News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Fall weather, fall soup, garden is still slowing ripening tomatoes, grilled tomato red lentil soup.

Grilled tomatoes and onion, red lentils, red curry paste, fresh ginger & garlic, toasted cumin & coriander, coconut milk, water, aleppo pepper, cilantro, buttered crusty ciabatta.

Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend, not a big deal, take care!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Saturday & Sunday, wife's first pumpkin pie of the season to cap things off, heavy on the whipped cream.

Saturday did a rotisserie chicken, stuffed with lemons and garlic, fresh rosemary and sage chopped and stuffed under the skin. Enough left for Butter Chicken later this week. Wynell's Pot Pie which is a favourite from one of the Moosewood books, loaded with vegetables and old cheddar. Brussel's sprouts browned in butter then braised in heavy cream.

Sunday, grilled a striploin, topped with blue cheese butter, grilled purple broccolini & Shisito peppers topped with ground toasted sesame seeds, granulated garlic, salt. Mini potatoes sauteed in duck fat.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

A week on, try again. Couple weeks ago bought a second charcoal grate for my 'kettle' so i could raise the fire up closer to the cooking grate. Last week wasn't happy with the results, tasted good but to me overcooked, even when taking temps things got away from me fast, screwed up.

Another striploin, thicker, and pulled from the grill earlier at a lower temp. Shishito peppers again, addicted, mixed up some Shichimi, Japanese seven spice, sprinkled on the charred peppers with a bit of lime juice and salt. My wife bought the last six corn for sale this year at the local farmer's market, been a great year for that. Smashed overcooked yellow potatoes crisped up in duck fat.

Last night my wife made big pot of fall, root vegetable soup, pretty much sauteed vegetables in melted cheddar cheese. Potatoes, carrots, parsnips, kohlrabi, radishes, onions, corn kernels, topped with bacon and Aleppo pepper. Chive batter bread loaded with sour cream to dunk, super rich delicious meal.

Stay well, here we go again...
dave

davent

Only tempeh recipe we've made more than once, tempeh fajitas, tried the recipe using beef and chicken in place of the tempeh and neither cut it.

Garden salsa fresca, still have tomatoes, peppers and green onions to spare, farmers parket fro cilantro and limes. Pepper/onion saute, peppers from the garden, Hot Portugal, Yellow Biquinho, Habanada, Tolli's Sweet Italian, farmer's market for Shishitos. Tempeh marinated in lime juice, Maggi, oil & Chipotle pepper powder. SOur cream &  gaucamole to top it off.

Baked tortillas with old white cheddar.

Have a good weekend, looks likewarm weather is done here as of today, take care!
dave

davent

Beat the night's frost and morning's snow and harvested what i needed beforehand.

Indigo Blue Berry tomatoes from one plant and anything left on all our other tomato plants. Peppers from six potted plants. Romano beans from plants i thought were supposed to be bush but were vines, ran crazy.

Garlic is what was left from July 2019 harvest, thought i'd try a planting a few see what they have left to give another year on.

Another month nearly gone... take care!
dave

davent

Putting some of the last harvest of the year to use, frost and snow has arrived, Indian summer up next.

Had a jar of tomato sauce in the fridge that hadn't sealed properly when we were canning, a few of those green Hot Portugal peppers, couple pieces of chorizo from the farmer's market, onion, garlic from our 2020 stash, Arbol chili flakes, ground cumin, feta, cilantro and eggs. Poached eggs and tomato sauce on sourdough/avocado toast, a Shakshuka variant based on what was on hand...

My wife put this together today while i was sniffing solder fumes... mustard crusted, roasted, pork tenderloin, Brussels sprouts browned in butter, braised in heavy cream, charred Shishito peppers with lime juice & Shichimi, some of the Romanos i harvested the other day, lightly steamed and finished with butter, salt and a sprinkle of the Shichimi. Spy apple pie for dessert topped with a high fat plain yogurt.

Plated mine took pictures, she plated hers, had to retake the pictures.

Stay well, take care!
dave

davent

Amazing weather here the last few days and another few to come, grill on.

Rosemary smoked chicken thighs, and stuck on crispy duck fat potatoes with backyard Romano beans, lightly steamed, butter, shichimi and lemon juice. Garden still putting out salad greens, green onions and carrots, have prefrost peppers and tomatoes to spare, all together great backyard salad with feta and balsamic vinaigrette.

Saturdays are good, take care.
dave

davent

Record setting week of warmth, probably last chance to grill pizza outside.

