News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Apparently yesterday was pie day, my wife made one using rhubarb and raspberries from our 2020 garden as well as 2020 blackberries from one of our farmer's markets, 11% yogurt for the finish.

Prelude to pie, grilled half chicken with thyme, beluga lentils braised in chicken stock with diced veg and bacon, green beans with capers, anchovies, garlic, lemon juice and zest.

Take care, have a good week,dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

A quick one, won't be long until we can source all the fresh bits but the avocado in the backyard. Sourced most everything at the Farmers market the major exception being garlic of which we grow a years worth. Kalamata olives, pepperoncini, bacon, Gruyere cheese, toppings of guacamole, salsa fresca, yogurt.

Cheers,dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Weather's been a perfect intro to spring.

Saturday dinner,  fish and chips, sorta, try to always have a bag of shrimp in the freezer and to that end, curried shrimp cakes, duck fat oven fries with Aleppo pepper & Sriracha mayo. Brussels sprouts slaw with red cabbge, carrots, radish & roasted garlic, honey mustard dressing.

Sunday night grill, rib eye, sauteed mixed muhrooms, shiitake, black oyster, King oyster, enoki & cremini, stir fried bok choy with garlic, shallots, chili flakes and chicken stock.

Take care!dave

davent

First harvest of 2021, do chives count?

Potato/leek/bacon soup, chicken stock and butter round out the ingredient.

HAve a good weekend,dave

matmosphere

Dave, you cooking and photography is always inspiring. You are quite the artist

I remember picking up a very good veggie burger recipe from this thread a while back. I thought I'd share another that I have been liking lately for anyone interested.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/best-black-bean-burgers/

It is quite different, the black beans are the star of the show, and it is a little easier to execute than the other one.

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 27, 2021, 02:23:17 PM
Dave, you cooking and photography is always inspiring. You are quite the artist

I remember picking up a very good veggie burger recipe from this thread a while back. I thought I'd share another that I have been liking lately for anyone interested.

It is quite different, the black beans are the star of the show, and it is a little easier to execute than the other one.

Thanks Matt, a never ending search for new recipes to try, started buying cookbooks in my teens and they just keep coming.

I've bookmarked your burger, looks really good and yeah that Superior burger was a big long operation to get into a bun ready to eat.

Turned into another pretty decent March day for grilling, haven't made London Broil in a long time but always enjoyed so time to revisit.

Flank steak marinated in Maggi/redwine/oil with cilantro, garlic, onion & fresh ginger. The side was a new one , grilled red cabbage with bacon, radishes, cherry tomatoes, garden chives and a blue cheese dressing made with a piece of Shropshire we needed to use up, an amazing orange, blue cheese.

Salad was mesclun based and i ended up using the unused cabbage toppings and dressing.

My wife put together an apple pie this morning, my preferred topping for decades now, plain yogurt, this one an 11% Greek version.

Stay well, dave

midwayfair

I've kinda stopped looking for black bean burgers after learning J. Kenji-Lopez's recipe. It's amazing on every level.

Made "Mexican" pizza last night: churizsoy crumbles, tomatillos, queso Oaxaca, onions, and urfa. Quite good!

EBK

I'm definitely interested.  As a general carnivore, I often shy away from vegetarian recipes that use the word "burger", but this looks like it is not trying to impersonate meat and rather be itself, which I appreciate.  As a bonus, my kids love black beans, so they might actually eat this too!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

Ancho pepper, pork/potato tacos. Sadly last of our pickled Biquinho peppers went into the salsa fresca but new plants are up in the basement for this year's garden, all is not lost.

Potatoes and pork oated with ano pepper, cumin, salt & pepper fired up and ready for the tortilla, avocado, salsa fresca, yogurt, radish and cilantro, Chalula.

Take care, have a good week,dave

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on March 28, 2021, 11:12:22 AM
I've kinda stopped looking for black bean burgers after learning J. Kenji-Lopez's recipe. It's amazing on every level...

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html

When my daughter heard we were making black bean burgers she wasn't going to miss it, based on Matt's link with some deviation to Jon's, very similar recipes, a good amount of overlap. Used Pablano pepper, Ancho chili powder, Chipotle chili powder, had a nice bed of coals in the grill ready to go and it started raining, no place to shelter and continue so ended up doing the patties and toasting the 'buns' in the oven.

Almost vegetarian but somehow bacon found it's way to the party, guacamole, home dills, romaine, cheddar cheese, red onion, side of crunchy, duck fat potatoes. Very impressed, thumbs up all 'round, grilling i'm sure would have taken them to the next level with a crispy smoky crust, i hope, two patties left to cook.

Today's rhubarb/raspberry/blackberry pie.

Take care.dave

davent

Easter Dinner for two. Minced chicken thighs, cooked with tomato paste, garam masala & dried cranberries, water. Served on naan bread with chopped pistachios, baby arugula, radishes and drizzled olive oil.

Tomorrows another holiday,
Easter Monday,
we really milk it,
what do you cook on Easter Monday?
Take care.dave.

mjg

Easter Monday here we don't tend to need to cook - my mum will have given us leftovers from Sunday lunch/dinner, and my grandma (90 this year, she's telling everyone) has sent us home with bags of hot cross buns.  And enough chocolate eggs to last til mid-year.

EBK

My wife and I have a rather unusual food tradition that we usually enjoy around mid-March but got moved to a few days ago this year: Corned Beef Tacos.

The corned beef goes in the slow cooker overnight, then gets shredded.

The tacos are built as follows:
corn tortilla (flour tortilla is acceptable too)
shredded corned beef
hash brown potatoes
raw shredded cabbage
Dubliner cheese
fresh green tomatillo salsa

Sorry I don't have any pics (unless the combination sounds revolting to you, in which case, you're welcome  :P).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

I made Hot Cross Buns yesterday, they were a tasty treat. I had never had them before. Similar to a cinnamon roll but less sweet. The little bit of icing on top were what really tipped the scale to the sweetness side. Didn't get photos unfortunately.

We also dyed some eggs using natural dye. It was an interesting experiment and worked way better than I expected. you basically make the dye by boiling a cup of water with a decent amount of something then straining it and adding a little vinegar. The orange is from yellow onion peel, the red is beets, the blue was red cabbage, and the yellow was tumeric. We go the green ones by double dipping in blue and yellow. Was fun, and not much trouble, plus the kids learned a little something. Don't think I'll buy Paz again anytime soon.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: EBK on April 05, 2021, 04:06:22 AM
My wife and I have a rather unusual food tradition that we usually enjoy around mid-March but got moved to a few days ago this year: Corned Beef Tacos.

The corned beef goes in the slow cooker overnight, then gets shredded.

The tacos are built as follows:
corn tortilla (flour tortilla is acceptable too)
shredded corned beef
hash brown potatoes
raw shredded cabbage
Dubliner cheese
fresh green tomatillo salsa

Sorry I don't have any pics (unless the combination sounds revolting to you, in which case, you're welcome  :P).

Irish tacos!  That sounds really good actually, I might have to try that out