News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Grilled Halibut tacos. Sauce/marinate from Morita & Guajillo dried chiles, Achiote paste, orange & limes juices, garlic and salt. Pineapple salsa, red onion, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and some un-named fire-bomb chilli from the 50¢ bin.

Way overpowering combo for fish so the plan now is to try the leftover sauce with beef on the weekend, fingers crossed i can get flank or skirt steak at the farmer's market Thursday.

A day in the life take care.dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Been a couple weeks of fall-like weather, arrived like bomb, no transition. Time to dust of the comfort food ideas, to that end my wife made a five cheese mac n' cheese using odds and sods from the fridge plus a chunk of Shropshire i picked up at the market this morning. Enough fontina/provolone/Muenster pieces for a roux, the Shropshire gets distributed as random chunks while filling the baking dish. Topping of crushed Triscuits, Parmesan & Aleppo pepper.

Great having the neighbourhood library open again, major cookbook section to browse and borrow.

Take care.dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Thanks Alan! The random Shropshire blue cheese bombs kick it to a new level of goodness.
dave

davent

Getting the hang of this, consistent results, Paella on a propane burner. Bomba rice, shrimp,  hot Hungarian sausage, tomatoes, garlic & Romano beans from the yard, fresh shucked sweet corn, morita & arbol chili, pepitas, cilantro, onions...

...and my wife made our first apple pie with local 2020 apples, tried Ginger Golds which she'd never used before, pretty nice taste but don't hold up to baking the way Northern Spy do and those are not available yet.

Stay well!dave

davent

Sunday Tacos

Used the leftover Morita/Guajillo/Achiote sauce from last weekend to marinate some skirt steak  fo 24 hours then grilled it for tacos, this time winner. Compliments the beef where it completely overpowered the fish. (Didn't use all the steak for tacos so i could have some for my vegetable stir fry tonight, excellent.)

Kohlrobi/carrot/onion/Habanada pepper slaw and salsa fresca from the garden, a mix of small tomato vatieties, grilled yellow Biquinho peppers and more onions, cilantro. Dressing of lime & orange juice, honey & olive oil. Remains of the slaw and salsa combined for a tasty salad to cap things off. Side of grilled Shishito peppers.

Take care.dave

Bret608

Those tacos look great! And the salsa is definitely the kind of thing we put together when the garden is in full swing. That achiote paste rub you did would work great on pork as well--you'd have the tacos al pastor thing going with that pineapple salsa!

We did our annual apple picking a couple of weeks ago, but alas there were no Northern Spy or similar this year. Seemed like lots of Gala and Golden Delicious. I'm guessing we went a bit early...Wisconsin is still relatively warm right now.

matmosphere

Made the Superiority Burger someone had recommended a few times now. Having a hard time getting it to all stay together but they are pretty tasty. I think I need to figure out how to cook the quinoa correctly.

I did tweak it a little bit the second time to make it a little less fussy I sautéed the carrots with the onions instead of doing them in the oven.

Probably the best home made veggie burgers I have done so far.

davent

Quote from: Bret608 on September 24, 2020, 06:23:33 AM
Those tacos look great! And the salsa is definitely the kind of thing we put together when the garden is in full swing. That achiote paste rub you did would work great on pork as well--you'd have the tacos al pastor thing going with that pineapple salsa!

We did our annual apple picking a couple of weeks ago, but alas there were no Northern Spy or similar this year. Seemed like lots of Gala and Golden Delicious. I'm guessing we went a bit early...Wisconsin is still relatively warm right now.

Thanks! Pork will be our next go 'round with that sauce, the pineapple would really compliment the pork as well, way too  assertive for the fish to stand up to.

No Spy's here yet at my Thursday morning market. Friday afternoon which has a neighbourhood market had our first Honey Crisps last week and for while now Ginger Gold, if i'm lucky maybe Spys tomorrow. Last chance another market Saturday i need to visit. Otherwise the Ginger Gold for another pie.

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 24, 2020, 01:36:41 PM
Made the Superiority Burger someone had recommended a few times now. Having a hard time getting it to all stay together but they are pretty tasty. I think I need to figure out how to cook the quinoa correctly.

I did tweak it a little bit the second time to make it a little less fussy I sautéed the carrots with the onions instead of doing them in the oven.

Probably the best home made veggie burgers I have done so far.

