News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Quote from: davent on June 14, 2016, 08:19:22 PM
Quick ad lib with mostly stuff on hand.

I love you, man.

"Quick ad lib..."

(posts something I would only achieve on Christmas Day, if I were hosting the family get together)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on June 15, 2016, 12:12:25 AM
Quote from: davent on June 14, 2016, 08:19:22 PM
Quick ad lib with mostly stuff on hand.

I love you, man.

"Quick ad lib..."

(posts something I would only achieve on Christmas Day, if I were hosting the family get together)

Burritos are like the Partscaster of cooking, you can buy all the various bits and throw it together or scratch build whatever you feel like doing.

Have been growing on this garlic for over twenty years and every year i cut off the scapes and chuck them in the compost. Scapes command a premium at the market so this year hunted around for a use and someone suggested making Garlic Scape Pesto. Yesterday threw the handful of ingredients in the food processor and blitzed a batch. Also made up a recipe of fresh linguine. Pasta ingredients, flour and eggs, that's it.

Cheers
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

diablochris6

Last night, I made up some ropa vieja and fried plantains in a rum sauce.

Ropa Vieja:
Cut a roast or skirt steak into large chunks, and boil it in water with 2 chopped onions, 1 sliced bell pepper, 4 garlic cloves, 2 skinned tomatoes, and a bay leaf for 1 1/2 hours. Strain the liquid, shred the beef, and blend the veggies up with a food processor.

In a skillet, saute two sliced onions, a sliced green pepper, and 4 cloves of minced garlic. Then add 1/4 cup of red wine, a 15 oz can of tomato sauce, a bay leaf, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp oregano, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 10 minutes. Mix the sauce, beef, and pureed veggies and cook for another 30 minutes or so.

Fried Plantains:
Cut plantains into 1/2" slices. Place in a single layer on a skillet with a good amount of oil in it. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes, then flip, and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes.

For the rum sauce, add 2 cups of dark rum and 3/4 cup of brown sugar to a pan. After the sugar dissolves and alcohol cooks off, add a couple tablespoons of butter, let it melt, and then toss the plantains in the sauce.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

davent

Weekend update, time of year to do some grilling.

Marinated & Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with asiago cheese, carmelized onions and arugula on an sesame/egg bun. Finished in a panini press.

Hickory Smoked Beer can chicken with baked and smashed lemon potatoes, steamed aspargus.

Freezer diving, my wife made blackberry cobbler with some of last summer's remaining berries.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

davent

That drunk hens riding an improvised vertical wet roasting stand...

dave

jtaormina

Quote from: davent on June 28, 2016, 10:41:45 AM
That drunk hens riding an improvised vertical wet roasting stand...

dave

chickens everywhere weep.

davent

It's Saturday, dead fish tonight!

Another forum i post at is doing a week (well nine days) of grilling and bbq'ing so...

Grilled Wild BC Salmon  with Garlic Scape Pesto and Roasted Pepper Relish
Peanut Sauced Coleslaw
Grill Wok'd Sugar Snaps and Shemeji Mushrooms with soy sauce and chili paste.

Are there traditional meals/foods associated with 4th of July celebrations?

dave

davent

(Parallel posted on another site on grilling.)

Lots  of fiddling but i really enjoy meals of multiple small dishes so to that end individual grilled meat skewers. Along with another bowl of peanut coleslaw and whole wheat/bran/wheat germ pitas and fresh squeezed lemon/lime ade.

Bacon, bit of communication slip up with the East European butcher, 1/2 lb. thick sliced bacon, 1/2lb., equals two thick slices, in retrospect, ideal. Glazed with a Srirachi/Sambal Oelek/rice vinegar mix, Scallion Ginger Relish.
Pork, paprika/mustard powder... rub with Roasted Chili/Pepita Salsa.
Chicken (Boneless Thigh), soy marinate and glaze with Sesame/Lemon Zest Sprinkle.
Lamb, Cumin/Chili Rub with Lemon/Garlic Yogurt.
Beef, Coconut milk marinate with Peanut/Chili Oil

dave

midwayfair

Homemade pasta (from scratch) since I picked up some semolina from the Italian grocer. Sooooo many eggs. I made ravioli the first night with this for a filling:

1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 cup minced onions
1/2 pound mushrooms
1 cup spinach
Salt, pepper, and fennel

Brown the onions, mushrooms, and almons in a pan until the mushrooms are nice and carmelized, then puree in a food processor with the spinach.

It was really good and certainly not something I'd be able to grab off a shelf.

I still have a ton of dough left over, so I've been making pasta the last couple days. This was yesterday's, basically oil, garlic, and pepper except I added mushrooms and cheese like a heathen.

No idea why the picture's upside down ...

matmosphere

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 16, 2016, 04:25:23 PM
I'm certainly no Dave, but this was a tasty stir-fry.

I'd be more then pleased with that stir fry Matthew! And a cool bowl to boot. Nicely done!

Recently picked up a propane burner so i could can tomatoes outside with it intead of turning the kitchen into a sauna. Have done maybe half a dozen stir fries with it including tonight. 60,000 BTU, things are done in a flash, great fun!

dave

neandrewthal

Quote from: diablochris6 on June 23, 2016, 12:54:38 PM
For the rum sauce, add 2 cups of dark rum

:o I hope you live in the states, or a country with cheap local rum. That would be at least $18 worth of rum for me.

matmosphere

midwayfair

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 16, 2016, 04:25:23 PM
I'm certainly no Dave, but this was a tasty stir-fry.

Your tofu looks perfect :)

Now I'm sad there's none in my fridge.