News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

The basics for anytime of day, clean out the fridge tomorrows market day.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Mac 'n cheese with flavour bombs, Shropshire Blue cheese is killer, chunks scattered throughout before baking, sourdough bread crumbs, parm and Aleppo pepper. Shallow dish to up the crunchy cheesy top - to- creamy cheesy inners ratio.

Tonight's farmstand delivery, while we were having after dinner coffee, time to start meal planning.

Take care all!
dave
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

somnif

Making chicken soup tonight. De-boned my freezer yesterday (the carcasses of a couple rotisserie chickens), baked a few leg quarters and saved those bones as well. Tossed in the InstantPot for a couple hours with some random veg and herbs. Strain out the chunks and let it sit long enough for the fat to rise to the top. (or stick it in the fridge until you want to use it)

Tonight, fry up some onion and garlic until just starting to color, add a few stalks of celery, a couple carrots, and a potato or two. Add a quart of stock and simmer until the veggies are tender (along with any additional herbs/spice if you wish). Toss in a couple handfuls of egg noodles (because I have them on hand and may as well use them) along with the saved meat, and let it simmer until the noodles are done. Consume as needed.

davent

Burger night and i despise the texture of reformed ground meats, patties, sausage, meatballs, meatloaf is the worst of the lot absolutely abhorred.

'Superiority Burger' recipe is a great vegetarian patty we've made a few times and have no reason to not keep going back to.

Shropshire blue dressing, diy dills, hydroponic tomatoes that came in yesterday surprise box, bibb lettuce, sweet relish, ballpark mustard, toasted buttered bun... forgot onions, out of practice, Miss Vickie's Jalapeno chips & a local crafter.

dave

chromesphere

Awesome food as always Dave!
I bought a Weber Smoking Mountain last week on a whim.  Warning, total meat smoking noob here.  Never even tried it before. 
First attempt was barely a pass (top side roast).  The smokey flavour was way too intense, slightly bitter and ashy.  Also the cut of meat may not have been the best choice.
2nd attempt was much better (chicken), really nice.
Just as an idea, we used some of the left over smoked chicken in a chicken soup the following night.  Wow.  The smoke flavour mellowed out and created this deep flavour to the soup thats a little difficult for me to describe.  Combined with small pockets of the original smokey flavour when you eat pieces of the chicken.  A winning combination!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

midwayfair

Quote from: davent on April 26, 2020, 06:41:29 PM
'Superiority Burger' recipe is a great vegetarian patty we've made a few times and have no reason to not keep going back to.

Share.

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on April 28, 2020, 10:23:10 AM
Quote from: davent on April 26, 2020, 06:41:29 PM

Share.

Superiority Burger is a restaurant in NYC, came across thier cookbook in the neighbourhood library. The burgers and their 'crunchy potatoes' recipes are excellent make the potatoes all time but we use duck fat. Only tried those two recipes and potato variations while we had the book home.

The extra patties we've frozen and used later and they cooked up fine, just as good. Only two of us around right now so we mix up a half recipe.

Washington Post to the rescue, it is an involved prep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/superiority-burger/16450/
dave

matmosphere

Interesting, Thanks for sharing Dave.

Have you ever tried making up a bunch and freezing them for future use? Wondering how it would work out. I have a different veggie burger recipe that I do that with and it works out nicely.

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 28, 2020, 02:47:43 PM
Interesting, Thanks for sharing Dave.

Have you ever tried making up a bunch and freezing them for future use? Wondering how it would work out. I have a different veggie burger recipe that I do that with and it works out nicely.

We've tried it the one time and after cooking it was maybe a little more delicate then ones not having been frozen. The ones pictured above were the ones from the freezer, no complaints. We've tried a lot of different veggie patty recipes from various sources over the years and this is the only one we've even thought was worth making again.

dave

davent

Quote from: chromesphere on April 27, 2020, 07:21:38 PM
Awesome food as always Dave!
I bought a Weber Smoking Mountain last week on a whim.  Warning, total meat smoking noob here.  Never even tried it before. 
First attempt was barely a pass (top side roast).  The smokey flavour was way too intense, slightly bitter and ashy.  Also the cut of meat may not have been the best choice.
2nd attempt was much better (chicken), really nice.
Just as an idea, we used some of the left over smoked chicken in a chicken soup the following night.  Wow.  The smoke flavour mellowed out and created this deep flavour to the soup thats a little difficult for me to describe.  Combined with small pockets of the original smokey flavour when you eat pieces of the chicken.  A winning combination!

Those both look really good Paul. And, as i think you discovered the real value in them is what you use them for next. The soup sounds terrific. I have vegetable stir fries three night a week and if there's some leftover protein, like what you'v e smoked, in the fridge, some has to go into the stir fry kicks it up to another level all together.

Do you have local woods you're able to get/use or does someone like Weber only market N. American woods like hickory, mesquite, alder ...
dave

davent

Two egg pasta is just right for the three of us. Using Michael weight ratio of eggs/flour, 2/3 - two large egg contents 100g so flour is 150g. Used a mix of 100g '00' + 50g semolina which worked very well. Divide the dough into four pieces to run through the rollers, perfect size to easily manipulate.

Sauce a jar of 2019 garden tomato chunks, chopped onion/garlic/celery, chili flakes, from the freezer a 200g wad of a mix of ground veal/pork, ground anise, ground fennel more chili flakes & honey. Makes for a very fast sauce always on hand.

Take care, stay well!
dave

davent

More eggs... and maple syrup. A recipe from Moosewood restaurant, Creme Caramel - Maple Flan

Sweet tooth satisfaction
dave

davent

A quick to throw together soup from one our Moosewood cookbook collection, Blue Cream o Celery Soup, loads of Danish blue cheese. Base of milk, cream cheese and the blue cheese. Topped with more blue and crispy celeriac. Always a celery in our farm box delivery, looking for ways o use them up.

Nice fresh sourdough for sopping.

dave

davent

The weekend.

Saturday, grilled striploin , Danish blue cheese butter, crispy duck fat potatoes, charred Brussels sprouts with garlic, chili flakes and anchovies.

Sunday, Five spice plus slow roasted pork shoulder, crispy sauteed kale with more garlic and chili flakes, celeriac/potato mash flavoured with olive oil, lemon, chives.

Hang in there, stay well!
dave

somnif

Made another batch of chicken soup tonight. It's not as pretty as most of the stuff in this thread, but it's cheap and filling  ;D

Also, the leftovers always make me giggle a bit, as there is so much gelatin in it the stuff sets up solid. Rather than ladling up a portion, you need to cut a cube out of the dish and it jiggles delightfully.