News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

No main meal is as good as a well done hangi.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on January 23, 2015, 07:50:44 PM
No main meal is as good as a well done hangi.

Most of the world burns wood or charcoal. Leave it to NZ to do it differently!

alanp

To be fair, the river stones (if you are oldschool -- good stones that don't go CRACK in the fire are saved by families) or car suspensions/train tracks/scrap iron (if you are suburban) are heated up in fires :)

Slow cooked, everything steaming/stewing in everything's juices, stuffing and watercress, meat cooked so well it falls off the bones, lovely lovely spuds... mmm.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

SmoothAction

One of my favorite (and inexpensive) meals has to be bangers and mash. Did a brown mushroom gravy with heavily rosemary'd potatoes. Used a variety of sausages, all were great.

Fresh green beans baked with olive oil, pepper, and just a smidge of salt.

Used cold sour cream mixed with horseradish for dipping, it's a heavy meal and can be too rich. Ran out of mustard!

Yum.

midwayfair

That is some sophisticated bangers and mash right there! You're making me hungry :)

SmoothAction

Thanks Jon. Food is my second love, coming up quick behind music and art. I want to contribute to this thread more often, I've been in the kitchen a lot these days. This morning I looked through all the pages here... now I'm hungry too.

Max

mcasemo

Oh man, just found this thread.  Here is "Braised Eggs with Lamb, Tahini, & Sumac" that I made from the cookbook Jerusalem, which is an awesome book (along with Plenty, Plenty More, and Ottolenghi).  Full disclosure, my wife works for the publisher.

midwayfair

Quote from: mcasemo on January 28, 2015, 09:22:40 PM
Oh man, just found this thread.  Here is "Braised Eggs with Lamb, Tahini, & Sumac" that I made from the cookbook Jerusalem, which is an awesome book (along with Plenty, Plenty More, and Ottolenghi).  Full disclosure, my wife works for the publisher.

Wow, that looks great! Braised eggs are a very unusual item.

I have a HUGE bag of sumac in my closet. That was a happy day when I found out about it ... I use it in all sorts of things that call for citrus when I don't have lemons on hand.

midwayfair

Happy pie day! Tiny goat cheese, onion, and balsamic pies with dinner (which was rainbox trout stuffed with ginger and scallions with a grain and pepper mix on the side), and apple pie a la mode for desert.

Lubdar

I just found this thread, and WOW this is awesome!! so many great things and slowly getting hungrier...
(--c^.^)--c

alanp

To quote Nanny Ogg, if you can see what the plate is made of, there isn't enough on it.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

playpunk

Nice! My wife made homemade fish fry and French fries last night. No pics, but holy cow it was good. Homemade tartar sauce too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

davent

Looking good Jon, don't view this thread if you're feeling the least bit hungry doesn't help at all.

Curious on food prices throughout the madbean world.

I do most of our shopping at the local farmers market so in season lots of local. Still getting locally grown storage vegetables and fruit, potatoes, carrots and onions go for 99 cents per pound, a quart of local apples, enough for a pie, will run $4, a 3 & a half pound chicken will be ~ $10.  Beef has gone crazy so shop the nearby Halal butcher who has prices of yore, for example, at the extreme, beef tenderloin for $10/lb vs. $25/lb or more elsewhere. (Canadian $'s, currently floating at less then $.80US.) For per kilo prices, multiply per lb.  by 2.2.

bon appetit
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Chicken roasted with Szechuan peppercorns and a baste with soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil; scallion pancakes; steamed buns; and sautéed bok choy with ginger and garlic. I didn't have any plum sauce, or any plum anything, so I got creative with the sauce: I used black bean paste, sesame oil, a little sugar, and marmalade.

The chicken came out perfect, probably the best roasted bird I've ever made. The skin was super crispy and the meat cooked evenly. I just split it down the breast and flattened it out, roasted it at 375 for the first 25 minutes, and then basted it every 5 minutes for another 30 at 325.

Had a ton of leftovers, too.

This was one of the most delicious meals I've made in a long time. How do I know? I think it's the only time Lexa has ever taken dinner leftovers to work for lunch.

SmoothAction

This thread needs to come back.

Avo aioli - 2 soft avocados, 2-4 ounces homemade mayo, handful of cilantro, quick squeeze of lime, salt, pepper, a little fresh dill.
Put it all in a food processor with 1 large ice cube and blend. You could even substitute ranch dressing for the mayo and skip on the seasoning, comes out great and goes well on nearly everything I've thrown at it. Very fresh, keep cold.

Boars Head roast turkey with oil, cumin, red chile powder, garlic powder, bit of pepper. Marinade 2hr (optional).

Add fresh green chile (salsa works too), sourdough toasting slowly in butter, pick your cheese to top both sides.

ADD BACON (I couldn't last night, Ms. Smoothy doesn't do pork). Great weekday sandwich with minimal prep. The aioli cuts through all the savory really well. I could eat that by the spoon all day.