News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: somnif on May 03, 2020, 10:30:53 PM
Made another batch of chicken soup tonight. It's not as pretty as most of the stuff in this thread, but it's cheap and filling  ;D

Also, the leftovers always make me giggle a bit, as there is so much gelatin in it the stuff sets up solid. Rather than ladling up a portion, you need to cut a cube out of the dish and it jiggles delightfully.

Nice chicken soup! One of those foods that goes great any time of year.
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Plan for the weekends celeriac/potato mash was to make enough for leftovers to try out a twisted take on colcannon.

Sauteed quartered Brussl's sprouts, mixed in the leftover mash which was already flavoured olive oil and lemon juice. Made patties with the glop and fried them up, real happy with the results.

As well leftover five spice pork from the weekend.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Scruffie

Quote from: davent on April 28, 2020, 10:43:10 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on April 28, 2020, 10:23:10 AM
Quote from: davent on April 26, 2020, 06:41:29 PM
'Superiority Burger' recipe is a great vegetarian patty we've made a few times and have no reason to not keep going back to.

Share.

Superiority Burger is a restaurant in NYC, came across thier cookbook in the neighbourhood library. The burgers and their 'crunchy potatoes' recipes are excellent make the potatoes all time but we use duck fat. Only tried those two recipes and potato variations while we had the book home.

The extra patties we've frozen and used later and they cooked up fine, just as good. Only two of us around right now so we mix up a half recipe.

Washington Post to the rescue, it is an involved prep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/superiority-burger/16450/
dave
Tried this out, the texture was good and it held together nicely but apart from that, was quite disappointed in the flavour for a veggie burger, especially for the amount of work involved. Not unpleasant but seems like it could do with some tweaking for a bit more depth and a bit less work... and fennel.
Works at Lectric-FX

davent

Quote from: Scruffie on May 08, 2020, 12:44:54 PM
Quote from: davent on April 28, 2020, 10:43:10 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on April 28, 2020, 10:23:10 AM
Quote from: davent on April 26, 2020, 06:41:29 PM
'Superiority Burger' recipe is a great vegetarian patty we've made a few times and have no reason to not keep going back to.

Share.

Superiority Burger is a restaurant in NYC, came across thier cookbook in the neighbourhood library. The burgers and their 'crunchy potatoes' recipes are excellent make the potatoes all time but we use duck fat. Only tried those two recipes and potato variations while we had the book home.

The extra patties we've frozen and used later and they cooked up fine, just as good. Only two of us around right now so we mix up a half recipe.

Washington Post to the rescue, it is an involved prep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/superiority-burger/16450/
dave
Tried this out, the texture was good and it held together nicely but apart from that, was quite disappointed in the flavour for a veggie burger, especially for the amount of work involved. Not unpleasant but seems like it could do with some tweaking for a bit more depth and a bit less work... and fennel.

That's too bad, much work to get there. My wife's the same with fennel where i want more, i often add tweak notes to the recipes we try so when we maybe get back to them i can pick up where i left off.

Here's to making it into your Superiority burger, maybe this is a good starting point, who's to say?
Take care!
dave

Scruffie

There's definitely potential (not too stodgy which I was worried about) and it went down well with some condiments, I was just hoping for a bit more. But it is possible I've been spoilt by being a 15 year veggie living in the UK, a bit more choice over here than the US I think.

If I do it again, I'll try skipping roasting the carrots and cook them grated with the onions to streamline it a bit and add in some nutritional yeast at the end for more depth.

I suspect a nice Asian variation could also be done with soy beans, corriander, cashews, sweet chilli sauce and spring onions.

I like Fennel (& Tarragon) but aniseed flavours quickly overtake everything for me so they've got to be subtle. I know some people hate the stuff though.

You take care too!
Works at Lectric-FX

davent

Thursday there was local asparagus at the market, yesterday and today we had snow, the world is upside down.

Chicken thighs cooked in a chili sauce, basically morita & arbol chilies blitzed in orange juice with garlic and spices, asparagus slaw - tacos.

Box of goodies from the farmer i usual buy from at the market, closed down at the market but doing home deliveries of a standard box.

