News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Here's the tofu tacos. I didn't think I got a picture before we gobbled them. I use extra firm tofu, drain it, and then pan fry it until it browns. It absorbs everything in the sauce really well, so it's basically perfect as a spice vehicle. Tomatillos instead of tomatoes and spinach instead of lettuce. And Urfa. Don't forget the Urfa.

ggarms

Jon, those look great. I've been doing falafel taco's lately with the faux ground crumbles for extra goodness.

juansolo

Got a bread maker...

Loaf 1 - Simple mis-reading of the ingredients resulted in something that could be used as an artillery shell

Loaf 2 - Looking and smelling distinctly bready... Still cooling, time will tell if it's edible.

Baking may not be my 'thing'  ;D
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Claim that it is dwarf bread... you do have a forge handy to finish "baking" it, right?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

LOL, dwarfbread it is!

The 2nd loaf... Edible... But I know my limits, I'll stick to electronics.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

Quote from: juansolo on August 26, 2014, 01:50:57 AM
LOL, dearfbread it is!

The 2nd loaf... Edible... But I know my limits, I'll stick to electronics.

Don't give up! It takes a few loafs to get it down, but it's totally worth it.

davent

Great looking tacos Jon, nice to see another carnivore bravely singing the praises of tofu on it's own terms.

Juan, i seem to recall reading that with breadmaking machines you need to stick religiously to the recipe/procedure or you're courting failure. Like Jon said hang in there, the dividends are pure pleasure when it finally all comes together. I produced weekly pans of building bricks for the longest time, i had a 10k bag of flour i was going to see through to the end and a book of brick recipes, not till i found another book in the library with proper instructions and recipes did i have my first immediate success.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

http://www.tleaft.co.nz/jasmine-dragon-pearls-green-tea.html

Jasmine Dragon Pearl tea is really, really nice. You prepare it by putting 5 pearls in a mug, and add hot water. That's it. Wait however long, and drink (decanting somewhat when you get to the huge leaves at the bottom.)

Costs a bit, but you can re-use the leaves several times by just adding more hot water to the mug.

Easiest tea to prepare in existance.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Unfortunately no photos (always too eager to eat than to snap pics ;D), but me and my wife have been using Hello Fresh for a while now.

To put it bluntly, it is fan-f*cking-tastic.

If you are in the UK, check it out: http://www.hellofresh.co.uk/

My wife is a stern veggie, so we get the vegetarian box each week. The recipes are delicious, and it saves the hassle of having to come up with a meal plan (which always ends up being the same stuff).

We both hate routine with food ('friday is curry night!' etc) so the surprise each week is nice.

I'm not sure if there is a US alternative (the logistics would be difficult on a national level I imagine), but I would think it should be possible as a single state only service.

davent

That looks great! Can totally relate to the need for new tastes all the time, grew up under a totally regimented food regime, how only respite and hope was that dad wasn't going to be home for supper then we might get some fun food. He's somewhat more adventuresome now. I'm always scouring books and magazines for new ideas, i find the internet a pretty much a waste when it comes to food- books and food magazines!

Ask anyone around here and they'll tell the summer has sucked but no one told our tomatoes, we haven't had a year like this in a very long time. A couple bags of dried tomatoes in the freezer and a great stock sauce and broken tomatoes. From 12 Amish Paste tomatoe plants 3 dozen pints so far and if the weather holds we should be adding a good bit more to that.

One of todays projects-- yielded 10 pints of sauce.

So far... but not all... workbench's on the otherside of the wall.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Quote from: davent on August 19, 2014, 09:36:16 PM
As long as the weather holds I'm looking at upwards of 40-50 ripe fruit from one Trinidad Scorpion and one Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia) plant growing in pots in our garden. Is there anyone with first hand experience that can suggest sane ways to put these little napalm bombs into use?

Thanks
dave

Processed these today, 26 Trindad Scorpions and 17 Ghosts, more nerve wracking then my first DE shave a week back.

Scorpion

Ghost

Two cups of peppers liquified with one cup of cider vinegar.

Four cups and a bit of jelly. Usually mix plum sauce with chili paste to use on roast chicken and roast pork, had this on roast chicken tonight and it's intense.

And even with two pairs of latex gloves, bathroom duty says two pairs of gloves are no match for capsicum oil! Watch where you put those hands!

The two plants have a second flush of blossoms on them... lots more but there's no chance of those developing with frost right around the corner.
dave

midwayfair

My parents in law gave me one of the ghost peppers off the plant they had. I decided I want to live.

stellablue

Quote from: raulduke on September 10, 2014, 08:42:53 AM
Unfortunately no photos (always too eager to eat than to snap pics ;D), but me and my wife have been using Hello Fresh for a while now.

To put it bluntly, it is fan-f*cking-tastic.

If you are in the UK, check it out: http://www.hellofresh.co.uk/

My wife is a stern veggie, so we get the vegetarian box each week. The recipes are delicious, and it saves the hassle of having to come up with a meal plan (which always ends up being the same stuff).

We both hate routine with food ('friday is curry night!' etc) so the surprise each week is nice.

I'm not sure if there is a US alternative (the logistics would be difficult on a national level I imagine), but I would think it should be possible as a single state only service.

Hello fresh operates in the US as well. It's a cool service, but I prefer the cost sharing coops from local farms.

davent

Braised Ox Tails with Orange Gramolota & Colcannon- Yukon Gold potatoes, bacon, harvested-this-afternoon-from-the-backyard brussels sprouts, lots of butter and whipping cream.

dave

midwayfair

Just a quesadilla for me tonight ... but with homemade tortillas :) Made some bacon this morning and the grease cup was getting close to full, so it was that or a pie. And I'm all out of apples for a pie.