News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Thanks guys, if i remember and can swing it ill take some photos on my next brew day.  Haven't done one for a while (12 months maybe), but have so many hops on hand is making the idea appealing!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

SmoothAction

After I get done sweeping my jaw off the floor I'll post some pics.

You know how hard it is to follow up with Davent's pics? What the hell am I supposed to do now?

Excellent, guys.

davent

This weekends project. Had never done cabbage rolls before, now... will definitely be doing them again! Ultimate comfort food.

Pork Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Sauerkraut

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

Dave you know im too afraid to post food in this thread anymore lol :)

So heres a picture of a new petty knife i just received today in the mail.  Its a Shigeki Tanaka VG10 steel Damascus pattern (the folding of the metal that creates the pattern on the blade is called "Damascus").  I found out about these on a kitchen knife forum, they are supposed to be "incredibly good bang for buck".  The piece of paper that i just cut through like a laser can testify to that.  Think im going to have to get a gyuto (chef knife) next, makes my globals look like toys....

Heres a youtube video of Shigeki making a blade:
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

mmlee

I've never been a big fan of the global knives tbh, don't know the big fuss around them, the blades always feel kinda flimsy and the balance is off, theyre also way too light for me, then again I was brought up using those big Chinese cleavers for everything, like this (not actually my one), so what do I know!

As for what's cooking? Made a spelt loaf on Friday

Ramen last night although no actual ramen picture I do have a little vid of the broth:
https://vimeo.com/158006788

It started by making a dashi, soaked some kumbu overnight, brought to boil, removed and added bonito flakes to steep. Also, grilled the vegetables (fennel, carrots, onions, tomatoes, celery, chestnut mushrooms), well griddled, and soaked some shitakes. Made a huge difference to the broth the dashi and the grilling added a real depth and umami to the broth. Simply seasoned with a little salt and soy and it was done.

Marcus

>Marcus

davent

Quick lunch for three, poached eggs on sourdough  toast...

dave

midwayfair

Dave, there's a ghost stealin' your food.

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on March 28, 2016, 05:31:19 AM
Dave, there's a ghost stealin' your food.

No wonder i was still hungry. My minder/dietitian protecting me from myself...
dave

mcasemo

Man, forgot about this thread.  I'm a better cooker than pedal maker I think, especially considering my latest pedal failures.   Here is my mardi gras day chicken and dumplings.  We are near the parade route and have lots of folks stop by.  I usually plan to cook something, but act like i have not planned it, then have it ready to go when everyone is done.  kinda fun.  This is from "Real Cajun" by Donald Link.  I added cream.

midwayfair

SmoothAction

Another stunning page as usual. Excellent work everyone! It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd share.

Hasselback garlic potatoes, brushed with butter every 15mins or so.

Baby Broc sauteed in bacon fat.

Beautiful NY strips, salt+pepper, finished with melted butter. Cast iron style. Still prefer ribeyes but these were delish!

The sear. Glossy, buttery goodness.

Mmmmmm.

BBQ bacon burgers with mushroom, onion, muenster cheese. No bbq sauce on this yet.

Peppered turkey and mushroom gravy over biscuits. Literally swimming in gravy, baby.

Turkey simmering in the gravy.

Biscuit with bacon, mushroom gravy and turkey, sunnyside egg with pepper.

FOOD

alanp

I don't get it, where are the biscuits?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

Interesting, according to Wiki, what USAians call biscuits, is kind of some quick dough thing. I don't know what it means by " somewhat similar to a scone, though sugar is not used in the dough" -- sugar is *NOT* put into scones! Not even savoury scones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_biscuit

This is my favourite type of biscuit.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

SmoothAction

We also spell 'color' and 'favorite' without the letter U. Don't ask me why, I'm not the pedantic type so I wouldn't know.

;D

It's a fluffy, buttery, bread thing that's circular in shape and it excels in having stuff put on it. Not much else to say about it. I suppose what your biscuit would be to me is more of a cracker or cookie in the USAia.

I recommend doing some American style biscuits, then covering it in bacon or sausage gravy. It'll click.

alanp

Sounds a little bit like Yorkshire Pudding.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website