'00' dough in the fridge for 48 hours. Tomato sauce is grated Amish paste tomatoes that were picked green just before our first killer frost. Pickled yellow Biquinho peppers from the garden, peperoncini's from the store, spicy Hungarian sausage, fior' di latte mozzarella, arbol pepper, olive oil top one, the other's a marinara so just tomato sauce, arbol pepper flakes, dried oregano, parm, anchovies and olive oil, pretty rustic.

Crust came out nice and chewy.

The grill tops out at maybe 575F with the pizza stones, bake four five minute on the stones then finish under the oven broiler.

First pie with the summer's freezer stash of wild blueberry.

Have a great week.
dave

davent

After a week of crazy warm weather the last couple days have seen a return of seasonal appropriate weather, good time to put the oven back into use. Braised beef shank with crimini mushrooms, real baby carrots, all of which calls for a bed of polenta to pile it on. One good sized shank was enough for a picture and eventually three servings.

Garden carrots, didn't get many that grew beyond baby sized, garden garlic, planted next years crop this past week, 64 bulbs to be. Red wine, Maggi, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and water for the braising liquid.

Stay well, take care!
dave

rockola

Quote from: davent on November 07, 2020, 06:31:06 PM
Rosemary smoked chicken thighs
Did the rosemary also go in the smoker? Our smoker rarely sees meat, more likely fish and veggies. Baltic herring smoked with apple chips was a failed experiment though.

crispy duck fat potatoes
Duck fat potatoes are so good. Not very healthy, but delicious.

Brother-in-law called my wife the other day: "Do you guys want a moose calf liver?" Like, does a moose calf poop in the woods? (That one doesn't anymore though.) Trying to decide how to prepare it. The smoker is unfortunately out of reach at the cabin.

davent

Quote from: rockola on November 14, 2020, 09:59:24 PM
Quote from: davent on November 07, 2020, 06:31:06 PM
Rosemary smoked chicken thighs
Did the rosemary also go in the smoker? Our smoker rarely sees meat, more likely fish and veggies. Baltic herring smoked with apple chips was a failed experiment though.

crispy duck fat potatoes
Duck fat potatoes are so good. Not very healthy, but delicious.

Brother-in-law called my wife the other day: "Do you guys want a moose calf liver?" Like, does a moose calf poop in the woods? (That one doesn't anymore though.) Trying to decide how to prepare it. The smoker is unfortunately out of reach at the cabin.

For this one rosemary sprigs were laid in beside the coals so they would smolder and not burst into flames, air flow was restricted so it did get good and smoky. Maybe the rosemary we grow is lacking but the effect was very very subtle taste wise, or maybe didn't use enough, smelled great while smoking and the chicken was tasty and moist, will try again someday.

Liver of any description is a scary proposition, offal is just not part of the diet. Last we used were chicken livers in a meat sauce for lasagna, Anthony Bourdain recipe and it was really good, the liver was a very small part of the overall picture.

dave

davent

Vegetarian night, Mexican Home Fries, recipe from Mollie Katzen made many times over the years. Yellow potatoes, torn corn tortillas, tomatoes, peppers, black olives, onions, cumin, old sharp cheddar, cilantro, yogurt & Sriracha.

A bit of the last haul of tomatoes before frost hit ripening up nicely, that haul should get us well into December. A good mix of various cherry tomatoes.

Take care.
dave

dan.schumaker

Other than the olives, that looks delicious!  I might have to try that one of these nights!

davent

Quote from: dan.schumaker on November 18, 2020, 07:01:05 PM
Other than the olives, that looks delicious!  I might have to try that one of these nights!

Thanks Dan, it is really good,  something we've been going back to for years now. Couldn't find a copy of the recipe on line but did find a riff on Katzen's recipe from someone else. Basically she adds a few more spices (we'll keep in mind for next time) and orders things a bit different, we'll hold the tomatoes to the end to keep things on the crispier side, if things start to stick, more olive oil... a very good feed!

http://blogs.poughkeepsiejournal.com/dishnthat/2008/05/05/mexican-home-fries-perfect-for-cinco-de-mayo/
Take care and hope you give it a go.
dave

davent

Turkey Craw Bean Soup, coolest looking bean we've ever grown, coolest named bean we've ever grown. Cook up great, taste great and they keep their markings, vigorous and productive plants.

Kale, potatoes, onion, garlic, crispy garlic/kale, chorizo, bean cooking water, Aleppo pepper, use what you have...

Weekend's almost here, take care.
dave