News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Quote from: davent on May 17, 2016, 07:34:32 PM
Thanks Paul!

I hope my post didn't come across as snarky, it was an attempt at self deprecating humour.
Don't take me too seriously!

I do appreciate any feedback, good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks all.
dave

Sorry Dave must have missed that post.  Honestly though, the title is very approperiate for me because im always checking in here to see what your cooking, its inspirational.  Your attention to detail and skill is just amazing, and is clearly not limited to pedals.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

matmosphere

I thought Dave's Percolator build was so inspiring that I made... Pizza ;)

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 19, 2016, 05:42:39 PM

Awesome! I'm going to build some more pedals!

Nicely done!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 19, 2016, 05:42:39 PM

Fwoarh, nice pizza Matt!

davent

In tonight's episode of ...

Ephemeral cooking, foraged (and not by me) spring ingredients...

Something i've/we've never eaten before but a riff on a meal we ate a lot of last spring, grilled asparagus on toast with a fried egg and Parmesan.

Stir fried Fiddleheads on cheddar toast with a fried egg and Parmesan/Piave shavings. Actually fiddleheads, ramps and Shiitake Mushrooms (commercial), Morels would be the more 'correct' option but i've only ever seen those available dried in these parts.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

stringsthings

Wow!  That's really different.  I've never heard of fiddleheads but the dish looks pretty tasty.
Perfectly fried egg, BTW.
All You Need Is Love

davent

Quote from: stringsthings on May 19, 2016, 09:47:27 PM
Wow!  That's really different.  I've never heard of fiddleheads but the dish looks pretty tasty.
Perfectly fried egg, BTW.

Thanks!

Have seen fiddleheads (ostrich fern) at the market for years during a brief window in the spring but had never sampled  so was time. Taste... sort of an earthier version of asparagus. Learned it's necessary to cook before eating, never raw, can be toxic. My wife was enthused wants to try them again, me, i'll stick with asparagus which i love.  Crunchy asparagus, steam 'til it's warm enough to melt butter, salt and pepper it and i'm good. Never achieve that texture with the f-heads. I'll let someone else more familiar with them do them next, show the possibilities.

Ramps (wild leeks) are great but we knew that, again a brief spring window for enjoying!

dave

davent

Was painting an enclosure so only responsible for burning the steak when the time came.

Simple strip loin (for three), salt and pepper, olive oil. Finished with gorganzola/butter/chive log. Cheese leftover from pizza week.

Steamed 'crunchy' asparagus, butter, salt & pepper. Smashed mini reds with lemon & dill.

For dessert my wife made a rhubarb/raspberry pie, last years frozen raspberries but this years rhubarb.

dave

alanp

Burn? It hasn't cooked in the middle!

I joke, but years ago I was working at a place that had a cafeteria where you could order tea if you were on the late afternoon/evening shift. It was always good for a laugh when they had steak nights -- there was always a continuous stream of workers taking their ordered meal back, and asking the cook to cook their steak properly, please.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Finally getting nice outside, this week a few days plus 30C, time to be outside, anyways...

This is a vegan recipe from the Thug 'Vegan' cookbook and we've made it vegan in the past but the shop was out of tofu so got chicken as the replacement. Either way makes for a great 'bowl' that is getting repeat makings.

Grilled Chicken/Asparagus/Bok Choy with Rice Vermicelli & Red Curry Sauce

Red curry sauce is made with stock, red curry paste, peanut butter, lime zest & juice, minced ginger, minced garlic, brown sugar and soy sauce, cornstarch for thickening.

Much more curry sauce heaped on along the way, delicious!
Local craft brew to help quench the fire.

dave

davent

Still cooking... parallel posted elsewhere...

Daughter's gone off to Greece for two months so while the cat's away the mice will play...

All new ones tonight starting and ending with rhubarb.

Not an alcohol fan by any stretch of the imagination but have had a couple gin based concoctions of late that i've really enjoyed, tonight started with a Rhubarb Sour.[/b

Mesclun, Avocado, Radish & Fresh Herb Salad with Shallot/Honey Vinaigrette

Spit Roasted Guinea Hen Stuffed with butter and fresh garden herbs.

-backyard chives growing all over the place, French tarragon, a perennial around here and growing in a patio pot, basil starts i haven't put in the ground yet & lastly last years garlic still holding up fine hanging in the basement.

Maple Coriander Roasted Carrots

Tarragon Aoli from scratch for the bird and carrots

Creme Fraîche Panna Cotta with Ginger-Roasted Rhubard
-the creme fraîche was made with whipping cream so really a bowl full of gelatine set whipping cream

Coffee & Dark Chocolate

Was good.
Cheers guys!
dave

alanp

Apparently avocados are responsible for shocking amounts of hand injuries -- serious, tendon cutting injuries, due to people holding the avocado half in one hand, sharp knife in the other, and try and cut the stone out... the safest way, apparently, is to quarter them. Personally, I've never eaten or seen one in my life.

And, as always, you make me feel horribly lazy in the kitchen, Dave! You should do this for a living and retire a rich man :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Thanks Alan!

Avocadoes, i set it on the cutting, drive the knife point to the pit then run the blade around the pit (blade length perpendicular to the board) turning the fruit under the blade with the fruit remaining in contact with the cutting board. Complete the trip 'round, twist the two halves to seperate, the pit, i hold the avocado in the palm of my hand and drive the blade length wise into the pit, twist the pit out.

All the videos i've sampled so far show running the blade around the pit holding the avocado in the hand, crazy!

This guy does it the way i do.

dave

davent

Quick ad lib with mostly stuff on hand.

Burrito - grilled chicken, roasted peppers, goat cheese, spring onions,  cubed avocado inside and sliced outside. Grilled, then with salsa, Greek yogurt, cilantro and Extra Hot Mexican hot sauce to dress.

Cheers
dave

chromesphere