News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Been into baking lately. Tonight we had tacos with homemade flour tortillas. They tasted great.

Also been experimenting with homemade pita bread. It's way easier than I thought it would be and it is crazy satisfying to watch them puff up in the oven.

matmosphere

A week or two ago we were all missing home so I was looking for some type of iconic American food to make for diner, thinking maybe it would help.

I found a recipe that said it was just like Pizza Hut pan pizza, something we never actually eat, but thought it fit the bill nicely. The dough had to rise in the fridge for a full twenty-four hours, so it took a little planning, but I got there. The result? Well it looked right and it tasted just like I remembered it tasting, and sometime in that first bit I remembered why it's been so long since we've had it.

I think having a cast iron pan would've helped a little, but it was really close to the original.

It was a fun adventure either way, and I think at least the kids enjoyed it a bit. Also let us mix up pizza night a bit.

somnif

Local Whole Woods was clearancing out San Marzano tomatoes (normally 6$ a can, down to 2$, woo  ;D).

Now I just need to decide what to make with them. Trying to decide if I'm in a Chicken Parmesan mood, or a Spaghetti and Meatballs mood...

midwayfair

matmosphere

Have you joined the ranks of vegetarians by chance Jon?

midwayfair

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 27, 2019, 10:06:45 AM

For about the last ... 5 or 6 years?

We're not completely vegetarian. I'll eat some hunted meat once in a while (like maybe once or twice a year we'll end up with some deer, goose, or squirrel) and ethically caught fish, but I don't buy store-bought meat and basically never order a meat dish in a restaurant.

matmosphere

Quote from: midwayfair on October 27, 2019, 10:56:50 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on October 27, 2019, 10:06:45 AM

For about the last ... 5 or 6 years?

We're not completely vegetarian. I'll eat some hunted meat once in a while (like maybe once or twice a year we'll end up with some deer, goose, or squirrel) and ethically caught fish, but I don't buy store-bought meat and basically never order a meat dish in a restaurant.

Ah, that's cool.  I just thought I remembered you postering meat dishes earlier in the thread. Although I don't know how long Ago this thread started.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Distraction and more distraction, gotta eat... looking for something to do my daughter decided to try making bagels yesterday. 'Everything' bagels in production, today's lunch with mortadella... She did great, a natural!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Very very cool. She did well indeed. I have not made those yet. I love to bake, most recently I bought myself a bread maker. Been fun so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

The farm family i buy most of my local stuff from at the market has had a stand going back into the 1800's but under the current circumstances and for the time being aren't set up at the market. Last week they started a one size fits all 'local veggie box' delivery service. Tonight from my box a butternut squash, onions, carrots and jalapenos for a curried squash soup.

Turns out there was no chicken stock in the freezer but there was a container of milk that had been infused with celeriac... why not?

No half and half cream on hand but a tub of sour cream and a bag of milk, yes our milk is sold in bags going back decades... diy half and half...

Also used ginger, curry powder, yellow curry paste, topped with the jalapeno, cilantro, Aleppo pepper and more sour cream... happy taste buds even if i'm no fan of squash!

Stay well, finish your soup or you won't get dessert, the end of last summer's wild blueberries...

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Quick one tonight, Tibetan Curried Noodles. Used flank steak, ramen noodles, cabbage, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, sambal oelek, Maggi, chives...

Stay well, cook to distraction...
dave

davent

Tuesday night quickie, the other half of the flank steak, 15 minute marinate in yellow miso, Maggi, sambal oelek, toasted sesame oil, ginger, garlic, sugar, few minutes per side in a pretty hot pan, basmati and steamed edamame & corn. A couple teaspoons of the marinate were set aside before marinating the steak, mixed with rice vinegar and oil to drizzle over the cooked steak. Backyard chives, all we have so far and we've been having snow flurries all day.

Take care all!
dave

midwayfair

Vegetarian fire noodles!

First we make some knife-cut noodles. They're often alkaline noodles, but it turns out that it's best to bake the baking soda ahead of time to raise the PH. The dough was super hard to work with and I didn't even attempt to roll them out with a rolling pin (I used my hand-cranked pasta maker, though).

Nevertheless they did turn a little bit yellow during cooking.

Toppings: minced and crispy-fried mushrooms in place of the more traditional pork, scallions, sichuan peppercorns, peanuts, sesame seeds, chili oil, chili crisp (the dark red stuff in the middle), and a little bit of soy sauce and black vinegar.

Like basically everything involving homemade chili oil, I would probably eat this continuously until I physically explode, so it's probably a good thing that it was sort of labor intensive for a "fast" meal.

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on April 22, 2020, 11:46:17 AM
Vegetarian fire noodles!

First we make some knife-cut noodles. They're often alkaline noodles, but it turns out that it's best to bake the baking soda ahead of time to raise the PH. The dough was super hard to work with and I didn't even attempt to roll them out with a rolling pin (I used my hand-cranked pasta maker, though).

Nevertheless they did turn a little bit yellow during cooking.

Toppings: minced and crispy-fried mushrooms in place of the more traditional pork, scallions, sichuan peppercorns, peanuts, sesame seeds, chili oil, chili crisp (the dark red stuff in the middle), and a little bit of soy sauce and black vinegar.

Like basically everything involving homemade chili oil, I would probably eat this continuously until I physically explode, so it's probably a good thing that it was sort of labor intensive for a "fast" meal.

Weird things happening here Jon, in your post i only see your first picture three times, when i quote your post i get the three different pictures, looks delicious.
dave

Edit, your original post now shows the three different images.