News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quick lunch, Kung Fu Dawgs were back in stock this visit, can't pass those up no matter how nasty it gets outside.

Wedding anniversary was this week and we've always time shifted it to a close Saturday and gone out for dinner. This year going out is not an option so had to wing it at home.

1 - Appetizer or something to eat while getting other stuff ready, results far greater than it's parts, Gabriel Hamilton's idea, Triscuits with grainy mustard and smoked (Canadian) sardines, cornichons, killer.
2 - Grilled Shrimp in pistachio/miso sauce.
3 - Grapefruit Granita, palette cleanser...
4 - Beef Tenderloin & sauteed fresh veg, sauce of reduced beef stock and yogurt, never had or cooked beef tenderloin before, was worth the cost.
5 - Vienna Souffle with whipped cream, raspberries and Lindt 75% dark chocolate dust.

Proseco and a Chilean Syrah...

Cheers, dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on November 22, 2020, 10:40:52 AM
What are Canadian sardines?

Zat, like, haminacan?

Mostly see Mediterranean produced canned sardines these ones are labelled 'Produced in Canada' harvested from the clear cold waters of the Gulf of Maine, the company, Bar Harbor Foods, 112 Cutler Road, Whiting Maine... ...

Nothing's easy,

As for the plotting of the delimitation line, the Chamber distinguished between three segments, the first two lying within the Gulf of Maine and the third outside it. In the case of the first segment, it considered that there was no special circumstance precluding the division into equal parts of the overlapping of the maritime projections of the two States' coasts. The delimitation line runs from the starting-point agreed between the Parties, and is the bisector of the angle formed by the perpendicular to the coastal line running from Cape Elizabeth to the existing boundary terminus and the perpendicular to the coastal line running from that boundary terminus to Cape Sable. For the second segment, the Chamber considered that, in view of the quasi-parallelism between the coasts of Nova Scotia and Massachusetts, a median line should be drawn approximately parallel to the two opposite coasts, and should then be corrected to take account of (a) the difference in length between the coasts of the two States abutting on the delimitation area and (b) the presence of Seal Island off the coast of Nova Scotia. The delimitation line corresponds to the corrected median line from its intersection with the above-mentioned bisector to the point where it reaches the closing line of the Gulf. The third segment is situated in the open ocean, and consists of a perpendicular to the closing line of the Gulf from the point at which the corrected median line intersects with that line. The terminus of this final segment lies within the triangle defined by the Parties and coincides with the last point of overlapping of the respective 200-mile zones claimed by the two States. The co-ordinates of the line drawn by the Chamber are given in the operative part of the Judgment.

https://www.icj-cij.org/en/case/67

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rockola

Risotto with porcini and horn of plenty mushrooms, self picked of course. Recipe by Catalan master chef Fran Boronat whose cooking course I was fortunate to attend last year in Barcelona.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

davent

Quote from: rockola on November 22, 2020, 12:42:04 PM
Risotto with porcini and horn of plenty mushrooms, self picked of course. Recipe by Catalan master chef Fran Boronat whose cooking course I was fortunate to attend last year in Barcelona.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Looks real good! Is that a jar of Vegemite in back there?

My daughter visited Barcelona last year as well, unfortunately didn't take any cooking classes, she did come home with tales of paella.
dave

davent

Back to earth today. Bacon and eggs with roasted rosemary/garlic root vegetables. Fingerling potatoes, carrots, parsnips and these very cool, very small Japanese turnips, white and somewhat smaller than i ping pong ball. Chili flake salt & Sriracha.

The beat goes on...
dave

rockola

Quote from: davent on November 22, 2020, 04:53:39 PM
Quote from: rockola on November 22, 2020, 12:42:04 PM
Risotto with porcini and horn of plenty mushrooms, self picked of course.
Looks real good!
Will definitely try that again, next time with funnel chanterelles.
Is that a jar of Vegemite in back there?
Well spotted. Sitting there waiting for brekky. Down to my last jar so hoping things get back to some definition of normal before I run out.
Quote from: davent on November 22, 2020, 04:57:40 PM
Back to earth today. Bacon and eggs with roasted rosemary/garlic root vegetables. Fingerling potatoes, carrots, parsnips and these very cool, very small Japanese turnips, white and somewhat smaller than i ping pong ball. Chili flake salt & Sriracha.
That looks really good. My attempts at frying eggs usually end up with them being overcooked, those look just right. The veggies look delicious too.

davent

Thanks, i regularly fail with eggs, bust the folk, over cook, the window of acceptable yolk is so small, get side tracked for a moment and i've lost. Chain myself to the pan and a stop watch and things are getting consistent.

