'd revive this thread with last nights dinner: Stuffed cabbage and potato rosti!

This one of those dishes that taste much better than they look.......  :)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

Quote from: DutchMF on November 17, 2013, 02:33:09 AM
Thought I'd revive this thread with last nights dinner: Stuffed cabbage and potato rosti!

This one of those dishes that taste much better than they look.......  :)

Man that looks awesome. My rosti never come out like that (they end up more like potato pancakes).

What's the cabbage stuffed with?

DutchMF

The cabbage is filled with a mixture of minced beef, onion, carrots, some more cabbage and spiced with cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. We ate so much of it that the only thing left to do was drink one more glass of wine and go to bed.....  ;D

Paul

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on November 17, 2013, 06:36:21 AM
The cabbage is filled with a mixture of minced beef, onion, carrots, some more cabbage and spiced with cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. We ate so much of it that the only thing left to do was drink one more glass of wine and go to bed.....  ;D

Paul
Thats not a Dutch dish right?
I love Rosti! Soon will be possible to eat freshly on the chrisymas markets around..
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

DutchMF

@Gledison: that sure as hell ain't a Dutch dish, we don't have any real traditional dishes worth mentioning (well, maybe pea soup,it tastes great, but looks like it has been eaten before.........).

Me and my wife Esther have been on a cooking spree this weekend, so here is tonights dinner: Canellini been, egg plant and sausage casserole, with a nice passata/red wine sauce.

If we go on like this all winter, we won't be able to leave the house anymore........

Paul

Gledison

Hahah! I was just teasing you Paul! Well , u guys have the stampot( dont knownif its written like this)
Ah, and pofertjes ;)

midwayfair

Isn't it true that if you add potatoes to any particular German dish, it becomes Dutch?

:D

Gledison

Quote from: midwayfair on November 17, 2013, 02:29:35 PM
Isn't it true that if you add potatoes to any particular German dish, it becomes Dutch?

:D
Ahahhah! I think gean dishes already have a lot of potatoes!  :/

davent

With too much snow on the ground and rain falling from the sky the BBQ was off limits so we turned to the panini press to cook our strip loin steak for supper. Hadn't tried this before but works great, only takes half the time as it cooks both sides as once. It ain't bbq but man it hit the spot, will repeat as necessary.

180 days and 23 hours 'til summer, i can't wait.

dave