Stay well.
dave

matmosphere

Been messing around with sourdough starter for about 6 months now. Made some good bread. the last loafs were particularly pleasing to the eye and tasted great. This pic is of the two before that, decent but not quite as good.

I just made a sourdough coffee cake.  It looks like a pile of brown stuff. However it is one of the tastiest things I've ever made.

davent

That all looks really good!

Never messed around with sourdough before, i think i'd have a ough time remembering to maintain the starter, i'd need to start over every time i needed bread.
dave

davent

Sunday night pizzas. Made the dough Friday and kept it in the fridge until yesterday afternoon.

A puttanesca with last summer's backyard tomato sauce, capers, kalimata olives, fresh garlic, red onion, anchovies, fresh mozzarella, chili flakes, oregano and parmesan.

Other is more of the tomato sauce, pickles hot peppers and hot Hungarian sausage from the farmer's market, dried mozzarella, this has been our favourite combination for years.

Take care!
dave

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on May 11, 2020, 05:08:53 PM

Never messed around with sourdough before, i think i'd have a ough time remembering to maintain the starter, i'd need to start over every time i needed bread.
dave

I keep it in the fridge. It only needs to be fed once a week, so I just feed it when I use it. I suppose if you only made bread every few weeks it might be an issue. If you have a sourdough starter you would probably make it more often than that though, because it's so yummy.

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 11, 2020, 05:22:00 PM
Quote from: davent on May 11, 2020, 05:08:53 PM

dave

I keep it in the fridge. It only needs to be fed once a week, so I just feed it when I use it. I suppose if you only made bread every few weeks it might be an issue. If you have a sourdough starter you would probably make it more often than that though, because it's so yummy.

We're pretty much at the end of using-the-kitchen-oven season although i've baked bread on the bbq, a sourdough starter would soon be forgotten and neglected.

Asparagus harder to get this week, very cool, as in snow, weather has really slowed things down and a lack of seasonal out of country workers are leading to predicted shortages  for this year.

Poached egg, steamed asparagus, Schinkenspeck,  garlic sourdough croutons, aged Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Take care,
dave

davent

The weekend... first backyard rhubarb of the year, some for pie some for the freezer. Still had a bag of raspberries and blackberries in the freezer, Greek yogurt topping. My wife's handy work.

Duck fat potatoes, butter/carawayseed/mustardseed roasted cabbage with aged gouda, hickory smoked bourbon brined pork tenderloin.

Grilled striploin with wasabi/horseradish sauce, barley/black rice salad with butter roasted butternut squash, double smoked bacon, dandelions and bacon fat vinaigrette.

Stay well!
dave

alanp

Dave, another good one for rhubarb is to make apple crumble, but instead of apples, use either rhubarb, or a mixture of apple and rhubarb.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

Quote from: alanp on May 17, 2020, 10:14:31 PM
Dave, another good one for rhubarb is to make apple crumble, but instead of apples, use either rhubarb, or a mixture of apple and rhubarb.
Have you tried strawberries & rhubarb crumble? I'm not even a huge fan of the barb and quite enjoy that.
Works at Lectric-FX

davent

I don't eat strawberries, can't remember the last time i voluntarily ate one, what they sell for strawberries these days are all show no taste. Even tried growing my own, no better ripped them out. Mt wife & daughter still enjoy them to my bewilderment.

Years ago had an incredible strawberry milk shake at a road side stop while travelling through northern Mexico so there is good out there someplace but not around here.

Rhubarb and raspberry sourced from the yard make for my favourite 'fruit' pie (rhubarbs a vegetable...), mindblowing flavours. Our rhubarb's primarily used for pies but yup, sometimes a crumble, a sauce to mix with plain yogurt, a bed to roast pork on, this coming weekend rhubarb sour - rhubarb syrup, gin, lemon juice, lemon peel and nutmeg.

First harvest last weekend made for one pie and a bag ready for pies into the freezer.

Nine raspberry canes i ordered in January arrived yesterday, 3 red, 3 black & 3 yellow to be planted very soon.
dave