Using a heavy carbon steel pan heat it 5 minutes at my prescribed heat setting, oil and butter go in at 4.5min, eggs at 5, turn the heat way down, even off and then sit tight, don't go anywhere, babysit that egg until its right, it's only a couple minutes, sometimes put a lid on the pan to speed up the top cooking, if i wander off i fail, i'm no multitasker.

If i crack an egg directly into the pan i'm sure to mess up a yolk so i'll crack into a small bowl first. I was way better at this when i was six years old.
dave

midwayfair

Ghee in a ripping hot pan, split the whites with a fork around the yoke and then spoon the hot butter over the eggs, done in about 30 seconds. It's not a fried egg to me if the edges don't brown and I can't get that without high heat. If I don't want the yoke super runny I'll flip it in the pan (spatulas are for chumps) for 10 seconds.

I'll do French omelets that way sometimes, too, like Julia did them, but the American's test kitchen version where you preheat the pan and cook it covered with the fire off works every time, too.

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on November 23, 2020, 06:29:15 PM
Ghee in a ripping hot pan, split the whites with a fork around the yoke and then spoon the hot butter over the eggs, done in about 30 seconds. It's not a fried egg to me if the edges don't brown and I can't get that without high heat. If I don't want the yoke super runny I'll flip it in the pan (spatulas are for chumps) for 10 seconds.

I'll do French omelets that way sometimes, too, like Julia did them, but the American's test kitchen version where you preheat the pan and cook it covered with the fire off works every time, too.

Jon, not sure what you mean by "split the whites with a fork around the yoke..."?
dave

davent

Watched the Julia Childs Omelette video last night, never seen anything of hers before, lots to take away.

My pan is a bit small by her measures, i searched out the size for a 2egg omelette and the recommended size was 7" as she mentions. Pans are sold by rim size the smallest i found was an 8", Julia the first to mention 7" base for your pan which is more likely a 9" rimmed pan.

My non-stick pan's heavy stainless steel rather than light aluminum so will take longer to come up to temperature, that and like her my 31 years old next Tuesday (day we moved in here), like Julia's has coil burners that take their time heating up.

Cooking heat wise, judging by the time it takes for the butter to melt/settle and how quickly the eggs set i'm right in that ballpark, i think of that being a low middling heat level.

Technique wise i'll have to give her shaking method a go, I've been working on the Pépin and his disciples method which is the back of fork swirl she alludes to, though i don't use a fork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RoLavF2ZLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1XoCQm5JSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__zptEU9vE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDl6MlgL8PM

Don't get much practice,  last stab from August.

dave

midwayfair

Quote from: davent on November 23, 2020, 07:56:48 PM
Jon, not sure what you mean by "split the whites with a fork around the yoke..."?

Stick your fork in the egg white and cut through to the pan, so the white from the top fills in the gap, and do that close to the yoke, it'll keep the egg from bulging too much in the middle and cook more of the white through without needing to flip the egg and apply heat directly to the yoke (which would set it).

davent

alanp

Something that drives my sister up the wall is my insistance on cooking with my good cast iron pan. It needs more oil than nonstick if you want things to not, well, stick to the bottom, but I like it. You can heat it up as much as your stove will allow, you can use any damn sort of utensil you like, metal or otherwise, and when cleaning it, you can go to town on it with the steel wool.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Just another Thursday in the 'Great White North', my nod to Thanksgiving tradition and as close as i'm interested in getting to turkey.

Turkey Craw Bean Soup #2 - Pasta e Fagioli.

From our garden, last harvest tomatoes still ripening up dependably in the basement,  garlic and turkey craw beans. From the market today to complete the soup needed celery, a loaf of sourdough spelt bread and pastéis de Nata for dessert. Orechiette pasta. Not much else in the soup, some Aleppo pepper, parsley and olive oil to dress things up, hit the spot.

This one would fit into the vegan pigeon hole.

Take care.dave.