Get my vote for the best home made veggie burger as well. When we did them the fresh ones held up fine, we froze half the recipe and those weren't quite as durable but still pretty fine.

We hadn't grilled meat bugers in a couple years and made up for it this summer, so little prep work to prep a pattie, almost make themselves. I'd forgotten how good they can taste.
dave

davent

Saturday catch up... Tuesday and Thursday based on a couple recipes from the Jamie Oliver book home from the library.

Tuesday was grilling up another piece of skirt steak, just olive oil, rosemary & salt , onions braised in Balsamic vinegar, i had Shropshire blue cheese on my piece my wife 12 year old cheddar on hers, dijon, Hellman's and arugula.

Thursday, shrimp sauce and fresh pasta. Sauce,  paste tomatoes grated and cooked with sauted onions,  garlic & celery, shrimp chunks, arbol chilie flakes, vermouth, pasta water. Topped with arugula, butterflied shrimp and Aleppo pepper.

Tuesday

Thursday

dave

davent

Tonight, grilled, cross cut short ribs that were marinated 24 hours in Maggi, Sambel Oelek, vinegar and honey. Grilled Shishito peppers dressed with toasted sesame oil & garlic/sesameseed salt. Salad of  fingerling potatoes from the farmers market, oven roasted, from 'the yard', spicy greens, green beans, cherry tomatoes, vinaigrette of cider vinegar, olive oil, minced white onion, fresh tarragon and salt. Have become completely enamoured with those grilled peppers, so simple so good.

This one went over well.

Be safe.dave

davent

A step up in our pizza quest, initial bake in the gas bbq with pizzaa stones, this time 45 minutes on full got me to 570F/299C. Baked for five minutes then used the oven broiler fo finish the tops and bring out the colour. I'd say our best results so far.

Simple four ingredient dough, '00' flour, water, kosher salt & yeast, 70% hydration and a 24 hour rise.

#1 - Margherita extra, fresh uncooked tomato sauce, grated a few Amish paste tomatoes and strained off excess liquid, *excellent shot of tomato juice with some salt & hot sauce*, dried oregano, arbol chilie flakes, parm, buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil & a variety of cherry tomatoes from the yard, extra virgin olive oil, super flavourful.

#2 - Onion/balsamic jam, walnut pieces, Shropshire blue cheese with a drizzle of honey before serving. This was a completely new one and a keeper, so good.

Fresh squeezed lemonade, it's hot here again, Pecan butter tart from the neighbourhood bakery, Gogol Bordello to serenade... music has always been and will always be an important part of the cooking & eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYTyfQe-o8
Have a great week.dave

mjg

I'm going to have to try an onion, walnut and blue cheese pizza.  Looks tasty.

Hey Dave, the first asparagus spears of the season popped up in our garden last week.  "Must tell Dave" I thought to myself.  😀

davent

Quote from: mjg on September 28, 2020, 12:12:40 AM
I'm going to have to try an onion, walnut and blue cheese pizza.  Looks tasty.

Hey Dave, the first asparagus spears of the season popped up in our garden last week.  "Must tell Dave" I thought to myself.  😀

Oh wow, double lucky you, asparagus season is upon you and you have your own patch! Is the patch new or been around for awhile so you can get in there and harvest multiple times? Fresh as fresh can be, envious, it'll be June before we see local asparagus again.

However all is not lost just yet, the grower we buy sweet corn from figures he has a few more weeks of harvesting left, a couple more weeks of daily corn is pretty good,  then the last of my much anticipated local harvests, Brussel's Sprouts rolls in.

Local Honey Crisps arrived at the farmer's market a couple weekends ago and those are usually available well into the next summer, hooked on them and i'm about due my daily.

Fresh as i can get

That pizza combo was very very good, my wife's idea for the honey and it was a most welcome addition, delicious!
Take care!dave

mjg

Quote from: davent on September 28, 2020, 08:21:28 PM

Oh wow, double lucky you, asparagus season is upon you and you have your own patch! Is the patch new or been around for awhile so you can get in there and harvest multiple times? Fresh as fresh can be, envious, it'll be June before we see local asparagus again.

The patch has been in probably 15 years now, usually kicks off about now, and we will be picking a bunch every 3 days or so throughout spring.  It's a lot of asparagus.  Amazing how creative you can get sneaking it into every meal.  Some of a green variety called 'fat bastard' I think, and a purple one for something different.