News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

We haven't seen Dave post in this thread in a long time.  I hope he didn't eat anything that didn't agree with him.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

somnif

I'd try the recipe, but no idea where I'd find malt biscuits here. They appear to be somewhat ridiculously priced to import via amazon. Hrm....

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on December 10, 2017, 07:57:52 PM
We haven't seen Dave post in this thread in a long time.  I hope he didn't eat anything that didn't agree with him.

Well, he lives in Canada, where the growing season is two weeks in the summer. He's probably in hibernation now, and just didn't want to show us the salmon carcasses that made up most of his recent caloric intake.

... wait ... Has anyone seen a picture of Dave?

alanp

http://edmondscooking.co.nz/recipes/fritters/mock-whitebait-patties/

Another great Kiwi recipe -- Mock Whitebait Fritters.

It doesn't actually CONTAIN any whitebait, or taste hugely OF whitebait. But remember, you don't need to faff around with actually catching whitebait.

When cooking this, you don't need to boil the potato or anything, just clean, peel, and then grate the raw potato. It would probably pay to put it in a clean teatowel after grating and squeeze the liquid out, though, or you'll have very runny fritters!

Goes great with tomato sauce.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on December 11, 2017, 07:13:54 AM

Well, he lives in Canada, where the growing season is two weeks in the summer. He's probably in hibernation now, and just didn't want to show us the salmon carcasses that made up most of his recent caloric intake.

... wait ... Has anyone seen a picture of Dave?

I'm just seeing these today, all's well, i still haven't recovered from Photobucket and picked another hosting site. Still cooking and almost ate something that didn't agree with me but thought better and passed.

Made a meatloaf this month that went over well with the others, i cut into and knew immediately i wasn't going to eat it. I've always hated meatloaf and it's been maybe a couple decades since i last ate any so thought it was time to revisit, people change, it appears meatloaf doesn't, totally vile. My wife ate a thin  piece, my daughter a thin piece, her boyfriend the rest of the first half of it. He took the other half home and ate it, maybe shared some with his parents, i didn't ask.

When i was mixing it up, seasoning, i was frying up bits of the mix so it tasted good before i panned it and baked it and it did. Form it into something, forget it, meatloaf, meat balls, i'll pass on sausages, hamburgers can be wonderful with enough helpers to disguise the meat texture.

I didn't take pictures of the finished product,  quoting my daughter's boyfriend, "Your dad looks so disgusted!", cracked me up.

Well Happy New Years guys!
dave

Here's a thread i post in on another site that hosts the pictures. The thread's for 2018 to date.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/whats-cooking-2018.535068/#post-9424973

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

stringsthings

Have y'all seen this? ( North America only for now, sorry overseas peeps )

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/diet-coke-relaunch

I tried the mango flavor and it's surprisingly good.
All You Need Is Love

alanp

Not bad at all :)

Surprising how much water comes out of grated potato, though.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

My brother cooked "blins" today, after watching the Life of Boris youtube channel. They're Russian pancakes, basically.

Considering he's never cooked before in his LIFE (and he's over twenty), they turned out surprisingly well. He didn't stir the mix well enough (there were still lumps), and he needed some tips on how to cook them in the pan (more oil, and don't try and do pan-filling ones if you're just starting out and using a crappy spatula), but they were not too bad.

I might try my hand at making "pelmen" next weekend.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

The pelmeni turned out amazing, especially with some sour cream. And they store very, very well in the freezer -- you can make a heap of them and freeze 'em down, and just take some out as you want 'em, bung 'em in boiling water for ten minutes, and there's your tea done.

I ran out the other day (worked my way through the bagful I made a couple weeks ago), so I tried buying some dumplings from the supermarket.

Hoisin Pork and Cabbage dumplings taste utterly revolting. Horrible. I'm not sure I even want to give away the ones I haven't cooked yet, I couldn't do that to some innocent soul.

I need to make more pelmeni.

- Terry Pratchett
My website

davent

Been using 'postimage' at diystompboxes a bit so put a few of the new meals from the past two weeks up onto postimage, we'll see.

Last night was Roast Kale, cannellini bean, chorizo, tomato...
Pink pasta, smoked salmon sauce over fresh taglierini...
Blade steak, low and slow in the oven then seared on a screaming hot chimney. With mixed mushroom risotto, wasabi/horseradish sauce...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

I'll say again, Russian Pelmeni are amazing. I really, really need to do another big batch. And if anyone had any tips on rolling and folding big batches, I would really appreciate it :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

davent

Did this afew times in the dark with  snow on the ground, much more pleasant when you can see what you're doing.

Searing a blade steak on a chimney, edamame/corn succotash with garlic/lemon/evoo smashed mini potatoes potatoes.

First garden rhubarb pie of the season.

'''''''''''''''

'''''''''''''''

'''''''''''''''
dave

davent

Still cooking but pedals have fallen by the wayside for the time being. Still check in a couple times  per day.

Chicken tacos. from a couple weeks ago. Doing pork tacos tonight...

Stromboli & chef's salad.

Fennel, sausage pizza & anchovie marinara

Pork belly and beluga lentils.

dave

matmosphere

I had been wondering what Dave has been eating.

Building has fallen off for me as well. Hopefully I can get back to it in a month or two. Haven't touched my Iron since November.

EBK

I know that if I eat too much food, my pants will feel tighter.  Here I am just looking at food and experiencing the same thing--- yikes!  :o  I just figured out why!  :-[  :-[  :-[  :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber