News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

A few things from over the summer.

Did these for a few thread on another forum. Three variations of Nicoise Salad which is a base of greens topped with fish, green beans, olives, hard boiled eggs, boiled potatoes and a vinaigrette.

Version One is how we've always put it together in the past. for fish uses canned in oil tuna and a can of anchovies, potatoes are fingerlings.

Version Two, Grilled Filet of Red Snapper and Mini Purple Potatoes

Version Three, Grilled Tuna Steak and grilled Mini Yellow fleshed Potatoes

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Some other summer odds and ends.

Cataplana which is a Portuguese fish stew named after the pot it's cooked in.

Grilled the shrimp seperately.

A package of tortilla contains a lot of potential tacos so played about with that food form too often.

Variations with leftover flank steak

Grilled Red Snapper

First stab at a fish taco

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

This past week.

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

Fresh Pasta Sauce & big funky tubes.

Vegetable/Tofu Stir Fry

Tonight, Farro with grilled chicken, rapini, arugula, pesto, balsamic glaze...

dave

chromesphere

Clicking on this thread and looking at daves food around lunch time...seems i just dont learn!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

mmlee

A few things from the last week

Bibimbap with a Miso soup; Chinese meal: tomato & egg stir fry, mixed mushrooms and asparagus, tofu and spinach soup, chicken wings; wontons; veg sushi; veg summer rolls

Marcus
>Marcus

davent

Looks terrific Marcus!

I'm heating leftovers, i'm not a fan...

dave

mmlee

Thank you, obviously your stuff looks impeccable as always.  I've just moved house so it's been nice this week to be able to cook some decent food after weeks of rummaging around boxes.

I'm pretty damn jealous of your butane burner, I'm Chinese and it just looks perfect for asian food, our new house currently has an electric ceramic hob, my wok is feeling pretty neglected right now :(

Marcus

>Marcus

playpunk

oh my. dave i'm too hungry for this.

last night we had chopped gyro salad from smitten kitchen

https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/05/chicken-gyro-salad/

It was awesome, and it has all been consumed, and I'm so sad about it.

My wife does all the cooking, as she's home with the chilluns right now, and I'm a fatter and happier guy for it.

"my legend grows" - playpunk

davent

Quote from: mmlee on September 29, 2016, 01:40:25 PM
Thank you, obviously your stuff looks impeccable as always.  I've just moved house so it's been nice this week to be able to cook some decent food after weeks of rummaging around boxes.

I'm pretty damn jealous of your butane burner, I'm Chinese and it just looks perfect for asian food, our new house currently has an electric ceramic hob, my wok is feeling pretty neglected right now :(

Marcus

Thanks Marcus and Andrew!

Marcus your stuff looks great, i've done well if i get one dish together properly where you're turning out multiple dishes per meal involving lots of involved prep. I'd be overwhelmed.

I use the wok at least three times i week so i can understand your frustration at not having it available.

The burner is my daughter's boyfriend's. They'd just returned from camping and that stove was perfect for the Cataplana's round base.

Since then we picked a beast of a propane burner to use for canning tomatoes and pickles outside in the yard as well as stir frying. Was coming home from the market on the bus the other day and a woman got on struggling to haul her bundle buggy with her. She had one of these burners in the bottom, about 12kg for the burner then she had other stuff piled on top.

60,000 btu so blazing hot compared to the electric stove i've always used with the wok. Very pleased with it so far, getting the hang of all that fire power. (And not too much money to purchase!)

dave

davent

Black Truffle Ciabatta with the fixin's. Backyard tomato production has been brutal this year like i've never seen. Last  year we canned close to four dozen jars of tomato chunks or sauce. This year not one, we had to buy a bushel for processing. So today is only the second time this year we've had a burger worthy tomato this year.

We keep buying this one as it's gone well with everything we paired it with.

dave

davent

Had to cook again... moving back indoors, feels like summer  might be over.

Spiced, Roasted Root Vegetable Tacos, Tomatillo Salsa, Lime/Cilantro Yogurt and Mexi-Can Beans.

Cubed Yukon Gold potatoes, parsnip, turnip and sweet potato coated with evoo, toasted cumin/coriander seeds, chili powder and paprika, oven roasted.

Tomatillo Salsa, charred tomatillos & unripe Hot Portugal peppers, garlic, onion and cilantro blender blitzed.

Lime juice, chopped cilantro and Greek yogurt dressing.

Pot of Mexi-Can Beans with feta

Maple Syrup Flan with Pomegranate

Royal City Brewing Co., Squash Sweet Potato Autumn Ale

Wilco, What's Your 20?

dave

davent

Chipotle Chakchouka on orzo/brown rice pilaf with lamb sausage and mesclun salad.

dave

alanp

Does this thread make people other than me also feel like massively lazy buggers?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

A big reason i do it is because there's someone else (or more ) to cook for, it  earns my keep. When no one else is around meals are pretty stripped back, there's not much motivation and there's no one to help with the dishes which i really hate washing.

Like everything else i get obsessed, go gung ho for a while burn out, leave it then come back to it later on down the road.

dave

Aristatertotle

This is the only thread my wife is interested in when I show her something from the forum.

That Chakchouka looks delicious!